Revit MEP

*Expert Elite*
CADastrophe
Message 11 of 16 (337 Views)

Re: long radius 45 degree elbows

07-18-2013 07:13 AM in reply to: KRhines01

I know it can be overwhelming if you're new with Revit. Here's what I did, if you'd try out these steps (for use with Revit 2014):

I based this off of the OOTB elbow family "Elbow - Generic.rfa". Locate the file following this path below, copy the file elsewhere, are rename it appropriately, such as "Elbow - Long Radius.rfa".

C:\ProgramData\Autodesk\RVT 2014\Libraries\US Imperial\Pipe\Fittings\Generic

Now, locate the CSV file that is associated with this Family. In order to determine this, you can open the Family, go to Family Types (the button with the four blue squares on the Systems tab of the Ribbon, and look for the Lookup Table Name. Now, browse to the path listed below and copy that CSV and copy it either in the same folder or to the same location as the Family. Rename it exactly as you did the Family.

C:\ProgramData\Autodesk\RVT 2014\Lookup Tables\Pipe

Open the Family if isn't already open and go to Family Types. Click the "Manage..." button, then import the appropriate CSV file, and click 'OK'. Change the parameter "Lookup Table Name" to the correct table name. Now you can go back to "Manage..." and delete the previous CSV table from the family. Click 'OK'.

Now the only thing left to fix is the radius; look for the parameter "Center Radius (Default)". Under the Formula column, replace the formula for that parameter with:

Nominal Diameter * 1.5

Now load this Family into a new Project and give it a test run.

Corey D.                                                                                                                  ADSK_Logo_EE_2013.png    AutoCAD 2014 User  Revit 2014 User
──────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────
⁞|⁞ Please use Mark Solutions!.Accept as Solution and Give Kudos!Give Kudos as appropriate to further enhance these forums. Thank you!
KRhines01
Message 12 of 16 (331 Views)

07-18-2013 09:36 AM in reply to: CADastrophe

image001.png

Delete anyway....
Then this error

image002.png

Changed center radius to "Nominal Diameter * 1.5"
Worked fine...

Then this error

image003.png

Don't have a clue how to fix it.
Can't try to see if it work because the it just keeps repeating till I cancel the operation.

Kevin K. Rhines

———————————————————————————————————————————

EDITED by CADastrophe on 07-19-2013   Reason: Corrected embedded images.

*Expert Elite*
CADastrophe
Message 13 of 16 (325 Views)

07-18-2013 09:57 AM in reply to: KRhines01

The images didn't come through - use the Insert/edit Image button to embed them into a post. Copy/Paste doesn't really work.

PostTools.JPG

Corey D.                                                                                                                  ADSK_Logo_EE_2013.png    AutoCAD 2014 User  Revit 2014 User
⁞|⁞ Please use Mark Solutions!.Accept as Solution and Give Kudos!Give Kudos as appropriate to further enhance these forums. Thank you!
*Expert Elite*
LisaDrago
Message 14 of 16 (311 Views)

07-18-2013 11:34 AM in reply to: CADastrophe

Sorry - been a busy day...

So I have been working on it.. But what I have found is in taking it to a 1.5 dia - I think we lose the long radius of the elbow that he wanted in the first place.

Unless I am doing something wrong.

I started with the original long elbow family and changed the nominal Diameter to 1.5.

I have attached an image of what I am getting.

LD

If this helped solve your issue - remember to 'accept as solution' to help other find answers!
You can't think AutoCAD and run Revit.
Email: LisaDragoEE@gmail.com
*Expert Elite*
CADastrophe
Message 15 of 16 (306 Views)

07-18-2013 11:52 AM in reply to: LisaDrago

LisaDrago wrote:

"So I have been working on it.. But what I have found is in taking it to a 1.5 dia - I think we lose the long radius of the elbow that he wanted in the first place."

Here is an image of what I've got after following the steps I listed.
LongRadiusElbow.JPG

LisaDrago wrote:

"Unless I am doing something wrong.

I started with the original long elbow family and changed the nominal Diameter to 1.5."

Wait, you started from that downloaded family? I'm pretty sure that one's garbage, so scrap that thing and start with the default Generic Elbow family that comes with Revit.

*Expert Elite*
LisaDrago
Message 16 of 16 (303 Views)

07-18-2013 12:12 PM in reply to: CADastrophe

So yeah - total brain fart there... :smileyembarrassed:

Yes - once I slowed down and read and did what you wrote - it worked. :smileyvery-happy:

Thank you for your help.

LD

If this helped solve your issue - remember to 'accept as solution' to help other find answers!
You can't think AutoCAD and run Revit.
Email: LisaDragoEE@gmail.com
Post to the Community

Have questions about Autodesk products? Ask the community.

New Post
Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions or visit the Installation and Licensing Forum to get help installing your software.