Revit MEP Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit MEP Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit MEP topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Length parameter does not change symbol length

5 REPLIES 5
SOLVED
Message 1 of 6
revitese
1382 Views, 5 Replies

Length parameter does not change symbol length

I am creating a very basic hose bibb family. The only thing my firm needs from this family is an annotation with a length that can be modified.

I have built the annotation family with Length as an instance parameter. This symbol family is loaded into my hose bibb family, with Length being controlled by an Annotation Length parameter. This is also an instance parameter that has been created in the main family.

When I have placed the family into a project and tried to modify Annotation Length, there is no effect on the length of the annotation. Am I doing something wrong here? Is it possible to make changes to the dimensions of a symbolic family loaded into a model family when those changes are coming from the project level?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Revit 2014
5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
CoreyDaun
in reply to: revitese

In the hose bibb Family, you have to link the Parameter value of the nested Family to the Length Parameter in the host Family. Select the instance of the nested Family, and you will see the controlling Length Parameter in either Properties (if it's an Instance Parameter) or under Type Properties (if it's a Type Parameter). As long as that Parameter in the nested Family is not directly controlled by a formula, you will also see a tiny gray button to the right side of said Parameter. Click on that and from the following dialog, select the appropriate Parameter to establish the link. Now, the value inputted into the Project will subsequently control the nested Annotation's Length Parameter.

Corey D.                                                                                                                  ADSK_Logo_EE_2013.png    AutoCAD 2014 User  Revit 2014 User
──────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────
⁞|⁞ Please use Mark Solutions!.Accept as Solution and Give Kudos!Give Kudos as appropriate to further enhance these forums. Thank you!
Message 3 of 6
revitese
in reply to: CoreyDaun

I have linked the two parameters as you've said here. It still won't work for me. I've attached the symbol and the fixture family here.

The way I've set it up, I'm pretty sure that the changes made in the project will transfer through the model family to the symbol.

Revit 2014
Message 4 of 6
revitese

Just to see what would happen, I put the symbol directly into a project and tried to change the length. No change. I think something might be wrong with the way I've set up the Length parameter and dimension in the family.

Revit 2014
Message 5 of 6
CoreyDaun

I opened the "PF - Symbol - HB.rfa" Family and tried to change the value of the "Length" Parameter, but it resulted it a "Constraints are not satisfied" error. This is why the value is not carrying through in the Project environment; because the constraints are being broken in the nested Family.

Now, to address this issue, first delete the "Cross Constraint" dimensional constraint. I am not sure why, but Revit doesn't like this setup. Next, edit your Group and draw a short Reference Line across the center, then Finish the Group. Create a new dimensional constraint between this Reference Line and the Reference Plane, and then link that to the "Length" Parameter. The duplicate dimensions won't have any ill effects.

Corey D.                                                                                                                  ADSK_Logo_EE_2013.png    AutoCAD 2014 User  Revit 2014 User
──────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────
⁞|⁞ Please use Mark Solutions!.Accept as Solution and Give Kudos!Give Kudos as appropriate to further enhance these forums. Thank you!
Message 6 of 6
revitese
in reply to: CoreyDaun

That did it! Thank you!

Revit 2014

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report