Revit MEP Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit MEP Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit MEP topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

material color not comming in?

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
revitworkbench
350 Views, 7 Replies

material color not comming in?

Ok, so I dont think Ive had this problem since grad school, so Im a little fuzzy on the details of how I once got it to work. But I have a family with a nested family which has materials associated to it (which are colored). everything looks fine in the both the nested family and once the nested family is loaded into its parent family. But when I load it into the project, I lose the colors of the associated materials (everything turns black)> if I remember correctly, I think it had something to do with phase filters, but I went in there and poked around for a minute, but didnt see any obvious culprits. What am I missing? I feel like it is something stupid but please help anyways! Thanks!

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
CoreyDaun
in reply to: revitworkbench

How did you go about changing the material/color? If you change the settings of a Material that is already defined in a Project, a loaded Family will adopt the Material definition that already exists within the Project in lieu of using its own definition.

Corey D.                                                                                                                  ADSK_Logo_EE_2013.png    AutoCAD 2014 User  Revit 2014 User
──────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────
⁞|⁞ Please use Mark Solutions!.Accept as Solution and Give Kudos!Give Kudos as appropriate to further enhance these forums. Thank you!
Message 3 of 8
revitworkbench
in reply to: CoreyDaun

I chose the nylon material, duplicated it, renamed it, then changed its render appearance, surface pattern and cut pattern to what I wanted...

Message 4 of 8
CoreyDaun

What version of Revit are you using?

Corey D.                                                                                                                  ADSK_Logo_EE_2013.png    AutoCAD 2014 User  Revit 2014 User
⁞|⁞ Please use Mark Solutions!.Accept as Solution and Give Kudos!Give Kudos as appropriate to further enhance these forums. Thank you!
Message 5 of 8
revitworkbench

Revit 2014 (from Ultimate Suite)

Message 6 of 8
CoreyDaun

To start - I've done little with the Material Browser, but I have found that if you 'duplicate' a Material, it retains an association with the original Material. Try using 'Create New Material' instead. But, do note what I said in my first reply. If you load this Family into another Family, that Material will be imported as well. This will only apply the first time, so if you have to change that Material in the Nested Family, reloading it will not replace that Material definition in the Host Family.

Message 7 of 8
revitworkbench

How do i change the material/color of a loaded DWG saved as and RFA? It appears that the only thing it is possible to associate to is the default material. But if I load it into an new family or project it loses it automatically. Can I somehow duplicate the default in the host, and sort of reverse apply it to the nested family? Or how exactly do you color it? I cant paint it as far as the methods Ive tried. What gives? Thanks!
Message 8 of 8
CoreyDaun

I don't believe there is much you can do from the Revit side. However, you should be able to define a color in the AutoCAD file. Attached is an example AutoCAD 2012 .dwg file with three colored cubes which retain their color once loaded into a Revit Family.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report