Revit MEP Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit MEP Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit MEP topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lookup table for text

18 REPLIES 18
SOLVED
Message 1 of 19
Junereth
4082 Views, 18 Replies

Lookup table for text

I'm using Revit 2014, and would like to know if it's possible to make a lookup table that contains text that can be returned to my family? At the moment, I've got a functional lookup table that allows my family to be completely resized based on data from the .csv.

The idea I had was to be able to make one single rfa file to accomodate all the different model sizes so that we didn't need multiple files for each model in the series. Now, my family can be loaded into a project and be edited on the fly (e.g. change the outlet size and the appropriate model is made). 

I want to take this further by allowing the different sizes to correspond to their appropriate model names and other details (voltage, phase etc). This part of my plan is to allow this data to be produced automatically along with the model upon resizing, so that whoever's working on the project doesn't have to manually pull out a product catalogue to check all the information (hence making my efforts so far pretty much worthless). So right now, what I'm trying to do is to see if the Lookup table can be used to return the model name, i.e. a text string?

For example, if A=1, then Model Name = "Mod", where "Mod" is taken directly from a table (so that I don't need to make a million nested IF statements to check the model name based on the value of A). Is this at all possible in Revit 2014? Another thing is if this can work, can that information be put into a schedule?

18 REPLIES 18
Message 2 of 19
jigar.wsp
in reply to: Junereth

Hi Mate,

I am trying to do same thing with Air terminal and it read Type S1/S2..... basend on flow value and at same size it change size based on flow value but unfortunately Revit can't read text value.

Message 3 of 19
Junereth
in reply to: jigar.wsp

that's a shame, i really thought this feature would be included. It would make producing the project models so much faster and easier when the right family is made and used 😕 and it makes the quantity surveyors happy too

Is there a suggestion box for revit to submit this request, assuming it hasn't already been done a million and fourteen times?
Message 4 of 19
CoreyDaun

The link below is frequently provided by Autodesk Support personnel here. Also, perhaps consider participating in the AUGI Wish List system.

Autodesk Product Support

The following link is setup for you to submit feature requests, or feedback, directly to our Development group:

http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/index?siteID=123112&id=1109794

Corey D.                                                                                                                  ADSK_Logo_EE_2013.png    AutoCAD 2014 User  Revit 2014 User
──────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────
⁞|⁞ Please use Mark Solutions!.Accept as Solution and Give Kudos!Give Kudos as appropriate to further enhance these forums. Thank you!
Message 5 of 19
smbrennan
in reply to: CoreyDaun

So it's not possible to use a text string for the LOOKUP - but what about the return? 

I'm trying to do a lookup table looking at Electrical Current Value - and dependent on that numerical value, I want to return a text string.

Is that possible?

Shawn B.

||    
To help improve Autodesk Products, please Click Here to Vote for ideas and submit your own.
Message 6 of 19
craigjonnson

I believe that a type catalogue based family would be the way forward for you.
Message 7 of 19
smbrennan
in reply to: craigjonnson

I aplogize, but that is what I was trying to do. My problem is formatting the header (Parameter Name##Type##Format) properly for text. I think I found the solution though:

Parameter_Name##Other

Am I correct? I haven't gotten around to testing that out just yet, but it's on my list today.

Shawn B.

||    
To help improve Autodesk Products, please Click Here to Vote for ideas and submit your own.
Message 8 of 19
CoreyDaun
in reply to: smbrennan

Sorry for the delay of response - I overlooked your post...

Anyway, unless it has changed in Revit 2015, Lookup Tables are not capable of returning a Text value. It has trouble with other types of values too, such as Voltage. I used a trick to get around that limitation (Voltage, not the Text) in the thread referenced below.

Lookup Table using numbers

Corey D.                                                                                                                  ADSK_Logo_EE_2013.png    AutoCAD 2014 User  Revit 2014 User
⁞|⁞ Please use Mark Solutions!.Accept as Solution and Give Kudos!Give Kudos as appropriate to further enhance these forums. Thank you!
Message 9 of 19
Hugh_Compton
in reply to: CoreyDaun

Sorry to disagree Corey but Lookup tables are capable of returning a text value.  They will return the text value in the first column.  Here's an example; size_lookup(Look, "", "NA", DN).

The 'trick' is to look for "" in the formula.  This way Revit will return the text value of the first column.  The parameter in the family needs to be text too.  

Message 10 of 19
CoreyDaun
in reply to: Hugh_Compton

Firstly, never be sorry to disagree!

I like this trick. So it only works for the first column of the Lookup Table, correct? To put it another way, I could not have two separate Text parameters referencing the same Lookup Table? If this is true, I suppose it is possible to overcome this by creating a separate Lookup Table for additional Text references.

Message 11 of 19
halacasbd

Hi all,

Im having a similar problem.

I need to include the information attached but im not sure what im doing wrong because i keep getting pop ups saying that there are inconsistant units.

As you can see I need not onlt numbers but text too.

A couple of formulas ive used have been (but failed)

size_lookup(Lookup Table Name, "SK", 0, (Secondary Kit Description))

size_lookup(Lookup Table Name, "SK", 0, "SKD")

size_lookup(Lookup Table Name, "SK", "0", SKD)

Theory:

size_lookup(Lookup Table Name, "Value 1", Value 2, (Value 3,4,etc.))

Message 12 of 19
Hugh_Compton
in reply to: halacasbd

I didn't mean to be misleading, you can only return text from the first column of a csv file.  Only numbers will be returned from the other columns.  

Using multiple lookup tables is one workaround for having more strings returned as Catastrophe mentioned.  Personally I'm waiting to see what Revit 2016 will offer....

Message 13 of 19
Jasonpepp

Hi, Just wondered if somebody could help me. I am trying to add a part code to a fitting depending on the pipe connection sizes? I would like for my part codes to be inserted into my tables and then for a formular to bring in the correct information. My proble is that the codes are a mixture of numbers and letter.

Could someone please give me a formular and also advise on how to set up my table accordingly.

Thanks.

Message 14 of 19
fabiosato

Just use the formula mentioned before, if you are already using it, use a second table for this purpose

Fábio Sato
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 15 of 19
talalaevd

Use first column for text-based data,like type catalog. Ex: size_lookup(lookup table name, "", "lookup value by default", lookup value 1,lookup value 2,..). This formular bring you access to your mixture numbers and letter in first column.
This may help you.

Дмитрий Талалаев
Эксперт BIM2B
Блог
Facebook | Twitter | LinkedIn

Message 16 of 19
Jasonpepp
in reply to: talalaevd

Hi Managed to figure it out.

Thanks for your help.

Kind Regards,

Jason Peppiatt
CAD / Revit Technician / Engineer - Fabrication

Tel: 01268- | E-Mail: jason.peppiatt@wolseley.co.uk

ZD3 Fabrication | Paycocke Road | Basildon | Essex | SS14 3JS

[cid:image001.jpg@01D0C842.02DB5630][cid:image002.jpg@01D0C842.02DB5630]
[cid:image001.jpg@01D14859.F020DDB0]
This e-mail is confidential and may also be privileged. Please notify us immediately if you are not the intended recipient.
You should not copy it, forward it or use it for any purpose or disclose the contents to any person.
If you have received this e-mail in error, please notify us as soon as possible on the number above and destroy your copy.

Please be aware your emails may be monitored or scanned for spam. Such monitoring may be carried out outside of the European Economic Area.

This e-mail is confidential and may also be privileged. Please notify us immediately if you are not the intended recipient. You should not copy it, forward it or use it for any purpose or disclose the contents to any person. If you have received this e-mail in error, please notify us as soon as possible and destroy your copy.

Unless otherwise expressly stated, this e-mail is not intended to constitute a business letter, order form or other offer or invitation to you, nor does this e-mail form the basis of any contract. Contracts may not be concluded by e-mail and any contract or agreement attached is subject to contract and shall not and is not intended to create a legally binding relationship.

This e-mail is sent by or on behalf of Wolseley UK Limited or the relevant subsidiary undertaking of Wolseley UK Limited with which you are dealing. Wolseley UK Limited is registered in England and Wales with company number 636445 and registered office at The Wolseley Center, Harrison Way, Leamington Spa, CV31 3HH, United Kingdom.
Message 17 of 19
saran1984
in reply to: halacasbd

hi

have u found any way to solve your problem

Message 18 of 19
saran1984
in reply to: Jasonpepp

Can u please explin us

Message 19 of 19
atnelsonJT7SB
in reply to: saran1984

There is not an Autodesk solution at this time, but I found a work around. I found this guide known as the "snook solution" and it works wonders.

https://andekan.com/returning-text-from-lookup-tables-in-revit/

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report