Revit MEP

Distinguished Contributor
184 Posts
1 Kudo
Post 1 of 13

Linked models with connector capability?

102 Views, 12 Replies
03-20-2007 11:26 AM
This may be an unusual situation, but I'm working on a project along with another MEP firm, but using separate Revit projects since we work in different offices. We are designing the HVAC and lighting and they are designing the plumbing and power. Therefore, they will need our equipment placed in their model so they can provide the power. If they simply link our model into theirs, they can't connect to the equipment connectors in our equipment families. I can understand why connecting to a linked model wouldn't be possible, but how should I address this situation? Do they have to copy the equipment from our model into their model?
Contributor
15 Posts
0 Kudos
Post 2 of 13

Re: Linked models with connector capability?

03-30-2007 08:52 AM in reply to: jayspot
In my office we are copying over the architects fixtures in order to maintain connectivity with the piping systems since you cant copy/monitor connectors.. Message was edited by: jvedio
142 Posts
0 Kudos
Post 3 of 13

04-23-2007 07:44 AM in reply to: jayspot
Is this still the case with Revit MEP 2008?
Contributor
15 Posts
0 Kudos
Post 4 of 13

05-06-2007 10:35 AM in reply to: jayspot
Yup.
4 Posts
0 Kudos
Post 5 of 13

06-05-2007 07:24 PM in reply to: jayspot
I found this post while looking for a similar solution. Maybe someone can shed some light...

When I change fixtures in the architect's model with my plumbing fittings copied from the architects and with pipe connectors added, the connectivity doesn't work.

If I place the fixture manually, one by one, I can create a system.

I have over 600 fixtures to replace manually Please help
Active Contributor
46 Posts
2 Kudos
Post 6 of 13

06-07-2007 03:16 PM in reply to: jayspot
You could create a group of the equipment. That way you can send the group file to the other engineers.
6 Posts
0 Kudos
Post 7 of 13

07-02-2007 11:44 AM in reply to: jayspot
I'm new to Revit, and just want to make sure I'm getting something straight: the architect's model can include plumbing and light fixtures, but when an MEP firm links to the architectural model, they can't just connect to those fixtures? They have to either copy them into the MEP model (with no monitoring capability) or they turn off the architect's fixtures in Visibility/Graphics and place their own element?

Is this right? How do you make sure you're coordinated with the architect's locations?
184 Posts
1 Kudo
Post 8 of 13

07-02-2007 12:01 PM in reply to: jayspot
That is correct. You cannot connect to linked objects. As far as coordination goes, that will be up to you. I guess I can understand why connecting to a linked model would not be allowed. For example, if you had all of your plumbing connected to the linked restroom fixtures and then got an updated model in which the restroom moved to a different location, it would reap havoc on your piping layout.
Contributor
17 Posts
0 Kudos
Post 9 of 13

07-02-2007 12:08 PM in reply to: jayspot
So, Jayspot, how do you create your plumbing models. Do you put the fixtures in your plumbing model on top of the architectural model's fixtures? Do the architects link in the MEP model and delete their plumbing fixtures? Etc.??
I have little hair left on my head but I am slowly pulling it out. Also, have you found a way to use p-traps?
184 Posts
1 Kudo
Post 10 of 13

07-02-2007 12:19 PM in reply to: jayspot
"I have little hair left on my head but I am slowly pulling it out."

You better get some Rogaine if you're going to work in Revit. :smileyhappy:

I personally haven't done any plumbing in Revit at this point. I have done some mechanical piping but, of course, the mechanical equipment was in my model, not linked. I don't know what the best approach would be. It seems like your only option is to copy the architects fixtures into your model. You'll still have to add connectors to their plumbing families because most likely they don't have any (since they have no use for them).
Post to the Community

Have questions about Autodesk products? Ask the community.

New Post
Announcements
Are you interested in helping shape the future of the Autodesk Community? To participate in this brief usability study, please click here. Your time and input is greatly appreciated!