Revit MEP Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit MEP Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit MEP topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Multiple hatches, all of different color?

7 REPLIES 7
SOLVED
Message 1 of 8
atk01160
1728 Views, 7 Replies

Multiple hatches, all of different color?

I am trying to mark out different zones in a building using different colored hatches. However, whenever I change the color of a hatch, it changes the color of all of my filled regions on the sketch. Is there a way to change these colors individually?

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
atk01160
in reply to: atk01160

Solved: After laying out the filled region, go into edit type. Duplicate the layer and name accordingly. Now whatever settings you choose will only remain active on the selected filled region.

Message 3 of 8

Or you could place spaces and create zones then apply parameters to these spaces and zones. Then using legends you can create colour fill plans to show this information. The benefit of this way is that you shouldn't have to do much work later on should the rooms change containing the spaces whereas with filled regions - you have to go round and manually change the boundaries.

If my reply answers your query, please use the Accept as Solution.
Please give Kudos as appropriate to enhance the value of these forums.

Thank you!
Message 4 of 8
Jrobker
in reply to: julianjameson8403

@julianjameson8403 wrote:

Or you could place spaces and create zones then apply parameters to these spaces and zones. Then using legends you can create colour fill plans to show this information. The benefit of this way is that you shouldn't have to do much work later on should the rooms change containing the spaces whereas with filled regions - you have to go round and manually change the boundaries.

This doesn't always work.

It depends on the quality of the archs rooms

It depends on the layout of the rooms and spaces. Like a level open to above extending 3 levels or a track that's above a basketball court. The basketball court space extends up to the bottom of the track and extends to the ceiling in the middle, but the color fill legend goes to the top extents of the space regardless where the outside portion stops. If I have more than 25 spaces on a zone the color fill legend freaks out. It looks like there's Z fighting or random spaces in the color fill will disappear.

However the color fill legend works perfect on a 1 story, 8' ceilings everywhere office building that's 20,000sq ft. kinda like the building in Ade$ks canned tutorials.

I usually have to trick the color fill legend like you mentioned, because I have NEVER had it work perfectly.

Just like everything else in this program.

"It's hardware that makes a machine fast. It's software that makes a fast machine slow."

Message 5 of 8
julianjameson8403
in reply to: Jrobker

I think you have mis-understood where I am coming from in this respect. I'm not talking about a 1 storey Autodesk tutorial and nor am I naive enough to believe that Revit is the answer to all out prayers.

However what I am saying is that the process has a place in design workflow and even if you do a percentage of the building using spaces/zones/colour fill (mainly in areas where you have the 2.4m floor to ceiling heights), you are making the process more efficient, if and when you have to update, compared to effectively using an Autocad Hatching equivalent. Yes there are issues with it but that is where you have to take a view on the most effecticient way to deal wih it and then perhaps revert back to fileld regions, etc.

As you say - Revit has many limitations and it is frustrating that it falls over for no apparent or logical reason. Think yourself lucky you work in a country that the software was designed for - the rest of us have even less functionality due to the lack of localisation!

Thank you!
Message 6 of 8

You're probably right, but all I needed the filled regions for was to make a graphic to forward over to a client. We don't need the filled regions to be there for any purpose than that graphic and will probably delete them once we start laying ductwork.

Message 7 of 8
Jrobker
in reply to: atk01160

Sorry if you felt as if I was attacking you. I wasn't by any means. I'm just venting about the many things that don't work in this program.

atk01160 your right. If we had to keep up with the model changes with the filled regions it would be a huge waste of time, but since we send it out once and delete it. It's just another workaround. 
"It's hardware that makes a machine fast. It's software that makes a fast machine slow."

Message 8 of 8
julianjameson8403
in reply to: Jrobker

Jrobker - No worries - I understand why you are venting. I guess Revit just gets to us all especially with deadlines looming and fighting to get things to work and show properly. "Just another work around" - like that. Someone should write a book of Revit workarounds as you could end up rich very quickly! Smiley Happy

atk01160 - I see why you did what you did and makes sense.

Thank you!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report