Revit MEP Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit MEP Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit MEP topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mask region does not mask when printing

21 REPLIES 21
SOLVED
Message 1 of 22
revitese
7236 Views, 21 Replies

Mask region does not mask when printing

So I've been working on some valve families which all have the exact same problem. There is true geometry that only shows in Fine detail level, and then there is an annotation built into the family that displays in Coarse and Medium detail levels. When the true geometry is smaller than the annotation scale, the pipes are shown underneath the annotation. I have created a mask region to hide the overlapped pipes which works in Revit, but once I print the view, the mask region has no effect whatsoever.

Any tips would be appreciated. I have seen similar problems on the forum, but none so far with answers.

UPDATE: I have been able to get the mask regions to work when the view is set to "Shaded." However, this is not ideal and I would like the regions to function in the Hidden Line Visual Style.

Revit 2014
21 REPLIES 21
Message 2 of 22
revitese
in reply to: revitese

Going to raster processing has worked, but this is not a solution when we have to print PDFs. Does anyone know of a way to make masking regions print properly with vector processing?

Revit 2014
Message 3 of 22

This could be caused by many factors,

First factor, Your View may be corrupted.

I am not sure if it is a drafing view or a model view

If it is a drafting you may need to create a new drafting view and copy/paste. Or even try to open OOB template and copy paste it and see if the issue is fixed ot not.

If it is a model view then you need to Duplicate the view without the details and then copy (the details)-- paste aligned in the view from the first view to the duplicated view and see if could fix it

Alaaeldin Alsahli

Please mark Accept as Solution if your question is answered. Kudos gladly accepted. ⇘
Message 4 of 22

Second factor the graphic card Driver is not Regenerating the right way so next thing you should check, is updating your graphic card driver with an Autodesk certified driver. Here is the link of all Autodesk graphic drivers that is tested with Revit 2014 in a Windows 7 Environment. If you found your driver, I suggest you to uninstall completely the older one, Reboot and install the certified one. (P.S Keep in mind that an Autodesk certified driver is not always the latest driver. So please make sure is been downloaded from this link below)

http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/syscert?siteID=123112&id=18844534&results=1&stype=graphic&produ...

if it is found and been installed correctly, go to Revit options---Graphics and see if you have any warning, if you don’t have any warning. it is suggested to CHECK Hardware acceleration and then see if the printing is fixed

In case you don't find an Autodesk certified graphic driver, then please update your driver with the latest driver you could find. Make sure the Hardware Acceleration is UNCHECK before printing.

Alaaeldin Alsahli

Please mark Accept as Solution if your question is answered. Kudos gladly accepted. ⇘
Message 5 of 22

The views in question are all model views. I am not sure what you are referring to when you are explaining how to copy the details. And I have checked back with the Certified Hardware list and my computer is running an acceptable graphics card and driver.

Support has contacted me and explained that while this is a problem that many others are reporting, there is no real solution so far.

Revit 2014
Message 6 of 22

The development are working on it, and it may be fix with a 2015 update or on the next version 

Alaaeldin Alsahli

Message 7 of 22

Ok. Thank you for your time.

Revit 2014
Message 8 of 22

No problem, At least for now you could use the Raster processing option

Alaaeldin Alsahli

Message 9 of 22
eklemme
in reply to: revitese

I have found a work around for this issue by putting a masking region in the valve family rather than just in the symbol.

this Masking Region is only visible in plan and has an adjustable length to match the symbol. It is definately not a final fix and I am hoping that the masking region fix comes soon. However in the meantime this solution can help. As you can see in the images attached by adjusting the Masking Region per the scale of the drawing you can have the view show the way you need it. This is an instance parameter however, if the same valve is shown in plan on two different scale drawings the Masking Region will be incorrect in one of them.

Quarter inch scale Masking Region.PNGEighth inch scale Masking Region.PNG.

Message 10 of 22

Several years have passed and this is still an issue with all version of Revit...

Switching to raster printing is not a solution, as the quality of the PDF is greatly reduced.

Autodesk needs to refocus their efforts of fixing some of the fundamental flaws of the software.

Message 11 of 22

This issue still has not been solved! I am running Version 2018.3.

For MEP Revit users this is a must. All my pipe accessories have a generic annotation to show up in course/medium and are simply masking regions with a visible frame (ex. a gate valve is just two triangles). The idea is to cover the pipe beneath because when we drawing at 1:100 the valve symbol is almost always larger than the actual valve therefore the pipes will show through the symbol.  Don't tell me to print raster I just end up with a non responsive computer and having poor quality files that are way larger and take light years to open as a pdf.

Message 12 of 22
RobDraw
in reply to: mikewp90

Thanks for not posting any sort of solution.

Rob

Drafting is a breeze and Revit doesn't always work the way you think it should.
Message 13 of 22
bgodava.cjl.pit
in reply to: RobDraw

I don't believe there is a viable end-user solution or workaround.

I have reached out to Autodesk concerning this issue and their 'solution' was to print using raster.

Using raster printing is NOT a solution...

We should not have to keep begging Autodesk to fix such a fundamental feature.

Sad thing is, this wasn't always a problem.  Somewhere along the line, either a Revit update and/or Windows update caused the glitch.  Now, instead of fixing the issue, it would appear we just have to live with it...

Message 14 of 22

Is this ever going to get any attention from Autodesk?

Message 15 of 22
RobDraw
in reply to: d.dewitt

It has been addressed. Not sure if it works but am looking forward to trying it out. 

Rob

Message 16 of 22
bgodava.cjl.pit

When you say it has been addressed, is this a 2019 thing?

Message 17 of 22
RobDraw
in reply to: bgodava.cjl.pit

2019.2, I believe. 

Rob

Message 18 of 22
nicke

This has not been fixed in 2019.2 from what i can tell.

Message 19 of 22
bgodava.cjl.pit
in reply to: nicke

I’m pretty sure this issue has finally been resolved in 2020, however what Autodesk doesn’t seem to understand is that, as an MEP consulting firm, we are at the liberty of the architect when it comes to version usage...  At the moment I still have several hundred jobs activity running in Revit 17, 18 & 19.  Every one of them still has this masking region printing issue.  

Autodesk needs to release updates or patches to resolve is issue in legacy versions.  It will be two more years until all of our projects are in 2020 or newer.

Message 20 of 22

I agree with you here on a legacy patches. I do sprinkler works, i got hundreds of symbols that needs a mask. If i don't print raster the plans looks really "funky" because of each "rise" and number of fittings required to install a sprinkler.

Like you i doubt i'll be seeing 2020 this year or even the next, but would love to finally have quality print plans.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report