Revit MEP Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit MEP Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit MEP topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Limit Offset

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
Anonymous
2378 Views, 3 Replies

Limit Offset

When creating spaces, why does the 'Limit Offset' default to 8' 2.5"?  Can this default value be changed?  Is there a way to create the space so the upper limit of the space matches the ceiling height?  Or do I have to go in and manually change the limit offset of each space to match the Architect's ceiling height? 

Also, when trying to create your own ceiling after turning off the  Architect's ceiling, has anyone ever received the following message?

"The work plane of this view cannot be used for this operation.  This operation should be performed in another view or the work plane of this view should be set to a Level by using the Work Plane command."  

I am trying to create my own ceilings to insert light fixtures because the Architect's grids are not centered, and I am not gettinng anywhere because of this message. 

Thanks.

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
asommer
in reply to: Anonymous

It is reccommended that you set the spaces all to go up to the next floor- they automatically cut off at the ceiling where there is a ceiling.  I don't believe you can change the default, however it seems silly to be set at 8'-2.5"...  Mine defaults at 8'-0".

I highly reccommend that you DO NOT create your own ceilings.  You will have to check the height, outline, and pattern of each individual ceiling vs. the architect's ceiling every time they send an updated model.  If at all possible, use the Revit Generic families that are Face Hosted.  A lot of manufacturers have not caught up to this issue, and are releasing families that are "Ceiling Hosted" or "Wall Hosted".  As you probably have found out, The link has only "Faces".

Pick your poison.  If you only have a few ceilings, you might try to just "Copy to Clipboard" the ceilings from the Arch model to your model.

Good Luck!

Message 3 of 4
test_52

Does this work if the architectural revit file is linked in or do you have to be working in the architectural file? I am running into the same issue were I would like the height of the space that I place to be cut off at the ceiling but I can't find a way to do this without manually changing each space. When I have a school with 250,000 sq. ft., the manual way would take forever.

I tried setting the upper limit of the space to the level above but the space doesn't cut off at the ceiling. It continues up to the level above.

Message 4 of 4
asommer

It should work when working in a linked arch file.  select the arch link, go to the "Type" Properties, make sure the link is set to "Room Bounding".  Also, you need to make sure the spaces are calculating "Areas & Volumes".  Go to the Analyze tab, hit the "Heating and Cooling Loads" button. If it is not set, It will ask you if you want to turn the area and volume calculations on.  The ceilings then should limit the spaces automatically.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report