Revit MEP Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit MEP Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit MEP topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MEP light fixture masks linked ceiling grid

19 REPLIES 19
SOLVED
Message 1 of 20
dtiemeyer
4660 Views, 19 Replies

MEP light fixture masks linked ceiling grid

This should be an easy thing. I thought I could just put a masking region in mylight fixture family, but that is not working.

What is the best way to have a 2x4 light fixture mask out the 'middle' line on a 2x2 ceiling grid coming from a linked architectural model?

Thanks!

My other CAD is a Cadillac and I like to Revit to the Max!
19 REPLIES 19
Message 2 of 20
CoreyDaun
in reply to: dtiemeyer

I think that there are potentially two issues at work here:

1. If you are placing a recessed Light Fixture, you have to make sure that the bottom of it is not flush with the ceiling - the bottom of the fixture will have to be slightly lower than the ceiling in order to mask it.

2. There is a behavior regarding the surface patterns of "Out-Of-Discipline" elements in which they are not masked by "In-Discipline" elements. If your View is set to the Electrical Discipline, then all architectural elements (i.e. the Ceilings) are considered "Out-Of-Discipline" and thus, their surface pattern (i.e. the grid) cannot be masked by the Light Fixtures, which are of course "In-Discipline". To test, ensure that #1 above is addressed and then change your View's Discipline to Architectural. Does it mask the grid now?

Corey D.                                                                                                                  ADSK_Logo_EE_2013.png    AutoCAD 2014 User  Revit 2014 User
──────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────
⁞|⁞ Please use Mark Solutions!.Accept as Solution and Give Kudos!Give Kudos as appropriate to further enhance these forums. Thank you!
Message 3 of 20
dtiemeyer
in reply to: CoreyDaun

Thanks for the feedback, Corey, but unfortunately I tried both those things (separately & together) and the light fixture still does not mask the ceiling grid. I even tried with a ceiling grid in my MEP model (not linked) and get the same results. It doesnt matter which discipline I set my view to, the grid will not mask.

(this should go without saying, but I am working in a 'Ceiling Plan' not a 'Floor Plan')

Any more thoughts are greatly appreciated.

Message 4 of 20
CoreyDaun

Can you recreate this scenario in a new Project File (no template) and post it here? What version of Revit are you using? It might be that the physical geometry of the Family is not visible in Plan/RCP Views so that there is nothing visible to mask the ceiling. Another simple thing is to check if your View is set to Visual Style: Wireframe. Or by chance, the Lighting Fixtures Category is set with Transparency.

Corey D.                                                                                                                  ADSK_Logo_EE_2013.png    AutoCAD 2014 User  Revit 2014 User
⁞|⁞ Please use Mark Solutions!.Accept as Solution and Give Kudos!Give Kudos as appropriate to further enhance these forums. Thank you!
Message 5 of 20
dtiemeyer

Ok, here it is. The only thing I've been able to figure out, is that the 'architectural' troffer light [that ships with Revit MEP 2013 (Update 3) that I'm on], is that troffer family is ceiling hosted and has an 'opening cut' in the ceiling. But as far as I can tell, that is not an option in a workplane hosted family which is what I'm using. I'm also going to upload this to my Subscription support to see what their thoughts are.  Thanks Corey.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/8crvsorn8kt4e48/Light%20Fixture%20Masking%20Block%20question.rvt

Message 6 of 20
CoreyDaun

Alright - I've downloaded your file and am looking at View "FIRST FLOOR LIGHTING PLAN".

I got the fixture to mask the ceiling grid by (A) changing the View's Discipline to "Architectural" or "Coordination", (B) Changing the View's Visual Style to "Hidden Line", and (C) editing the Family so that the bottom of the Light FIxture extends beyond the host face and reloaded it. See image below.

FixtureFrontElev.JPG

Message 7 of 20
dtiemeyer

Corey, thank you. You nailed it! Those 3 things, all set 'correctly' (at least to what Revit wants) do result in the ceiling grid being masked. Also, I tweaked my light fixture family so that the extrusion extends 1/4" below the ceiling, this allows the light fixture to be 'inserted' at at even 8'-0" and still cause the masking behavior we want. Too bad the views get re-sorted into 'Architectural' group, but that's minor. At least it will print a lot better now.

Cheers!

Message 8 of 20
dtiemeyer

Ugh, but making it Hidden Line breaks my 'solid fills' that denote Emergency Lights.

FML.
Message 9 of 20
CoreyDaun

Attach your Family file for a fixture with the EM shading - I'll take a look.

Message 10 of 20
dtiemeyer

Your efforts are very much appreciated.

Note: I have not yet added the 'masking' region to this one.

Message 11 of 20
CoreyDaun

This can be solved by hosting the nested Detail Item Family to the face of the Extrusion instead of to the Ref. Level. First, adjust the extrusion so that the bottom face of the fixture extends beyond the host face. In the Ref. Level View, select the Detail Item Family and with it still selected, navigate to a 3D View. Select "Edit Work Plane" from the Ribbon, choose "Pick a Plane", Click "OK", and then select the appropriate Face of the Extrusion.

Message 12 of 20
dtiemeyer

You're my hero.
Message 13 of 20
wilco4

I'm having the same issue with ceiling grids. Can you post your fixture that eliminates this issue? Thanks!

Message 14 of 20
wilco4

Can you post a sample of the fixture mentioned? I'm having the same issue with ceiling grids. Thanks!

Message 15 of 20
CoreyDaun
in reply to: wilco4

Sorry for the delay; here is an example family in Revit 2012 format using the default Revit recessed light fixture Family.

Message 16 of 20
wilco4

Thanks!

Message 17 of 20
jrice

Good question and great solution...this helped me a lot!

Jaret Rice
Autodesk Certified Professional Revit 2015
Message 18 of 20
hmunsell
in reply to: jrice

What I have done is create a Detail Item family that I place in the Light fixture family. In the detail item family I have symbolic lines, 2 filled regions (for the emergency fill) and a masking region (for non-emergency). I set 2 new parameters for Emergency and Non-Emergency so they can be turned on or off as needed when the family is placed.

It doesn't seem to mask the ceiling grids in the electrical file (not sure why), but my electrical guys only use the grid for placement and then turn it off anyway. When the Electrical model is linked into the Arch file though, the Elec lights do hide the ceiling grid in the Arch file.

I have attached a sample Recessed Light Fixture and the detail item family for your use.

Howard Munsell
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 19 of 20
jpedro2X7JM

Re: MEP light fixture masks linked ceiling grid

Alright - I've downloaded your file and am looking at View "FIRST FLOOR LIGHTING PLAN".

I got the fixture to mask the ceiling grid by (A) changing the View's Discipline to "Architectural" or "Coordination", (B) Changing the View's Visual Style to "Hidden Line", and (C) editing the Family so that the bottom of the Light FIxture extends beyond the host face and reloaded it. See image below.

FixtureFrontElev.JPG

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hello, Could you please make a little video tutorial on how you do this? This would help me a lot. Thank you so much

Message 20 of 20
dtiemeyer
in reply to: jpedro2X7JM

Please just download the family, and a little bit of reverse-engineering to make it would should provide the knowledge you need. The Light Fixture must be a 3d solid family, face based, where a small (1/8" is enough) portion of the solid extrudes past where the ceiling finished face will be. The Ceiling Plan view must be in either Architectural or Coordination groups and set to hidden line. 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report