Revit MEP Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit MEP Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit MEP topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Linear frustration

25 REPLIES 25
SOLVED
Message 1 of 26
revitworkbench
668 Views, 25 Replies

Linear frustration

Hello, I am trying to get a linear family to flex incrementally to certain distances. I have written the equations and everything seems to flex fine in the family. But as soon as I load it into the project, It completely ignores my equation driven parameter? I have a feeling that it has something to do with the way a linear family is set up since I cannot delete the length parameter. Its really strange and illogical how it is behaving. I have attached the family. Please help!

25 REPLIES 25
Message 21 of 26
CoreyDaun
in reply to: revitworkbench

I opened your Family, and in the Family Editor, you say that is works correctly? The length of the Extrusion seems to be directly based on the "Length" Parameter, but the formula is based on the "Length Input" Parameter. Can you explain how this Family is supposed the function if I were to input, say 33' into the "Length" Parameter?

Corey D.                                                                                                                  ADSK_Logo_EE_2013.png    AutoCAD 2014 User  Revit 2014 User
──────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────
⁞|⁞ Please use Mark Solutions!.Accept as Solution and Give Kudos!Give Kudos as appropriate to further enhance these forums. Thank you!
Message 22 of 26

A family that "works" in the family editor but "doesn't work" in the project environment is a family that doesn't work anyway. Long- winded formulas and unnecessary relations between parameters affect the family, too. That was part of the advice given in this thread, so that issue was addressed, too, even though you say it was not addressed. You want to make your family your way, only, so I don't see much sense in continuing this discussion.

Alfredo Medina _________________________________________________________________ ______
Licensed Architect (Florida) | Freelance Instructor | Autodesk Expert Elite (on Revit) | Profile on Linkedin
Message 23 of 26
revitworkbench
in reply to: CoreyDaun

Yes, any value greater than 10' should return 10'.

Message 24 of 26
CoreyDaun
in reply to: revitworkbench

The Family is working "properly" in the Project Environment according to the Family. When you draw a linear Family in the Project, that determines the value of the "Length" Parameter in the Family. Since your Extrusion is constrained to the "Length" Parameter in the Family, your formula is being bypassed. You will need to create and additional set of vertical Reference Planes (left and right sides) that will be constrained by the "LengthCalc" Parameter, and then adjust the Extrusion and the Array to be constrained to those Reference Planes instead.

You will need to adjust your "Number of Holes" formula to reference "LengthCalc" instead of "Length". Also, your "Length Input" parameter currently holds no power - set the formula to "=Length" or substitute "Length" for "Length Input" in your primary formula and then remove "Length Input".

Corey D.                                                                                                                  ADSK_Logo_EE_2013.png    AutoCAD 2014 User  Revit 2014 User
──────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────
⁞|⁞ Please use Mark Solutions!.Accept as Solution and Give Kudos!Give Kudos as appropriate to further enhance these forums. Thank you!
Message 25 of 26

The attached family is a Generic Model Line Based example that will allow the user to place two points but the length is constrained to be no more than 10 feet long. If you apply the same technique in your family it should work.

My other older self here: http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/user/viewprofilepage/user-id/46056
Message 26 of 26
revitworkbench
in reply to: CoreyDaun

Thanks CADastrophe, stellar as always!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report