Revit MEP Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit MEP Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit MEP topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Linked models with connector capability?

12 REPLIES 12
Message 1 of 13
jayspot
721 Views, 12 Replies

Linked models with connector capability?

This may be an unusual situation, but I'm working on a project along with another MEP firm, but using separate Revit projects since we work in different offices. We are designing the HVAC and lighting and they are designing the plumbing and power. Therefore, they will need our equipment placed in their model so they can provide the power. If they simply link our model into theirs, they can't connect to the equipment connectors in our equipment families. I can understand why connecting to a linked model wouldn't be possible, but how should I address this situation? Do they have to copy the equipment from our model into their model?
12 REPLIES 12
Message 2 of 13
Anonymous
in reply to: jayspot

In my office we are copying over the architects fixtures in order to maintain connectivity with the piping systems since you cant copy/monitor connectors.. Message was edited by: jvedio
Message 3 of 13
jose.fandos

Is this still the case with Revit MEP 2008?
Message 4 of 13
Anonymous

Yup.
Message 5 of 13
WGEPerth

I found this post while looking for a similar solution. Maybe someone can shed some light...

When I change fixtures in the architect's model with my plumbing fittings copied from the architects and with pipe connectors added, the connectivity doesn't work.

If I place the fixture manually, one by one, I can create a system.

I have over 600 fixtures to replace manually Please help
Message 6 of 13
GWalson

You could create a group of the equipment. That way you can send the group file to the other engineers.
Message 7 of 13
mish_f

I'm new to Revit, and just want to make sure I'm getting something straight: the architect's model can include plumbing and light fixtures, but when an MEP firm links to the architectural model, they can't just connect to those fixtures? They have to either copy them into the MEP model (with no monitoring capability) or they turn off the architect's fixtures in Visibility/Graphics and place their own element?

Is this right? How do you make sure you're coordinated with the architect's locations?
Message 8 of 13
jayspot

That is correct. You cannot connect to linked objects. As far as coordination goes, that will be up to you. I guess I can understand why connecting to a linked model would not be allowed. For example, if you had all of your plumbing connected to the linked restroom fixtures and then got an updated model in which the restroom moved to a different location, it would reap havoc on your piping layout.
Message 9 of 13
sernspiker

So, Jayspot, how do you create your plumbing models. Do you put the fixtures in your plumbing model on top of the architectural model's fixtures? Do the architects link in the MEP model and delete their plumbing fixtures? Etc.??
I have little hair left on my head but I am slowly pulling it out. Also, have you found a way to use p-traps?
Message 10 of 13
jayspot

"I have little hair left on my head but I am slowly pulling it out."

You better get some Rogaine if you're going to work in Revit. 🙂

I personally haven't done any plumbing in Revit at this point. I have done some mechanical piping but, of course, the mechanical equipment was in my model, not linked. I don't know what the best approach would be. It seems like your only option is to copy the architects fixtures into your model. You'll still have to add connectors to their plumbing families because most likely they don't have any (since they have no use for them).
Message 11 of 13
sernspiker

2008 does have at least some fixtures with connectors now. All are not real world but it is something. Well, if anyone is doing plumbing I would love to know how you are doing it. I am dealing with some serious heartburn just trying to do a small pool bath house, single story. Any input as to the approach others are taking would be appreciated. I'm getting way too hold for this.
And I thought it really sucked when I had to learn MicroStation a few years ago.
Message 12 of 13
jose.fandos

"it would reap havoc on your piping layout."

Couldn't it just make you aware of the changes and allow you to ignore to start with so you can fix it yourself?

Jose
Message 13 of 13
jayspot

I was just thinking that since the piping would be connected to the linked fixtures, it might all move with the new floor plan and create a big mess. Simply moving a piece of mechanical equipment with ductwork connected to it can sometimes be a daunting task. I can't imagine moving a whole plumbing system.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report