Revit MEP Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit MEP Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit MEP topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lighting fixtures jump

10 REPLIES 10
Message 1 of 11
p.addington
735 Views, 10 Replies

Lighting fixtures jump

Hi all.

This isn't a major problem for us, well it hasn't been till now.

Whenever I place a light on certain refelcted ceiling views, the lighting fixture seems to jump to the side for some reason. Up and till now they have only jump across by a small distance, which was an easy fix once it was placed, but now they seem to be jumping outside my crop region so it looks like they're not being placed and no error message comes up.

There isn't anything around where I'm placing the fixture and we're placing them on the under side of a floor slab in our basement views, so it's not snapping to anything like grid lines and so on.

Does anyone know of, or has experienced this problem and can help? Thanks a lot. Smiley Wink

Design Technician
CKR Consulting Engineers
Nala Consulting
Sandton
South Africa
Tags (2)
10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11
CoreyDaun
in reply to: p.addington

Is this an OOTB fixture family? If not can you post the family as an attachment so it can be investigated?

Corey D.                                                                                                                  ADSK_Logo_EE_2013.png    AutoCAD 2014 User  Revit 2014 User
──────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────
⁞|⁞ Please use Mark Solutions!.Accept as Solution and Give Kudos!Give Kudos as appropriate to further enhance these forums. Thank you!
Message 3 of 11
p.addington

I'm not too sure what you mean by an OOTB fixture, can you explain for me? Thanks.

All our families here are face based modles, i've found they work alot better than generating them on the surface where they're typically mounted (Floor based, Ceiling based, etc...)

I've attahced two of our fittings fitting, just incase there is a problem.

Thank you very much.

Design Technician
CKR Consulting Engineers
Nala Consulting
Sandton
South Africa
Message 4 of 11
CoreyDaun

OOTB mean Out Of The Box, which means a family that came with Revit. So far I am unable to replicate the issue. You said that it occurs on certain ceiling view. Does it happen every time?

Corey D.                                                                                                                  ADSK_Logo_EE_2013.png    AutoCAD 2014 User  Revit 2014 User
⁞|⁞ Please use Mark Solutions!.Accept as Solution and Give Kudos!Give Kudos as appropriate to further enhance these forums. Thank you!
Message 5 of 11
p.addington
in reply to: CoreyDaun

This is the situation:

We noticed that the projects we were working on were extremely slow, so I opened the architectural model and removed their links that they hadn’t sent me. This did solve that problem, the project moved a lot quicker than they did before. Since then we’ve been having these problems with the lighting fixtures.

They only occurred on certain reflected ceiling plans, yes, but on top of that (Which I only found out today) was that it was only happening on certain elements within the architects’ model. For example, on our ground floor ceiling plan, the 600 x 600 ceiling grid made the lights jump yet the bulkheads and flush plaster ceilings didn’t, which confused me even more.

I've been thinking today and I think that the problem was that I meddled with the architects’ model. The lighting was working fine before I removed their links. since then the two projects we have, have been giving us problems.

Thank you for your quick response, I really appreciate it.

Enjoy your weekend.

Design Technician
CKR Consulting Engineers
Nala Consulting
Sandton
South Africa
Message 6 of 11
p.addington

Could it not have been caused when i messed with the architectural model, because the only way i can find to resolve the issue is to remove the link completely, and link the revit model again from scratch.

the only problem with that is, is that all our electrical information is now unhosted if its not on a reference plane. so it means we pretty much have to start from scratch all over again.

Design Technician
CKR Consulting Engineers
Nala Consulting
Sandton
South Africa
Message 7 of 11
CoreyDaun

I doubt that you messed anything up by just removing the embedded links. We do that here and have never encountered this. I don't think I can replicate this problem so it is hard to pinpoint any specific cause. If it is giving you that much trouble, you can create a Generic Ceiling in the same place as the Architect's ceiling and host the lights to that.

Message 8 of 11
p.addington
in reply to: CoreyDaun

Alright, Thanks for the help, I really appreciate it.

I'll keep trying and see what we come up with.

Design Technician
CKR Consulting Engineers
Nala Consulting
Sandton
South Africa
Message 9 of 11
dennis

I have seen this happen when you try to place on ceiling that is linked in and has light fixtures that are placed in the arch file, but turned off in the mep file.  My understanding is that my light is 'seeing' the hole left by the arch-light that is turned off, so it wants to jump over to surface rather than staying on the 'hole'.

Message 10 of 11
p.addington
in reply to: dennis

We seem to have fixed this problem on our side.

When linking in models that have ceilngs in different parts of a room as one instance, for example in a board room the ceiling is split up into 3 sections. 2 of those sections contain a 1200 x 600 ceiling grid and the third section is flush plaster.

If i place a light on one of the 1200 x 600 ceiling sections the fitting jumps. Because the ceiling is in two pieces, it is still being identified as one instance and therefore the host is not properly recognized and no correct position can be found, whereas on the flush plaster, the light fixtures places exactly where i need it to be.

If you separate the ceilings, creating 3 instances of a ceiling (2 1200 x 600 ceilings and 1 flush plaster) the light fixtures then places correctly on either of the 3 ceiling instances.

we haven't had any problems since we had the architects separeate their ceilings for us.Smiley Happy

Design Technician
CKR Consulting Engineers
Nala Consulting
Sandton
South Africa
Message 11 of 11
p.addington

I need to resurrect this discussion, because now I'm stumped.

As mentioned in the previous posts, we had problems with placing our lighting fixtures on ceilings in our RCP views. We managed to solve that problem by asking the architect to create each ceiling as an individual instance, with no more than one boundary.

Since then we have had no more problems, until the lighting started jumping in our basement RCP views where there are no ceilings, only floor slabs. Now his problem is only on specific views (once again) and as far as I know, all the floor slabs for the basements are of the same family type.

Can anyone help?

Design Technician
CKR Consulting Engineers
Nala Consulting
Sandton
South Africa

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report