Revit MEP Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit MEP Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit MEP topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mechanical View Display

9 REPLIES 9
SOLVED
Message 1 of 10
WheelerCJ
1286 Views, 9 Replies

Mechanical View Display

Hello,

When I make my view discipline 'Mechanical' it turns my generic model familes 'grey'. Is there as way to stop this happening? I can use co-ordination but then my pipes dont appear dashed when they cross/go under my generic models.

Thanks in advance.

9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
Alfredo_Medina
in reply to: WheelerCJ

The "discipline" parameter has its own rules, independent from view templates and visibility settings. Unfortunately, those rules are not editable. Perhaps you should change the category of your generic models to something more specific.

Alfredo Medina _________________________________________________________________ ______
Licensed Architect (Florida) | Freelance Instructor | Autodesk Expert Elite (on Revit) | Profile on Linkedin
Message 3 of 10
WheelerCJ
in reply to: Alfredo_Medina

Thanks for your quick reply.

I'm actually working on a job I did years ago so was set up when I first started using RMEP. My main gripe with using mechanical equipement was that I couldn't cut a section through the object like I can with a generic model. Is this something I'm doing wrong or is this standard for mechanical equipement?

I mean when I place my section line it doesn't matter where it's placed as the section will always display as an elevation.
Message 4 of 10
Alfredo_Medina

Some categories ignore section lines. Mechanical equipment is one of those. Generic models does respond to section lines, but, ... the "mechanical" discipline shows generic models in half tone. No way to get both things at the same time, unfortunately. 😞

I have never understood why the users are not able to determine which categories respond to section lines and which categories ignore them. It's a decision from the Factory for which we have no control.

Alfredo Medina _________________________________________________________________ ______
Licensed Architect (Florida) | Freelance Instructor | Autodesk Expert Elite (on Revit) | Profile on Linkedin
Message 5 of 10
WheelerCJ
in reply to: Alfredo_Medina

Thanks again for your reply.

I'm not at my desk right now so I can't test. Is there a list of the family categories that respond to a section cut?

Is there a way to maybe have the discipline coordination but still have the pipes/ducts showing as dashed when they cross objects/themselves?
Message 6 of 10
Alfredo_Medina

About your first question: type VG. Look at the Cut / pattern column. Any category that has a grey box in that column ignores section lines.

Message 7 of 10
WheelerCJ

Hello,

I had a play this morning and I found a solution. Whilst having my view as mechanical I was able to turn off the halftone on my generic models. I went to MANAGE>ADDITIONAL SETTINGS> HALFTONE/UNDERLAY and in there I can untick the 'apply halftone' and that works a treat.

Thanks for your help.

Message 8 of 10
Alfredo_Medina

But that eliminates ALL the halftone, not just the halftone of generic models. Isn't this the same as using the Coordination discipline?

Message 9 of 10
WheelerCJ

Hello,

Co-ordination view doesnt show my pipes beneath my structures (gen models) whereas mechanical view does. I appreciate what you're saying but in this project there is only pipes, ducts and generic models and this workaround does the job although it may not be suitable for other projects.

Thanks again for your help.

Message 10 of 10
CoreyDaun

If you are not satisfied with any of the above suggestions (or making the Discipline Coordination and then making Generic Models transparent), then perhaps you could set the View to the Mechanical Discipline, and then create a separate view (Coordination) that show ONLY your Generic Models and then overlay that Viewport on top of the Mechanical View on the Sheet. It's a pain, but what you are seeking to do it very difficult since Revit sees "Generic Models" as an Architectural Category.

Corey D.                                                                                                                  ADSK_Logo_EE_2013.png    AutoCAD 2014 User  Revit 2014 User
──────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────
⁞|⁞ Please use Mark Solutions!.Accept as Solution and Give Kudos!Give Kudos as appropriate to further enhance these forums. Thank you!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report