Revit MEP Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit MEP Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit MEP topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lookup Table Text value

12 REPLIES 12
SOLVED
Message 1 of 13
jigar.wsp
10336 Views, 12 Replies

Lookup Table Text value

Hi Guys,

Is that possible to get text value from look up table.

Let me explain what I am trying to do here,

I got automatic resizing diffuser based on flow value. Previously I was putting IF condition and resizing on based of flow but its difficult for modeler and engineer to understand how IF condtion works and it may **** whole job.

So I am looking for them to just enter value in excel and it update all parameters in family which is very simple of modeler.

Here I have attached family with looup table. It works fine with size but I want to play with text.

For an example if its getting flow value 1-100 then it shows type S1 if 100-150 then S2, 150-200 then S3....

Can someone give advice how to lookup table refer text value from excel sheet.

12 REPLIES 12
Message 2 of 13
CoreyDaun
in reply to: jigar.wsp

jigar.wsp wrote:

"Is that possible to get text value from look up table.

For an example if its getting flow value 1-100 then it shows type S1 if 100-150 then S2, 150-200 then S3..."

I don't believe that the Lookup Tables currently support Text data. In the example you have provided, are these "S1", "S2", etc labels determined on a Project-by-Project basis, or does "S1" mean the same thing across all of your Projects? In the case of the former, you can compile a "master" formula that can be placed into all of your Families. In the case of the latter, perhaps you could use an Integer type 'code' in the Lookup Table that gets converted into the proper Text string by standard formulas in the Family.

jigar.wsp wrote:

"I got automatic resizing diffuser based on flow value. Previously I was putting IF condition and resizing on based of flow but its difficult for modeler and engineer to understand how IF condtion works and it may **** whole job."

If you are worried about the modelers/engineers building the formulas, wouldn't you also be worried about them following the proper procedures in editing/managing the Lookup Tables as well? What I have done in the past was to create a file in Excel that would allow the user to input the criteria for the formula in a simple interface, and then have formulas in excel compile the formula to be copy/pasted into Revit. If you would be interested in pursuing this route, just let me know.

Corey D.                                                                                                                  ADSK_Logo_EE_2013.png    AutoCAD 2014 User  Revit 2014 User
──────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────
⁞|⁞ Please use Mark Solutions!.Accept as Solution and Give Kudos!Give Kudos as appropriate to further enhance these forums. Thank you!
Message 3 of 13
John

A bit late but maybe it still can help you.

You can use the first column in your .CSV file to add text. The formula to find it is simular.

size_lookup(Lookup_Table_Name, "", "NOT SPECIFIED", Lookup_value)

Because of the "" in the place of the Lookup_Column it will read the first column value.

Message 4 of 13
Radioaltivo
in reply to: John

Thank you for that, been loking for it for so long!
Message 5 of 13
fabiosato
in reply to: Radioaltivo

Hello,

If you need more than one text extraction use more tables, just take care. I have already used up to 6, but sometimes I had crashes, but on 2015 they didn't happen!

Fábio Sato
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 6 of 13
Jes_Gonzalez
in reply to: fabiosato

Can you guys help me out, it sounds like I'm having the same issue. I'm wanting to add a product code that is both text and numbers based off the Nominal pipe size. I know the highlighted is part is wrong but any information on how to achieve this would be greatly appreciated. Attached is my look up table. Thank you guys in advance.look up.JPG

Message 7 of 13
fabiosato
in reply to: Jes_Gonzalez

Hello,

Use the following header HPH##other##.

Fábio Sato
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 8 of 13
WM_Ron_Allen
in reply to: CoreyDaun

Message 9 of 13
mark.j.eaken

has anyone tried this solution yet?

https://mgrevitblog.blogspot.dk/2018/05/lookup-table-text.html

came across this and i'm about to try this

Message 10 of 13
WM_Ron_Allen
in reply to: mark.j.eaken

Sort of. Since 2 years ago I created handlers in excel to import and export the formats for most family library content. : )

Ron Allen
Ware Malcomb Bim
Message 11 of 13
o.r.haghi
in reply to: fabiosato

Hi

i got this part right in excel.

but what is the formula i should write in revit? it gives me the inconsistent unit error!

Message 12 of 13
WM_Ron_Allen
in reply to: o.r.haghi

Check the values in teh exported table - if numbers are being enclosed in "quites" then it may be reading it as text instead of anumber.

Also start with an export so you have the ## Ids correct with the number types.

Ron Allen
Ware Malcomb Bim
Message 13 of 13

Yes, it works perfectly, thx!!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report