Revit MEP Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit MEP Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit MEP topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need to delete unassociated duct lining

8 REPLIES 8
Message 1 of 9
JHenry58
1848 Views, 8 Replies

Need to delete unassociated duct lining

Revit MEP 2012 - We have inherited a revit model that we need to modify. It has some duct lining floating around without any duct associated with it, so it can't be selected. Any suggestions on how to get rid of it?

Thanks,

John

jhenry58 (NNTP handle: John Henry)
You may recognize me from the
hundreds of previous newsreader posts
I've made over the last 10+ years
as John Henry

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
Jrobker
in reply to: JHenry58

I have seen this same issue, except it was insulation, both on pipe and duct. The location of the insulation was were we had placed the piping/duct in a previous location. We than upgraded moved some pipe/duct around and the insulation didn't go with it. The pipe and duct were feet from each other. We had to select everything (individual instances) and remove the insulation and than re-insulate it all over again.

Our file was upgraded from 11-12. Is the same case for you?

Since you cannot select insulation and the duct is nowhere to be found it can be tricky to hunt down the duct in question.

Do you have time to submit this as a bug?

"It's hardware that makes a machine fast. It's software that makes a fast machine slow."

Message 3 of 9
JHenry58
in reply to: Jrobker

Yes, this file was upgraded from an earlier version (not sure which) to 2012. I don't think the lining is associated with any original duct because we have pretty much done a redraw of all the duct work (Don't ask, we inherited a mess). I do know that it is lining, because it disappears if I turn all the lining off.

My next step is to contact the tech support of our re-seller, and let them play with it, but I was hoping someone here had encountered this and had a fix for it.

Thanks for the reply

as John Henry

Message 4 of 9
CoreyDaun

If you open the file with Detach from Central (assuming that worksharing is enabled) you can create a 3D view showing only the ductwork, giving you a method of finding the associated ductwork. By deleting all of the ductwork in its entirety in this file, you can determine whether or not it is even possible to get rid of it.

Corey D.                                                                                                                  ADSK_Logo_EE_2013.png    AutoCAD 2014 User  Revit 2014 User
──────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────
⁞|⁞ Please use Mark Solutions!.Accept as Solution and Give Kudos!Give Kudos as appropriate to further enhance these forums. Thank you!
Message 5 of 9
Jrobker
in reply to: CoreyDaun

For us we could get rid of it.

I think it has to do with the way insulation/lining was applied to duct/pipe in the previous versions vs. now.

There seems to be a break in the parameters. Just like the electrical height parameter from 2009 to 2010.

Once we determined what it was we isolated that category and filter. The Insulation was almost locked in the original placement of the pipe and was still associated to it, it just wasn't around it. If we picked the pipe 10 feet away the insulation would highlight. Remove the insulation and re-insulate.

With 2012 it's a little easier to remove insulation/lining now that the insulation/lining parameters are dinned as one with duct and fittings.

"It's hardware that makes a machine fast. It's software that makes a fast machine slow."

Message 6 of 9
JHenry58

@Anonymous wrote:

If you open the file with Detach from Central (assuming that worksharing is enabled) you can create a 3D view showing only the ductwork, giving you a method of finding the associated ductwork. By deleting all of the ductwork in its entirety in this file, you can determine whether or not it is even possible to get rid of it.

That's kind of where I'm at right now. The lining is not associated with any ductwork presently in the model. Does that mean it can't be deleted at all?

Thanks,

as John Henry

Message 7 of 9
JHenry58
in reply to: Jrobker

@Jrobker wrote:

For us we could get rid of it.

I think it has to do with the way insulation/lining was applied to duct/pipe in the previous versions vs. now.

There seems to be a break in the parameters. Just like the electrical height parameter from 2009 to 2010.

Once we determined what it was we isolated that category and filter. The Insulation was almost locked in the original placement of the pipe and was still associated to it, it just wasn't around it. If we picked the pipe 10 feet away the insulation would highlight. Remove the insulation and re-insulate.

With 2012 it's a little easier to remove insulation/lining now that the insulation/lining parameters are dinned as one with duct and fittings.

I'll report back when I get an answer from our reseller tech support.

Thanks,

as John Henry

Message 8 of 9
CoreyDaun

Perhaps you can get rid of it by deleting the lining Type entirely from the project. In the Project Browser under Families → Duct Linings → Duct Lining, duplicate the existing types and leave named with a "2" at the end. This will allow you to delete the other types (Revit won't allow you to delete the last type) and then you can rename them back to their original names as not to lose them. Delete the original lining types and it should theoretically remove the lining from the project.

Corey D.                                                                                                                  ADSK_Logo_EE_2013.png    AutoCAD 2014 User  Revit 2014 User
──────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────
⁞|⁞ Please use Mark Solutions!.Accept as Solution and Give Kudos!Give Kudos as appropriate to further enhance these forums. Thank you!
Message 9 of 9
mnha

Hi all

I have had the exact same problems both with pipes and ducts, and at one time the "Purge all" funktion worked with pipe insulation, but not with duct insulation. I tried to copy the insulation and delete the standard insulationen, but this did not work either.

The solution:

Then I tried to publish a 3D view with my "Dead insulation" to DWF 3D to find out witch properties it would have, and I found out that it had a "Mark" property and a GUI id.

So my solution is to make a "Duct insulation schedule" and assign and sort after the Mark property and find the Mark of the Dead insulation (found i the 3D DWF) and delete it straight from the schedule. That was my desperate process to get rid of the dead insulation. Long process, but effective! 😉

/Mikkel 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report