Revit MEP Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit MEP Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit MEP topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is there a way to add specific angles in the MEP settings of a project?

11 REPLIES 11
SOLVED
Message 1 of 12
K_Kooner
3701 Views, 11 Replies

Is there a way to add specific angles in the MEP settings of a project?

We are required to produce a drainage model which only uses manufacturer approved angles. Therefore, in the MEP settings of the drainage model, we would need to add the new angles 88 and 69. 

My question is are we able to add angles in the 'use specific angles' section of the MEP settings?

If we are not able to do so, how have others got around the problem of drainage angles being non standard?

Regards

Karan

11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12
L.Maas
in reply to: K_Kooner

You are not able to add specific angles.

A few possible options. Modify the fittings families so they will become constrained to a limited number of angles.

Use slope. When you add piping you can add a slope (%) to the pipe. Slopes you can add and delete (but still able to manually override).

You would have to convert between % an degrees to add the correct values.

Degrees = Tan-1 (Slope Percent/100)

Louis

EESignature

Please mention Revit version, especially when uploading Revit files.

Message 3 of 12
K_Kooner
in reply to: L.Maas

Could you please point me in the direction of how to constrain the angles of a fitting? 

The slope issue isn't a problem just the angles of the pipe in plan. 

Thank you for the reply. 

Regards
Karan  

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy smartphone.
Message 4 of 12
L.Maas

Karan,

I opened an elbow family as example. You see that there are several angle parameters.

Angle.png

Those have to be constrained with some addtional parameter and formulas.

For example

AngleNew.png

It is of course also possible just to make two (fixed) elbows. One of 69 degrees and another of 88 degrees and attach one or the other depending on your needs.

Louis

EESignature

Message 5 of 12
K_Kooner

Thanks for the reply. 

I have checked the family of the drainainge bend fitting and it appears as though those angles have already been constrained. 

I have tried the MEP mechanical settings to be set at 'use any angle' and 'use specifiic angle' but the angles 69 and 88 still do not be drawn. 

Regards

Karan

Message 6 of 12
L.Maas

The angle in the family you point out is not constrained. At the moment it is an instance value and still can take all values (at the moment just 88°)

Angle.png

Louis

EESignature

Message 7 of 12
K_Kooner

Thanks for the reply. 

I have now constrained the fitting as you suggested (I think). I created a new pipe family and loaded the fitting into the routing preferences. 

When I then model with the new pipe fitting it draws an angle of 60, but in the properties it shows that the angle is 60 and the constrained angle is 69. 

Even when I draw the pipes close to a 69 degree angle the actual fitting snaps back to 60 degrees. 

Regards

Karan

Message 8 of 12
L.Maas

Look closely at the second image of my earlier post. You will see that I have replaced some of the parameters in the model and that I added a formula in the parameters window.

Hereby an example of a modified elbow. It needs some checking to se if it works well.

Louis

EESignature

Message 9 of 12
K_Kooner

Thank you for sending your elbow family. 

Unfortunately, we are working on 2014 and cannot open your RFA file! 

I have attached my attempt at creating the elbow fitting as per your guidelines in the image. 

Thanks

Karan

Message 10 of 12
L.Maas

I see what I can do later. I only have Revit 2015 available at the moment.

Louis

EESignature

Message 11 of 12
L.Maas

I did a quick example of an elbow in Revit 2013.

Louis

EESignature

Message 12 of 12
Mark.Friis

The Problem is: Even through making a new Family with constrained Angles, the Pipes will still connect with a near 90° Angle to the 88° Fitting.. it doesnt work. It Looks like the Fitting only Visually changes, but the angle remains..

In the MEP-Settings i set the Option to Free-Angles and tried to draw a 90° Elbow with my 88° Elbow-Family., the Elbow now goes to 89,7°..... See the attaced Picture.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report