Revit MEP Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit MEP Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit MEP topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Not too distant future of Revit MEP

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
Anonymous
330 Views, 7 Replies

Not too distant future of Revit MEP

I suppose this post is more for Kyle B...

We are in the infant stages of implementing ABS into our engineering firm. The Architectural firms we work with are either using Revit now or will be doing so very soon.

Right now, we are not contractually obligated to use any 3D BIM software on the projects we have in house but I suspect that will change.

What do you envision Revit MEP to be like within the next 6 to 12 months
7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
msdynamix
in reply to: Anonymous

I too am interested in this as well, (speaking with a month of Revit MEP 2008 under my belt) I hope there is some sort of service pack type of upgrade instead of waiting till 2010 for a new version...
Message 3 of 8
Anonymous

Alright now...let's have it...
Message 4 of 8
KyleB_Autodesk

Sorry fellas, I'm out of the office this week for training (see posting time). I'll try to get a full response up here sometime before the end of the week, no time right now.

We're on an annual release cycle, no plans for point releases anytime in the future. This allows us to deliver more year-over-year albiet more spaced out. You might not think that would be the case, but I can assure you it is. As for a Service Pack, we don't do those in Revit, we have Date Builds. Like Service Packs these are purely bug fix releases, and cannot contain new functionality. Our Date Build is coming soon.

Cheers,
Kyle B

Kyle Bernhardt
Director
Building Design Strategy
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 5 of 8
Anonymous

Thanks Kyle!

The concern is how "usable" Revit MEP is at this point in it's development. Although that answer can vary depending on whom you speak with, the bottom line is that we need to produce accurate MEP drawings and still meet the project milestones.

Most of our MEP work is in the Pharma/Bio industry and we need to know if Revit MEP can meet our needs.

We fully realize that content has to be created by us...
Message 6 of 8
Anonymous

Kyle - Do you have any more information for us?
Message 7 of 8
Anonymous

Kyle - Do you have any more information for us?
Message 8 of 8
Anonymous

Indeed. We also must have an answer for many questions. I do not feel that the traditional way of building our drawing sets will work with MEP. Some new method must be implemented.

When your used to showing information "diagramatically", and then are asked to show "as-is" there is a huge problem with the way you represent stuff in MEP. I sould speak volumes about the problems we're facing, with no clear answer from anyone at all at Autodesk - not even when I helped with the Revit: Systems beta.

Contact me and I'll be glad to share my findings and frustrations with Revit MEP, and some of the solutions I've discovered.

Thomas

PS: We're facing a handfull of COE contracts that dictate that their projects are done entirely in BIM starting this year - 2008. Now we must figure out how to implement and use Revit such that a contrctor can read and build the from the drawings. A challenge indeed...

e-mail:
Thoellering@whpacific.com

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report