Revit MEP Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit MEP Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit MEP topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Level/floor based question

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
revitworkbench
327 Views, 3 Replies

Level/floor based question

Hi all,

I am trying to create my own hangers to auto adjust their length to the floor above, every solution I think of seems to be extremely teidious so I thought I would ask around to see if anyone found an easier solution. I want to be able to dictate the elevation of the bottom part of the hanger (so I can schedule it) and have the top part remain constrained to the floor above and/or level above. Thanks.

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
ajax05k
in reply to: revitworkbench

I too am getting stuck at the same point but my problem is with elevator{lift} family
Ajay K. HVAC Designer, BIM Modeler
Message 3 of 4

I don't think I have an answer for you. There are some 3rd party add-ins that may suit your need. However, I would like to better understand what you are trying to accomplish.

'Dictate the elevation of the bottom part of the hanger'
What is this, exactly? Is this the top of the bearing surface of the hanger? What if the hanger is a round clevis... what elevation is it that you want to dictate? If you can provide some images of common scenarios, that would be helpful.

What does scheduling this elevation value help you accomplish?

"remain constrained to the floor above and/or level above"
Can you elaborate? What should happen if the floor moves north/sout/east or west... should the hanger and suspended elements move with it?
Why would you want to constrain to the level? A level doesn't have 'real' geometry to hang from, is there a need for that?
Are there other things that you would expect to be able to attach a hanger to?

Martin Schmid
Product Line Manager
Mechanical Detailing and Electrical Design
Architecture, Engineering, and Construction
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 4 of 4

hello, thank you for responding I will answer your questions in order:

There are some 3rd party addins, but they do not always work, and I would like to understand why better. So I must first create my own.

I want to dictate the elevation of the hanger meaning that it could be the top or the bottom or the center of a hanger if it is round. If I understand how to dictate one, I should be able to vary it to suit my needs.

Some common senarios would be random field installation of mechanical equipment, pipes, duct, etc. that do not use regular duct/pipe hangers. I want to create something that can be used in these situations.

Scheduling the elevation is important because in the case of mechanical equipment, a scheduled elevation that changes naturally when the object needs to be relocated would be ideal and more accurate.

Remaining constrained to the floor allows me to accurately schedule how long the all-thread needs to be to hang the mechanical equipment. So these can be scheduled and prefabricated. Im not familiar of a senario if the floor moves east or west/north or south. But if that did happen, it shouldt matter, only if it moved in the vertical direction. For examble if I had a vav box at 10 the floor above was 12 then my hangers would be 2' but then the floor above was lowered by 1' then my hangers would be 1' but my vav box would still be at 10'. Does that make sense? Since most floors are constrained to levels I thought it might be best to constrain to a level, or at least for a viable option. Some mechanical equipment has eye holes and is not supported by hangers, but the allthread still needs to be shown for coordination purposes. This is the main reason why I want to do this. Thanks in advance for your help!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report