Revit MEP Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit MEP Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit MEP topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Linked Arch Ceiling will not host 'face base' light fixtures

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
chika08
4280 Views, 5 Replies

Linked Arch Ceiling will not host 'face base' light fixtures

Hello - I am linking an arch model in my revit mep 2011 model.  I can not host my 'face base' families to the ceiling grid.  When I click on the linked ceiling grid, it indicates it is a compound ceiling grid, yet I cannot host to it.  If I place my family on a reference plane and then 'edit work plane' and click on the ceiling, it responds with an error 'Couldn't find an appropriate Host.  Try selecting a different Host Face or switch Placement Mode'.  The Arch model was flipped from a previous model because it was a mirror copy, with some adjustments, of another building.  Although the Archs flipped their model, I started the project from scratch.  Any thoughts?

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
crigoli
in reply to: chika08

Check to make sure you're in an RCP plan and that the underlay orientation is set to RCP.  Also be sure to check that ceilings are turned on in the visibility/graphics of the linked model and that your view depth can see the ceiling itself.  Then try placing the face-based element in the plan as "Place on Face"

If you're in a regular floor plan view and try "Place on Face", the element will try to hose to the floor, however if the floor isn't visible in this case as well, you will get an error.

Message 3 of 6
chika08

Thanks for responding.  I am in ceiling plans, I checked several times to make sure.  I have the ceiling grids on, can see them, can select them, and it states it is a compound ceiling. I am placing on face and when I select place on workplane the family host to floor.  The only way I can get the families to host to the ceiling grid is to chose the 'face based' family, set the workplane to the ceiling grid and then place the family on the ceiling grid.  If I place one family it will indicate it is 'not associated' to the ceiling.  So, than I click 'edit workplane' and click on the ceiling grid and than it will host.  Crazy huh????

Message 4 of 6
jarrodpirtle

I had a similar problem and it turned out that the ceiling was just too complex. The architect designed it to carry a load so it had an internal structure and several layers, but it was still a ceiling. When I tried to place a diffuser onto it Revit wouldn't allow it because it wasn't able to determine which part of the ceiling it was supposed to host to. So I just had to place the elements using a reference plane.

Message 5 of 6
andreak

Discovered that if there are light fixtures in the architectural model placed on a ceiling/fac, that surface won't allow MEP light fixtures to attach/host to it. But, if the Lighting Fixtures category in the Architectural linked model is toggled off, those ceilings that they had placed light fixtures on are now available to place light fixtures in the MEP model. Unfortunately, the holes left behind from the architectural light fixtures lose the hosting if placed in the exact same location... no ceiling available for hosting.

Message 6 of 6

Found the same thing.  Turn on the arch lights and our mep lights will not place on the ceiling.  Turn off the lights in the arch model and our lights host.

Crazy!

http://a360.co/11SDLSi

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report