Revit MEP Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit MEP Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit MEP topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Multiple tags for Equipment

11 REPLIES 11
Message 1 of 12
mmcglone
1687 Views, 11 Replies

Multiple tags for Equipment

Is it possible to have multiple tags for a single family group.  For example, I have a tag for grilles, but I don't want to use the same tag for my hoods.  (both air terminals) Currently I just edit the hood family and chage the type to mechanical equipment, but I was wondering if multiple tags were possible.

11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12
dennis
in reply to: mmcglone

Yes.  As an example, you will find a light fixture circuit tag and a light fixture type tag.

Message 3 of 12
tburkeWJHQ2
in reply to: dennis

How do you create multiple tag types for a category?  I'm trying to the use tag by category button.

Message 4 of 12
ToanDN
in reply to: tburkeWJHQ2

Edit any existing tag, save as to a new file, and change the category.  Then add labels from the list of available fields for that category or shared parameters.

Capture.PNG

Message 5 of 12
bsammis
in reply to: ToanDN

In addition to what ToanDN said about editing tags, to select which tag the Tag By Category command defaults to, click on the bottom of the "tag" seciton on the ribbon to choose default tags for each category.  In the Tag All command you can choose which tag to apply to all elements of that category in the view.

Message 6 of 12
RobDraw
in reply to: mmcglone

Switching the default tag is even easier after they are in the view. Using create similar sets the default to the selected type.

Rob

Drafting is a breeze and Revit doesn't always work the way you think it should.
Message 7 of 12
tburkeWJHQ2
in reply to: RobDraw

I guess there is a communication issue here.  I don't seem to understand how these answers answer my question.  Again, I'm labeling all kinds of mechanical equipment, some mechanical equipment has 1 tag type and other equipment has a totally different tag style that looks totally different, has different fields, a different shaped icon etc.  I want to be able to click on the tag and switch to a different family type using the drop down after it has been created using the tag by category button .  

Message 8 of 12
mmcglone

As long as your tags are loaded you should be able to select any relevant tag from the drop down menu on the property panel when you select the tag you want to change.
Message 9 of 12
RobDraw

@tburkeWJHQ2 wrote:

I guess there is a communication issue here.  I don't seem to understand how these answers answer my question.

I thought the other posts were covering the question well and I was just giving some additional information about working with multiple tag types for the same category.

Rob

Drafting is a breeze and Revit doesn't always work the way you think it should.
Message 10 of 12
bsammis

I want to be able to click on the tag and switch to a different family type using the drop down after it has been created using the tag by category button .  

You can do exactly that in one of two ways: either create separate tag families for each configuration you want, or create on family with multiple types, each type's label and shape controlled by yes/no visibility parameters unique to that type.  If you're not comfortable with the family editor and creating/adding parameters use the first option.  Once you have the families created and loaded into your project, you can choose which tag is the default option and change any tag to another at any time by selecting it in the plan and using the Properties drop down to choose a different one.

Message 11 of 12
tburkeWJHQ2
in reply to: bsammis

I don't think this works, maybe it did at one point but i don't see the option now.

Message 12 of 12
bsammis

You have to create the tags and load them into your project first.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report