Revit MEP Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit MEP Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit MEP topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mulitple Switch Wall Plate

10 REPLIES 10
Message 1 of 11
norcaljess
3586 Views, 10 Replies

Mulitple Switch Wall Plate

See photo below.  I am trying to do a wall plate/switch family for an instance like this, (multiple switches, one plate).  Is it possible in Revit?  The reason why it's important is because we are a modular building manufacturer, modeling our own buildings in Revit before providing shop drawings for our factory.  We are also trying to use Revit as much as possible for scheduling quantities and cut lists for all of our components... single switch wall plates on one line, double on another line, triple on another, etc.

multiple switch wall plate.PNG

Thanks

Jess

10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11
CoreyDaun
in reply to: norcaljess

I had delved into this issue some time ago, and unfortunately it can only be done to a limited degree (a big surprise to us all, right?).

So, of course you can model the multi-gang switch and add three Connectors. No problem, right? Well, the Connectors don't even matter for the purposes of hosting a Switch System. In fact, there is no electrical information even contained in a Switch System, aside from "Switch ID".

Now that brings us to our next issue. Since the switch is a single element, it may only be assigned a single value for "Switch ID". This mean that even if lighting fixtures are connected to it via separate Switch Systems, they will all share the same value for "Switch ID" as well.

Another issue that I'm just tacking on (to rant a little) is that Revit is currently incapable of designed a 3-way switch system, which is a fundamental aspect of design!

As for my current switch configuration...

I have two separate families - "Light Switch (Multi)" and "Light Switch (Extra)", both of the Lighting Devices Category and of the "Switch" Part Type.

Light Switch (Multi)

This family hosts the switch's model, and parametrically resizes and adds (arrays) more switches as defined by the parameters. There is also an embedded Generic Annotation that also changes the number of switch symbols shown based on parameter values. There is a single Electrical Connector in this Family.

Light Switch (Extra)

This family is basically a single Invisible Line and an Electrical Connector. In the Project, this Family is placed beside the "Light Switch (Multi)" elements (with constraints) to provide a host for additional Switch Systems. Additionally, these elements can be Grouped with the switch element, but each instance must be created as a separate Group in order to have different Switch ID values. Also, there is a Shared Parameter in this Family so that it can be filtered out of schedules

This method will allow for multiple "Switch ID" values, seemingly from the same switch, since the latter family has no visible elements. Tagging works very well, except that you cannot easily list multiple switch legs in a string (i.e., "a, b, c").

Anyway - one of the more common methods of bypassing Revit's Switch Systems is to create a Shared Parameter that is added to the Switches, Lighting Fixtures, and associated Tags. Unfortunately, this value of this parameter is manually entered and possesses no automation. So, the way you build this Family depends heavily on how you intend it to be used in the Project: with or without the use of Switch Systems.

Corey D.                                                                                                                  ADSK_Logo_EE_2013.png    AutoCAD 2014 User  Revit 2014 User
──────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────
⁞|⁞ Please use Mark Solutions!.Accept as Solution and Give Kudos!Give Kudos as appropriate to further enhance these forums. Thank you!
Message 3 of 11
norcaljess
in reply to: CoreyDaun

Ai yai yai!  I feel like I'm reading a different language when I read this stuff sometimes!  I have to go back and disect the entire message piece by piece in order to translate it, haha.  Thanks for the help though.  I can figure this out... *deep breath*

Thanks,

Jess

Message 4 of 11
bcaudill

Seriously, don't over complicate this.

1 - Stop using the switch system in REVIT, it's useless.

2 - Add the Switch ID parameter to the lighting families and create an instance based tag to populate them.

3 - Create a switch that can flex based on how many gangs it is. Then a tag that's instance based that says whatever you want.

The best decision I ever made was to stop using the Switch Systems ADESK has included.

~BMC

Message 5 of 11
erin_sprentall
in reply to: bcaudill

I think this is a great idea - however I'm super struggling to make it  work!  Would you be willing to share your family for the world to use and love?!

Message 6 of 11
bcaudill
in reply to: erin_sprentall

Sure....what's your email?

Message 7 of 11
m.voss.alvine
in reply to: bcaudill

The approach we use is to place individual switches, each with a parameter to control the quantity of faceplates visible.  if you need a 3-switch faceplace, we place 3 switches on the plan.  2 switches will have the faceplace parameter set to 0, and the third switch is set to 3.  it keeps all of your systems separate.

Revit MEP 2015 Certified Professional
Revit Architecture 2015 Certified Professional
AutoCAD 2015 Certified Professional

remember to 'accept as solution' if this helped
Message 8 of 11
bcaudill
in reply to: m.voss.alvine

Move the parameter to the lights and all that goes away 🙂

Message 9 of 11

So I was able to set up a family with different parameters to select other switch options.  So far I have 4 switches to choose from nestled into one family.  My next problem is that my annotation symbols are not showing up in ANY plan (floor, dimensioned, RCP, etc) - Nothing is hidden, everything is visible, my cut planes are below the switch height - HELP!

Message 10 of 11
bcaudill
in reply to: erin_sprentall

Are your annotations being controlled via YES/NO parameters?

Message 11 of 11
G.B.AMCK

I use modular switching systems such as MK Grid Plus where the switches are individual modules which fit into a faceplate frame for multi gang switches. Could you build this functionality into your models so each switch is a separate entity? Then model the faceplate and put it all together and use the face plate as your scheduled item. Individual switch "modules" for electrical fidelity which would not be scheduled and faceplate (representing the grid switch) as the quantified item for the schedule?

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report