Revit MEP Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit MEP Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit MEP topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Move command constraint

10 REPLIES 10
Message 1 of 11
Adam.Lilyquist_LHB
7216 Views, 10 Replies

Move command constraint

Does anyone know if there is a way to turn off the "constrain" checkbox when i am in the move command? It is such a pain to have to uncheck the box every single time i am going to move something, because 99% of the time, whatever i am moving is not along the line of constraint.
10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11

Why would you want to?

Personally the contraint serves a major purpose in the accuracy of the program. It helps control and regulate default elevations and proper hosting procedure (IE: flush vs. surface mount, etc).

I would place symbols correctly before moving and taking the chance of moving improperly and only uncheck when absolutely necessary.
Message 3 of 11

Thank you for your advice, but do you know any way to do it?

I am working on a riser diagram and am moving and copying lines and groupings of lines all over the place over and over again, and the constraint has to be unchecked every time i move or copy something.
Message 4 of 11

That is interesting. Mine (revit mep 2009 WUD 3) is always unchecked and I don't know what I may have done to have it unchecked. But I do know that holding down the shift key while moving the element toggles the constraint box. If it is checked, it becomes unchecked. If unchecked it becomes checked.
Message 5 of 11

Thanks, the shift button is a lot easier than having to uncheck it every time!
Message 6 of 11
narlee
in reply to: Adam.Lilyquist_LHB

I'm going to request that Revit add a "defaults" dialogue to the "options" because I too find that particular default really annoying, along with others that have been chosen by the factory.

Message 7 of 11
Anonymous
in reply to: Adam.Lilyquist_LHB

The shift key is a good tip.  I am using Revit Architecture and find things that have no real reason being constrained sometimes being constrained by default.  Things like text and detail lines.  This is extremely annoying when I am copying a line of text around a floor plan and have to tell Revit to unconstrain it.  I don't see a real rhyme or reason to the default as sometimes things are and sometimes they are not constrained.  I would think that the default on everything should be to unconstrain it and if we want things to align (like the old ortho) we just hold down shift when moving or copying.   Or better yet, give us a way to control the default.  Autodesk, are you listening...?

Message 8 of 11
mrmelendez
in reply to: bcaudill

What a butthole answer!  Why is it your right to ask why he wants to do something?  When you pay his salary and or manage his project, then feel free to respond this way.  Until then, help answer the question asked or keep scrolling!  I swear, some of the cats in the forum love to think they are better than others.  FYI, you didn't provide any helpful feedback in that douche of a response.

Message 9 of 11
scott_dakin2
in reply to: mrmelendez

bcaudill's answer was valid for how they use the software, the OP's query is relevant to how the OP uses theirs.

Not everybody uses the software in the same way.

With that being said people usually ask this sort of question when they are using Revit like AutoCAD which usually (but not always) means they are doing something 'wrong' or at least not in the most expedient manner given the tools available in Revit.

For example - if you are copying lines around all over the place have you tried Detail Items or Generic Annotations, maybe moving things using Pick New Host rather than Move. Horses for courses I guess, depends what you are doing (2D/3D/Drafting View) as to which method you use.

What exactly are you working on OP?

Message 10 of 11
narlee
in reply to: scott_dakin2

I've been using Revit for 15 years. I want to option to set defaults. Call me "wrong" if you like. 🙂 Is it such a heavy lift for Autodesk?

Message 11 of 11
rs
Observer
in reply to: bcaudill

I think he made it quite clear why he would want to.. because as he says it's a pain having to toggle it off every single time you move something - and 99% of the time he does not want to move it along the axis. Unfortunately it seems the dev team shares your idea of 'but why would you want to' and thus just make the program a hassle and a pain to use through and through. The program already snap along axis without restrain on, with a visual indication it does, also holding shift will auto-restrain if its toggled off in case you want to ensure it is restrained the few times it is needed. If we go to the step and turn restrain off, we expect restrain to be turned off - not to auto enable itself again the next time you select something, it is simple logic to how a software should work - letting the user decide what is best for him and his use.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report