Revit MEP Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit MEP Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit MEP topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Links Suddenly Disappear

24 REPLIES 24
SOLVED
Message 1 of 25
geisert
17297 Views, 24 Replies

Links Suddenly Disappear

Hello,

My team and I are having a problem with linked architectural and structural models disappearing. The problem can be mitigated by going to the 'Manage Links' window to reload the link, but this happens roughly every 30 minutes. I noticed one time it took place after I loaded a family into the project from the Family Editor, but at other times it is completely random. Could a link, if constantly modified by the Architect, cause this problem?

We are using pretty top notch PCs, but the model is about 200 MB and the two links are another 200 MB a piece. Here are the system specs:

Intel(R) Core i7 Q 820 @ 1.73GHz

8.00 GB RAM

64-bit OS

Thanks for your replies.

-Tim

24 REPLIES 24
Message 21 of 25
arthur
in reply to: asutaCWQ5T

@asutaCWQ5T 

@RobDraw is correct.  you never want to open your local file.  you always want to create a new local file at the start of your work day.  

let's say that at the end of the work day, everyone closes up, saving to central and all that.  the next day, Mary wants to come in an hour early to get a head start to the day.  you come in an hour later, and start working also.  if you were to open your local file and saved to central, you will essentially erase that hour of Mary's work because your local file was last saved the day before. 

also, each time each one of your other coworkers were to open their local file, which was last saved the day before, will overwrite each other's work as they save to central.

this would probably explain why the fix for the disappearing links keeps getting fouled.  someone keeps overwriting the fix when opening their local file rather than creating a new local.

Message 22 of 25
RobDraw

@asutaCWQ5T wrote:

Every day, when you just start Revit, you open Local file, and save to central.

Again, not recommended. This method can cause problems.

@asutaCWQ5T wrote:

You are NOT working in your Local file !

Yes you are. If you are not working in a local file when working on a workshared project, you're doing it wrong.

Rob

Drafting is a breeze and Revit doesn't always work the way you think it should.
Message 23 of 25
ToanDN

What is it with the trend of people resurrecting years old topics marked as Solved, and on top of that, giving wrong answers? There are several ones over the Revit Architecture forum as well.
Message 24 of 25
asutaCWQ5T
in reply to: ToanDN

well...if you look better, people are still asking that question

Message 25 of 25
RobDraw

Like this one from 7 years ago that you just responded to with the same bad suggestion?

https://www.revitforum.org/architecture-general-revit-questions/8021-revit-linked-model-disappearing...

Rob

Drafting is a breeze and Revit doesn't always work the way you think it should.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report