Revit MEP Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit MEP Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit MEP topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lookup Table using numbers?

28 REPLIES 28
Message 1 of 29
Gyvven
3151 Views, 28 Replies

Lookup Table using numbers?

I've been trying to make lookup tables for Mechanical Equipment to return values for KVA based on HP but I can't seem to get numbers to work despite the WikiHelp stating that you can. Lookup tables seem like they would be a great solution and would really help streamline things if they worked as stated. The only parameter type I've been able to get to work is length, though I haven't tried area, volume or angle, but certainly other and number don't work. I could take all of my parameters and create duplicates defined as length and convert them back and forth to get the lookup table to work but I'm wondering if anyone else has had success in getting numbers to return?

To return numbers I've tried all of the suggestions I've found including ##number##, ##other## and ##other##number, but only one suggestion has worked and the person posting said he was told by Autodesk to use length and then convert it to unitless by dividing by 1' or 1". This seems to work but it's not accurate because the value .528 KVA turns into 135/256" which then converts to .527344. I could probably change the units to feet instead of inches and gain a bit more resolution but I feel I should be able to bring in numeric values to populate my family without all the goofey workarounds.

An interesting thing I've discovered is that  there are 2 sub-folders in the Lookup Tables directory for Pipe and Conduit and the csv file for the Mechanical Equipment ONLY works if the file is in the Pipe folder and not in the main Lookup Tables folder.

28 REPLIES 28
Message 2 of 29
CoreyDaun
in reply to: Gyvven

First off, what version/release of Revit are you using? Using Revit MEP 2013, I created a simple Type Catalog using the following:

NumParam##OTHER##, LenParam##LENGTH##FEET, IntParam##OTHER##, AngParam##ANGLE##DEGREES

All of these worked as expected, so I'm likely not fully grasping the exact problem you're having. Can you post your Family and Type Catalog here?

Corey D.                                                                                                                  ADSK_Logo_EE_2013.png    AutoCAD 2014 User  Revit 2014 User
──────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────
⁞|⁞ Please use Mark Solutions!.Accept as Solution and Give Kudos!Give Kudos as appropriate to further enhance these forums. Thank you!
Message 3 of 29
kitsmiller
in reply to: CoreyDaun

Do have an example of how you used this?

Message 4 of 29
CoreyDaun
in reply to: kitsmiller

Certainly. Attached are two files; the Revit Family (.rfa) (2012 format) and the Type Catalog (.txt) file. Place both of these into the same folder, and load the Family into a Project using the "Load Family" function in the Project. If you use "Load into Project" from an open Family, the Type Catalog will be ignored. For more information, refer to these Help pages:

Creating a Type Catalog  Loading a Family with a Type Catalog

If you run into any trouble, don't hesitate to post back here.

Just to state, the OP was referring to Lookup Tables, which are another animal, entirely.

Corey D.                                                                                                                  ADSK_Logo_EE_2013.png    AutoCAD 2014 User  Revit 2014 User
⁞|⁞ Please use Mark Solutions!.Accept as Solution and Give Kudos!Give Kudos as appropriate to further enhance these forums. Thank you!
Message 5 of 29
Gyvven

Kitsmiller,

I know you weren't asking me about an example, because I don't have any that worked, but I wanted to get back to this topic and tell what I've found... or didn't.

I could find no way to make any of my number parameters work, I ended up using an IF statement that when I was finished typing it out took up most of my screen and looked at 3 different parameters to determeine the output. It would have been a huge time savings had I just been able to program a lookup table to pull my KVA values. I'm going to go back and revisit the problem and see if I can get it to work somehow.

Message 6 of 29
Gyvven

Corey,

Yes Type Catalogs are very different, I haven't had any issues getting any of my type catalogs to work, except the issue with Revit not updating the IES file, even though it says it's the right one it typically uses the IES file from the default family unless you select the IES file and reload it after the family is loaded. This is a known issue and nothing to do with this problem.

I was hoping you'd have an example of a lookup table that worked for you.
Message 7 of 29
kitsmiller

I'd be very interested in what you came up with if you are willing to share.

I was trying to write my table based on the NEC 2011 reference table 430.250; and have shared parameters tied to Mech so that I could more then likely pick up 80% of the design to be automated. Then I could add more to pick up my Disconnect sizes based on a factor of 1.75 for VFD and 2.25 for Starting current.

Thoughts? 

Message 8 of 29
CoreyDaun

Gyvven wrote: 

"...I could find no way to make any of my number parameters work, I ended up using an IF statement that when I was finished typing it out took up most of my screen and looked at 3 different parameters to determeine the output. It would have been a huge time savings had I just been able to program a lookup table to pull my KVA values. I'm going to go back and revisit the problem and see if I can get it to work somehow."

Hello again, Gyvven! I recall looking into this myself (I even still have my test files) and coming up similarly inconclusive.

Gyvven wrote:

"...but only one suggestion has worked and the person posting said he was told by Autodesk to use length and then convert it to unitless by dividing by 1' or 1". This seems to work but it's not accurate because the value .528 KVA turns into 135/256" which then converts to .527344. I could probably change the units to feet instead of inches and gain a bit more resolution but I feel I should be able to bring in numeric values to populate my family without all the goofey workarounds..."

I know that in you earlier post here, you stated that you wanted to do without the work-arounds, but unfortunately, the MEP side of Revit is abundant with them. As an alternative to the above, could you not enter the values in VA (still in inches format, but to avoid the decimal) and then have the Revit formula divide it by 1000?

Message 9 of 29
kitsmiller

What would be your approach?

Message 10 of 29
Gyvven

I'm not sure, I've tried a number of different things but it just seemed more headache than it was worth. I did see in one of your posts you had written an excel spreadsheet that helped you build your formulas for filing out model number or something. I'd love to see that.

As I said earlier, I ended up writing a monster IF statement with many ANDs and some ORs. It works, and I've even got a User Override value just in case you haven't selected the HP but you need to start planning for loads.

I have some time, I may go back and try and get the KVA thing to work. My biggest gripe is that Revit help says it'll do these other types when clearly it can't.
Message 11 of 29
CoreyDaun

I just slapped my forehead; could you hear it from there? I just got it to work after fiddling with it for a minute. Attached is my example Family file (Revit 2014) (the Lookup Table files is embedded in the Family). This Family looks up an ##OTHER## value from the table based on the "box size". Perhaps when I was doing this before, I forgot that every time you change the Table file, you have to re-import it into the Family, under 'Family Types'. Please take a look at the attached and see if I am again mistaken...

Message 12 of 29
kitsmiller

What about the csv table you used?

Message 13 of 29
Gyvven

Kitsmiller,

I tried your family, without a bit more knowledge I can't figure out what you're trynig to achieve.

Here's how I did mine, see attached txt. I paste this into my KVA formula. The nice thing about laying out your formula in notepad and then pasting into revit is that revit ignores the returns so you can lay out each if statement to make sure you don't miss any.

Have you tried playing with temperatures and GPM yet? Weee! 🙂

Have fun and good luck.

Gyv

Message 14 of 29
CoreyDaun

The attached example Family (Revit 2014) is based on the chart you included as a .pdf file. It looks up AMPS according to the user inputted HP and VOLTAGE.

kitsmiller wrote:

"What about the csv table you used?"

Regarding the .cvs file, it is embedded in the Family file. Open the Family and go to Family Types. On the right side, you'll see "Manage..." under 'Lookup Tables'. From there, you can export the embedded .cvs file to look at it. If you change it, you have to re-import it with this same dialog, overwriting the previous version.

Message 15 of 29
Gyvven

OW, OW, OW! That makes my head hurt!

I get the looking up the KVA column and the multiply by 1kva, but what is up with the (Box Size/ 0'-6")? How is it getting converted from ##number##feet to kva that easily? Or is it really considered to be unitless?
Message 16 of 29
CoreyDaun

Gyvven wrote:
"I get the looking up the KVA column and the multiply by 1kva, but what is up with the (Box Size/ 0'-6")? How is it getting converted from ##number##feet to kva that easily? Or is it really considered to be unitless?"

The Box_Size/0'-6" part is a random default value I entered if it cannot find a valid lookup value on the .cvs file. For instance, if you entered a box size of 1'-6", it would not find that size on the Lookup Table and resort to the default of 18"/6" = 3, and then 3 * 1kVA = 3kVA. Got it?

check out the second example family if you want your head to hurt. Smiley Happy

Message 17 of 29
Gyvven

No attachment. Want to try that agian? 🙂

I exported the file and the units come up as feet. How can you go from feet to kva without dividing by 1' first? That's what hurts. But hey, if it works I'll give it a whack and see what I come up with.

Message 18 of 29
kitsmiller

I think you forgot the family file on this?

Message 19 of 29
CoreyDaun

Ummm... I was just making sure you guys were paying attention...Smiley Wink

BTW - it's only a partial chart from that PDF file - only up to 2HP and to 460V.

Gyvven wrote:

"I exported the file and the units come up as feet. How can you go from feet to kva without dividing by 1' first? That's what hurts. But hey, if it works I'll give it a whack and see what I come up with."

Are you saying that if you open the .CVS file, the type is no longer ##other## (which is unitless)? I suspect that a Length Parameter may automatically take this value as inches (or whatever the default Length units are), but I'm not certain about that.

Message 20 of 29
Gyvven

Correct, I opened the CVS file and it says ##other##feet.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report