Revit MEP

Valued Contributor
RAMasterson
Message 11 of 13 (107 Views)

Re: no hidden line in existing duct drop

02-13-2013 06:10 AM in reply to: CADastrophe

So, I have a filter setup Mechanical -Supply that is set to Blue. If I change the Supply duct system to red and delete the filter then the duct turns red. The filter is what is the top priority.

Now, with this setup, is the Duct System and the Filter battling each other? Is the filter unnecessary?

*Expert Elite*
CADastrophe
Message 12 of 13 (104 Views)

02-13-2013 06:48 AM in reply to: RAMasterson

Here is the general Visibility/Graphics Override hierarchy:

Highest Priority

Override by Element

View Filters

Phase Filter

System Overrides

Object Styles

Lowest Priority

I wouldn't say that they're battling each other, necessarily. The benefit to the System Graphic Overrides is that it is a Project-wide setting, whereas View Filters are per View (which isn't so bad when incorporated into View Templates). The downside to System Overrides is that it affect all Categories of Elements that are connected to that System, instead of just the Ducts and Pipes. In the example depicted in the image below, the left sink is being affected by the System Graphic Overrides due to being connected to the Pipe System. The right sink appears correctly because it belong to more than one system, and no longer fits the criteria of the System Override.

Sinks.JPG

There is no "absolute best" way to do this because everyone has different standards. Personally, I prefer View Filters over System Overrides. One of the reasons for this actually pertains to our architectural clients - when they link in our model, our System Overrides are still in affect and they have a heck of a time trying to figure out what's going on. I'm guessing that since they are using Revit Architecture, they do not have access to the Duct and Pipe Systems in order to remove the overrides.

Corey D.                                                                                                                  ADSK_Logo_EE_2013.png    AutoCAD 2014 User  Revit 2014 User
──────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────
⁞|⁞ Please use Mark Solutions!.Accept as Solution and Give Kudos!Give Kudos as appropriate to further enhance these forums. Thank you!
Valued Contributor
RAMasterson
Message 13 of 13 (100 Views)

02-13-2013 07:00 AM in reply to: CADastrophe

Great information Corey, I'll take all of this into consideration when setting up our Revit standards.

Thanks for taking the time to explain things.

Announcements
Are you familiar with the Autodesk Expert Elites? The Expert Elite program is made up of customers that help other customers by sharing knowledge and exemplifying an engaging style of collaboration. To learn more, please visit our Expert Elite website.
Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions or visit the Installation and Licensing Forum to get help installing your software.