Revit MEP Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit MEP Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit MEP topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

looking for good mep site for revit families

17 REPLIES 17
Message 1 of 18
blkngold
435 Views, 17 Replies

looking for good mep site for revit families

my firm is new to the revit world and we're having a difficult time looking for families for hospital job that we're involved in. does any one have a good source or site we can retrieve/download families? the project we're doing is a hospital project, therefore the type of families that we're looking for would be chillers, cooling towers, pumps, air separator, expansion tanks, valves, and such..

please, HELP!!!
17 REPLIES 17
Message 2 of 18
jgallant
in reply to: blkngold

www.revitcity.com has SOME of the stuff you are looking for (but not much). Mostly I think you need to do solid modeling or get the manufactuer to send you solid models. From that you can create revit families pretty quick.
Message 3 of 18
blkngold

i've checked out revit city, and you're right, they have SOME of the family i am looking. but thanks for the advice. by the way, would you happen to know how to "clip" view of a floor plan where we have to use matchlines that's not simply a straight up and down, left and right cut?
Message 4 of 18
jgallant

Unfortunatley no.
We do alot of hospital work as well and it will be interesting to see the problems we face. I do plumbing, so I am screwed with Revit MEP 2008. It has nothing for medgas or gas or compressed air or sanitary vents. We'll see.
Message 5 of 18
rnp
Contributor

i'm working with REVIT MEP, Hire someone to start creating contents. valves, equipments, etc...takes long time.

no one wants to share these because it is time consuming to make them.
Message 6 of 18
blkngold

thanks for your help.
i know the pain that you're going thru with revit mep. i am helping out in putting together the designer's plan onto revit and it's so frustrating when there's no source to fill those missing gaps..
you'd think that autodesk would've created the essentials for the mep platform.
Message 7 of 18
Anonymous

I have personally built many of the revit families you have spoken of and you are right, it is very time consuming. I worked as an intern for a large A/E firm this summer where I had the opportunity to become highly involved with the design and construction of parametric families.

Does anyone know of any third party family builders? I have thought about doing some third party work myself since many firms are having trouble getting these Revit families built. I would especially like to see Trane, Armstrong and some of the other big name manufacturers get there game together and start providing these families themselves.

If you are willing to swing me an e-mail I would like to see if maybe I can do something to help you out.

mbrown1441@gmail.com
Message 8 of 18
blkngold

hey there matt,

thanks for the offer of assistance. how can you help me out with the situation that i am in, exactly?

as for going into building the revit family, i think it's an awesome idea. there's not much out there for mep disciplines. i'd do it, but (1) i don't have access to revit except @ work, (2) i hear it's rather time consuming, (3) i gotta get an idea of just how to create a family...

so drop me a line.
Message 9 of 18
jgallant

Best way to start I have found out is with solid modeling. You can bring in autocad solid models and apply Revit feature to them. But they have to be SOLIDS! Surfaces won't work. Has to be solids.
Message 10 of 18
Anonymous

Well in short, I think I could produce Revit families for less money and with better quality than many firms could. So ideally, I would like to help people like you (your firm) by dealing with the frustrating nuances of parametric families on my end.

Again, if you are willing to swing me some contact info, I would like to hear your opinions on this and whether you think your firm might be interested in utilizing something like this.

Matthew
Message 11 of 18
Anonymous

I, for one, dont look forward to the day when I start getting
manufacture fam's; I want my own parameters, not theirs. I want to see
access panel and clearance locations not bolt and lift locations.
Manufacturer's fam could be quite a bit bigger and nastier then what i want.

Matthew Brown wrote:
> I have personally built many of the revit families you have spoken
> of and you are right, it is very time consuming. I worked as an
> intern for a large A/E firm this summer where I had the opportunity
> to become highly involved with the design and construction of
> parametric families.
>
> Does anyone know of any third party family builders? I have thought
> about doing some third party work myself since many firms are having
> trouble getting these Revit families built. I would especially like
> to see Trane, Armstrong and some of the other big name manufacturers
> get there game together and start providing these families
> themselves.
>
> If you are willing to swing me an e-mail I would like to see if
> maybe I can do something to help you out.
>
> mbrown1441@gmail.com
Message 12 of 18
Anonymous

Here's a site someone pasted the other day. Looks like they have some
basics and will do contract work.
http://lon.broutek.com/

wrote in message news:5741354@discussion.autodesk.com...
my firm is new to the revit world and we're having a difficult time looking
for families for hospital job that we're involved in. does any one have a
good source or site we can retrieve/download families? the project we're
doing is a hospital project, therefore the type of families that we're
looking for would be chillers, cooling towers, pumps, air separator,
expansion tanks, valves, and such..

please, HELP!!!
Message 13 of 18
BuildingBIMData

If you are still interested we would be happy to work with you on building your Revit MEP families.
Message 14 of 18
robyn.henke

This site http://www.broutek.com/ has a lot of material. I have personally requested content and have bought that content after it was created. They do wonderful work and are very helpful. One of the families I had created, a duct-mounted grille, was not 'acting' the way I had envisioned. Jonathan Lloyd spend many hours (e-mail and phone calls) trying to get it to act the way I had envisioned. They finally got it to behave the way I wanted and it works great. I highly recommend these guys for creating content you don't feel comfortable tackling yourself.
Message 15 of 18
aslusarenko

Some manufacturers are creating Revit Families. For example, Visa Lighting at http://www.visalighting.com/site/resources/building-information-modeling-files-bim has content of their light fixtures. The fixtures are available for download for free.
Message 16 of 18
blkngold

good morning aslusarenko~

thanks for the link. this is awesome. thanks for the heads up. would you happen to know if there's an hvac mechanical company that has revit families created as well??

but again, thanks for the link. happy holidays!!
Message 17 of 18
blkngold

good morning robynjh~

thanks for the link. this is really helpful!!

have a great day and happy holidays!
Message 18 of 18
Michael Lee R

Email me and I can provide parametric families anytime. Mrenaud@cadforce.com

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report