Revit MEP Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit MEP Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit MEP topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mechanical layers are gray

2 REPLIES 2
SOLVED
Message 1 of 3
DougWeaver
348 Views, 2 Replies

Mechanical layers are gray

Recieved Revit drawings fro Arch. and when I upgraded them to release 15 and put them together, the mechanical layers were all gray.  Any Ideas?  In addition, none of the drawing showed up in the Project Browser.  I did manage to get the floor plans to appear by going to Views/Plan Views, but the rest of the drawings that should be there, are not.

(And yes I am new to Revit)   Thanks,

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
SteveKStafford
in reply to: DougWeaver

Revit views have a Discipline parameter. Architecture and Coordination disciplines place no graphic bias on what is displayed. Mechanical, Electrical and Plumbing will gray other discipline model elements. Structural places its own bias to gray out everything else, with a focus on structure. It sounds like your views may be assigned to Structural?

When you link models together the views, grids and levels etc of the linked model are not added to yours. The grids and levels can be seen but your model does not have its own. A typical MEP template has at least a couple of Levels to start with. You need to create additional levels to match the architect and structural engineers model so your elements will have equivalent "floors" to be based on. A tool called Copy/Monitor can be used help keep your levels and others coordinated, grids too among other things.

Starting a project from scratch you should:

Link Architects model using Positioning - Auto - Origin to Origin

Select Architects model - Properties Palette > click Edit Type

Check Room Bounding parameter

Edit Phase Mapping - match up phase names to corresponding phase names in your model

Open an Elevation View to compare Levels, adjust existing levels to match theirs, create new ones to match those you don't have (Copy/Monitor)

In a plan view decide if you need to have your own grid lines, create them if so (Copy/Monitor)

Create plan views and Ceiling plan views for each discipline you need

Adjust the display of each view, using Visibility/Graphics (View Templates and Filters help too)

There is more subtlety to everything but that's a quick overview, you can start modeling systems.

My other older self here: http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/user/viewprofilepage/user-id/46056
Message 3 of 3
DougWeaver
in reply to: SteveKStafford

Thanks Steve, you are my new hero. 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report