Revit MEP Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit MEP Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit MEP topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

junction box, circuit element, wire length, voltage drop

0 REPLIES 0
Message 1 of 1
ltadachi
983 Views, 0 Replies

junction box, circuit element, wire length, voltage drop

**** all,

I've been fighting all the way, for a year now, with a very stubborn electrical department and a couple years after the valliant efforts of the first major revision to help out the electrical side of the mep suite, there are giant questions about how this works on a level of mere functionality.

first question: (of many)

what does the junction box do?

i'm not asking for how the functions in the code are organized or all your other secrets about why an impotent formula is used(i assume that to be related to general speed of the software).

someone's gotta fill me in on what the distinct differences are here.

They very effectively morph the wiring schemes to show very nice branching . it seems friendly.

what are the implications for handling of voltage drop calcs and load values?

i don't have time to sit around and test every possible scenario to derive all its characteristics .

i don't want to know how it does what it does.

my mind is exploding because part of the requirement on this project is to report wire sizes for branch circuiting.  did you read that? branch circuit wire sizes. If i can't automate portions of work, i'm gonna be hard pressed for a reason to do this in revit next time around when i'm faced with trying to convince non believers.

Second question: (of many )

do i really have control in revit 2013 over the nature of how the voltage drop calcs result? i've seen it posted that the circuit can be made to lend itself better to voltage drop and wire size calcs, if the user wires the objects in a snaking fashion following to next closest object across the plan. when i make power systems the fast way in revit i get branches. can i really change that through the edit circuit tool? if so, how exactly ?

third question: (of many)

there seems to be no other way to coordinate multi building electrical systems back to shared switch boards other than to have a master RVT file, wherein you must copy monitor every object and perform all circuiting . if i am mistaken please clarify some less frustrating method.

If i seem incredulous, it is because i am.. the project has reported many circuits over 1400 ft in length across a building of roughly 300 by 200 ft. there's no way any of that is going to be regarded as useful if it's telling me a 277v emergency lamp circuit of 3-5 amps is dropping over 5 volts across what is apparent to be triple or quadruple the wire length observed on the plan.

i was very lucky to recieve the training i have. and now the electrical engineering department has me under a microscope as i defend the cost of licensure.

let me not fight the good fight alone.  

here's to hopin'  - cheers -

Many more questions pending .

Luke T Adachi

electrical model fenageler, singular .

MEP firm, USA

0 REPLIES 0

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report