Revit MEP Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit MEP Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit MEP topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mulitple projects similar in look - can they be copied one to another in Revit

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
ken
Enthusiast
387 Views, 6 Replies

Mulitple projects similar in look - can they be copied one to another in Revit

We are doing several jobs that have basically the same look as each other just different central files. Can all items be copied from one MEP central file to another and just rehost the objects or does the electrical department need to redo all panels and circuiting?

Just wondering,

Ken

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
julianjameson8403
in reply to: ken

First thoughts on the process:-

If you have created one Central file with the required Arch/Str links, you could then save that as another central file and reload new links - (not insert new links!). You will however have lots of ball-ache work to resolve such as re-monitoring levels, grids, etc. and re-hosting elements to building elements.

However benefits included keeping circuits, keeping all elements, keeping all worksets, keeping all views and sheets, etc.

If my reply answers your query, please use the Accept as Solution.
Please give Kudos as appropriate to enhance the value of these forums.

Thank you!
Message 3 of 7
ken
Enthusiast
in reply to: julianjameson8403

Ok that works if one project is done and gets trasnfered to the next one thats not started, but can you copy portions later from one to another just incase a whole wing or floor gets updated in both?

We are tryng to avoid having to make a change(s) in one central file then making the same change(s) in the other central file manually.

Just wondering,

Ken

Message 4 of 7
julianjameson8403

You can do but it's not always a painless task.

Thank you!
Message 5 of 7
ken
Enthusiast

Is there a specific starting method?  We tried copy-clipping the electrical items from one to another and it wouldn't take any of the wall hosted items nor the wiring.  The only thing we found electrically to go was the annotation lines.

Thanks again for replying to my questions,

Ken

Message 6 of 7
julianjameson8403

Wall hosted elements??? Are you not using face based elements? IF not how are you hosting them - reference planes or dummy walls or did you mean face based elements on the arch link walls?

Try creating the elements as a group and then saving the group out of the project. if you are using ref planes to host the elements, you need to include those as well. 

Also are you copying and then pasting to view as opposed to pasting?

One thing that may be causing you a problem is iff the walls are not in the same places between models. I think that if you create a reference plane and re-host the element to the ref plane before copying then that should satop you losing the elements. you would then have to re-host the element to the wall in the new model - if you see what I mean.

Thank you!
Message 7 of 7
ken
Enthusiast

Yes they are face based families hosted to the walls.

I know we tried to create a group and export them that way but I am not sure if we chose reference plans in the filter.  I will try later and report back my findings.

Thanks

Ken

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report