Revit MEP Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit MEP Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit MEP topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Isometric Views in Revit MEP ?

9 REPLIES 9
Message 1 of 10
sylvainfaltrept3026
2865 Views, 9 Replies

Isometric Views in Revit MEP ?

Hello,

I know that Revit MEP can of course provide some 3D models of our buildings and its equipments; but I'm wondering if there is a way to have some isometric views of our plumbing network (i.e. I mean a true isometric view being unscaled if possible).

In affirmative case, could you please advise me how to do it?

Thanks in advance,

Best regards,

Sylvain
9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10

Currently there is no ability to provide a "traditional" isometric view of the elements that have been modeled. You can (as you note) create 3D views of the model, and limit what elements are displayed in those 3D views, but there is no "built in" capability to produce NTS Plumbing Iso's.

jason
Message 3 of 10

Okay thank you Jason for the fast answer.

By the way, do you know if there is a way to convert our Revit MEP 3D model in a PCF file.... in order to transfer it in the Bentley Autoplant Isogen software, and finally get a Traditionnal NTS Isoview?

Kind regards,

Sylvain
Message 4 of 10

I'm not aware of the ability to create a PCF file from Revit MEP, and quite honestly, I am not familiar enough with Isogen to know if there might be some other options to get you from Revit to Isogen. Sorry.

jason
Message 5 of 10

Jason,
Do you know of anyway to tag the piping and plbg fixtures in this view. I have done what you indicate, but now would like to tag it, by Revit since the information is there. I don't know if writing a custom program through the API would allow this or not, as it appears Revit does not allow you to.
Message 6 of 10

You can not tag in an iso view, I would just use good old text.
Message 7 of 10
jjr
Explorer
in reply to: sylvainfaltrept3026

Adding Text to an Isometric is not the right way to do things. If you mis-type something on the Iso, it may mislead the Plumbing Contractor. Alot of plumbing contractors tend to look at the isometric views for sizing, etc. Why can't a $6k program that already has the tags on the piping allow it to be viewed on the Isometric view.

Just my 2 cents worth. I still have $5999.98 to go.
Message 8 of 10

Hi Sylvain,

I know it's been a while since you addressed this subject, but did you ever solve your problem?

We are at a crossroads where we need to deicde which direction to take. We have recently ( last 2 years) started using Autoplant. There are lieks and dislikes about it, but one thing I really like is it's ability to generate isometrics complete with mat'l list. Because our structural dept uses Revit, and also several other reasons: I get the impression Revit MEP is more user friendly, it produces more attracted 3d views, one of our other offices has a subtantial library, we are thinking of switching to Revit. However, if I cannot easily produce isos like I can with Autoplant, that is a major drawback.

Opinion?

Message 9 of 10

Solution: teach people Autodesk Inventor rather than Revit. it is more legible than Revit for parametric design, better integration of mechanical equipment & piping via. PCf output, and ability to promote parameter driven tagging into any view.

Message 10 of 10
dbutts7
in reply to: francois.dubois

If you're trying to do plant process projects, and need to produce iso views that export to Isogen, then you might be better off using AutoCAD Plant 3D, if you want to stay in the Autodesk camp. It's designed to do exactly what you're looking for. You can still use Revit to produce the 3D models of the structure (the structure modeling tools in Plant 3D are a bit limited), and then export the models to a CAD file for use in Plant 3D.

Let me know if you need some additional info on this - I just finished working on the CADLearning training videos for Plant 3D 2015, and covered this exact scenario.

Piping in Revit isn't design to work in this manner, since IFC exports from Revit are simply 3D model components only. You won't get the gaskets, bolt sets, etc. that Plant D provides.

Hope this helps - thanks - db

David A. Butts

Engineering Technology Manager - Gannett Fleming

Autodesk Expert Elite

Revit Certified Professional/Autodesk Certified Instructor

Revit, AutoCAD Architecture, MEP, Plant 3D, BIM Collaborate Pro Subject Matter Expert

The MEP BIM/CAD Engineer Blog

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report