Revit MEP Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit MEP Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit MEP topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Integrated Transformer and Circuit Board

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
Anonymous
1584 Views, 5 Replies

Integrated Transformer and Circuit Board

I'm trying to figure out the best way to create an Integrated Transformer and Circuit Board like an Eaton Mini-Power Centre. I know that I can't have the panelboard connect to the transformer in the family. So, I am looking for workflow. I tried creating a dummy box with two boxes inside of them, then created a family  of "slivers" with connectors on them. Mounting them to the box seemed impossible in the project. Same with creating an enclosure, then a transformer, then a panelboard...and mounting all 3. Any suggestions?

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
CoreyDaun
in reply to: Anonymous

Hello Chris, and welcome to the Discussion Groups!

You can create this pretty easily using Shared Components. Model the Panelboard and Transformer sections each as their own Family, including the appropriate Electrical Connectors and Parameters. Under Family Category Parameters, enable the "Shared" option for each of these Families. Next, model the enclosure* and then nest the Panelboard and Transformer Families into this Family.

Since the nested components are Shared, they can be Tagged, Scheduled, and are otherwise treated as independent elements in the Project.In order to Tag or select one of the nested elements, hover the cursor over the element and press TAB to cycle through the nested elements.

*You do not necessarily have to model the enclosure independently; you can just include that geometry in the Transformer Family and use that as the host. This will likely make it slightly easier to manage the Family in the Project.

Corey D.                                                                                                                  ADSK_Logo_EE_2013.png    AutoCAD 2014 User  Revit 2014 User
──────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────
⁞|⁞ Please use Mark Solutions!.Accept as Solution and Give Kudos!Give Kudos as appropriate to further enhance these forums. Thank you!
Message 3 of 6
Anonymous

Hi Corey;

When I do that my distribution systems are grayed out.

Message 4 of 6
CoreyDaun

The Distribution System does not apply to the "Host" Family since it does not have an Electrical Connector. You have to set the Distribution System for the Shared sub-components individually. In a Project, place an instance of this Family, hover the cursor over the Transformer section (don't click yet!) and press TAB and you will see that only the Transformer section is highlighted. Click to select it and you will be able to assign a Distribution System to it. Repeat this for the Panelboard Section.

Corey D.                                                                                                                  ADSK_Logo_EE_2013.png    AutoCAD 2014 User  Revit 2014 User
⁞|⁞ Please use Mark Solutions!.Accept as Solution and Give Kudos!Give Kudos as appropriate to further enhance these forums. Thank you!
Message 5 of 6
Anonymous
in reply to: CoreyDaun

I have the host family as an electricalal equipment family with only conduit connectors...therefore no distribution. I am cycling botht the nested Transformer and Circuit Panel and they both are giving me grayed our parameters. See the image attached.

Message 6 of 6
CoreyDaun

I see what you mean - some of the Parameters are not directly available this way. Distribution System can be assigned using the pulldown on the Options Bar (just below the Ribbon). However, the Secondary Distribution System is not available this way, so a few modifications will be this method:

1. The Transformer's Electrical Connector must reside in the host Family, which means that the Transformer will not be Shared, nested component - it will be the "host Family" itself. (I've used the Transformer as the host in the few times I've used this method and I always use that pulldown, so I didn't know that Distribution Systems became disabled!)

2. In order to gain access to some of the other "disabled" Parameters (i.e. Max #1 Pole Breakers, Feeder, Circuit Prefix), you will have to create a corresponding Parameter (Instance) in the host Family and then link the nested Family's Parameter to it. This is pretty easy to do; just click on the nested Family (in the Family Editor), click on the gray button to the right side of the Parameter, and in the Following Dialog click "Add Parameter...". These are then controlled through the host Family.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report