Revit MEP Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit MEP Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit MEP topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Information Within Revit Schedules Disappear

20 REPLIES 20
Message 1 of 21
davem
3093 Views, 20 Replies

Information Within Revit Schedules Disappear

Hello. I have been working with Revit for a few years and have always had this issue. Lets use a lighting fixture schedule as the example. When I place a fixture within the model and want to assign information to it on the schedule that was created, all is fine. As soon as I go and change a parameter for the lighting fixture family or anything of the like, all the information for that specific fixture type disappears within the schedule. Why is this?

I find myself retyping the same information sometimes up to 4-5 times throughout a project when fixture types have changed or quantities have changed and whatnot. This happens with motors, lighting fixtures, special purpose outlets, etc.

Is there anyway to prevent this information from disappearing within my schedules when updating things within my familes?

Thanks,

Dave

20 REPLIES 20
Message 2 of 21
CoreyDaun
in reply to: davem

I've not yet encountered any situation in which information just vanishes. In your Schedules' Properties, is the "Itemize Every Instances" option disabled under the 'Sorting/Grouping' tab? This would be the simplest possible cause - when multiple elements are grouped together in the same line of a Schedule and the have differing values for a field, then that field will appear blank. Perhaps after the data was entered, new elements were placed, thus causing this apparent loss of data (especially if the field is an Instance Parameter). If there is any confusion, can you post an image of the 'Sorting/Grouping' tab of your Schedule's Properties?

Corey D.                                                                                                                  ADSK_Logo_EE_2013.png    AutoCAD 2014 User  Revit 2014 User
──────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────
⁞|⁞ Please use Mark Solutions!.Accept as Solution and Give Kudos!Give Kudos as appropriate to further enhance these forums. Thank you!
Message 3 of 21
burdett01

I have the same issue with my Note Blocks. The only solution I've been able to swing is by copying each field out to a .txt file, making the changes (ie: changing fonts), then pasting back in. I agree that it is annoying and time consuming.
Message 4 of 21
denise.lollar

Years later and this is happening to me now, still no fix? 

I have connections that have connection names in a shared parameter in both the family and the project. The info shows in the parts Family Types area, shows when you select the part separately, shows if you tell it to select all instance in the project in the properties box , but when it comes to the schedule, I have 2 random parts where it sometimes shows and then it will disappear from the schedule. 

I have removed the parameter, purged the part, re saved and closed the part. Re open the part, add the shared parameter with the information, saved and reloaded, VIOLA same issue. If I type the info into the schedule it tells me its going to change all of the parts in the project, I tell it ok and VIOLA, nothing happens!

Im hoping 5 years later there is a fix and they didnt just ignore the issue completely, but Im not holding my breath.

Message 5 of 21
kadmonkee

are you using a single shared parameter file throughout your company?

are all users, using the same shared Parameter file?

do you have shared parameters that are named similarly?

are the shared Parameters set as Instance or Type?

are the family parameters also project Parameters?

is there a conflict in the parameter names whether they are project or family parameters?

are there filters within your schedule causing issues

these are typically areas of concern when schedules break

If there is any information shared that is of value please give Kudos
If a solution is provided by any posters please mark them as Solved to benefit everyone else.
thank you
Message 6 of 21
denise.lollar
in reply to: kadmonkee

Im the only Revit person, everyone one else uses Inventor so yes, the parameters being used are all the exact same. 

I copy and paste my parameters once I create them to be sure that spelling, capital lettering and spacing aren't an issue. They are all instance parameters, no filters. 

Message 7 of 21
kadmonkee
in reply to: denise.lollar

Are these families, assemblies or components coming from Inventor into Revit?

if so, they would need to be processed the same way each time a change has been made

possibly a translation issue is happening from Inventor to Revit.

check this post

https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/revit-architecture-forum/inventor-to-revit/m-p/4828893#M76088

If a solution is provided by any posters please mark them as Solved to benefit everyone else.
thank you
Message 8 of 21
denise.lollar

No, Inventor and Revit have not interacted at all to this point. They are each clean families created in revit for revit. 

Message 9 of 21

Also, the same part will behave correctly in one project and then do the disappearing act in another with no rhyme or reason. 

I am currently developing the parts so that we can start using Revit so even the projects have nothing preloaded other than what revit includes in a structural template.

Message 10 of 21
kadmonkee

try this

duplicate a correct version of your schedule rename it something obvious

sync and relinquish exit Revit , relaunch and open the central file and check the 2 schedules to see if anything has been effected.

I know this may be a work around, but as this is something I have never experienced before (odd behavior)

if a view becomes corrupt sometime duplicating the view fixes the issue.

thank you
Message 11 of 21
kadmonkee

are you assigning phases to these schedules or families ?

confirm that all schedules and phases of the project are aligned correctly

phases can act this way in schedules

thank you
Message 12 of 21
denise.lollar

I agree it sometimes does. I have done this a few times. Even done a few different types of schedules. When I duplicate, the same information is missing in the new schedule which led me to believe it was a parameter issue so I deleted all shared parameters and started them all fresh.

I opened each family and removed all parameters and purged the components, saved and closed the families. Even shut down Revit and restarted my system before starting a new project from a structural template.

I am in the process of creating a starting template. I am inputting the schedule information and then loading in the families, ( I have switched the order of what I do to see if it helps any, it does not) so that I can be sure the information is loading correctly from the get go. Ive never seen it do this before, I am thinking about uninstalling Revit and reinstalling.

I did remove all of my family templates and reload the whole library at one point because my column template was corrupted, the ref levels were switched and whenever I tried to flex the column, it flexed in the opposite direction. I have it mostly working correctly now, but its still an issue so I guess reinstalling is my next move. 

I am perplexed and have never seen it act like this.

We downloaded Revit on a coworkers machine, and it worked there, but he was missing the ability to tab his dwgs. As in you go to the view tab and in the windows area, "Tab Views" isnt listed as an option.

Im wondering if our firewall maybe causing install issues. 

Message 13 of 21
denise.lollar

No phases, no design options. Since I am trying to put a starting template together I am just really trying to get the bare bones of what we need in there. 

No major bells or whistles.

Message 14 of 21
kadmonkee

before uninstalling check for any updates that may need to be applied first.

your template sounds like the problem

if you have a successful project where all is working well, use that to create a template.

detach from central and save as .rte test things there then create a template project and begin all projects with that rvt file.

delete all modeling components from the existing model,purge out selectively what you know you don't want delete all views and levels, leave yourself only 2 views to start with keep your template light.

thank you
Message 15 of 21
denise.lollar

Ill check for updates. Thanks for replying.

Message 16 of 21
kadmonkee

good luck

thank you
Message 17 of 21
fabiosato

Hello,

Also check if all users are using the same Revit update version.

Fábio Sato
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 18 of 21
denise.lollar
in reply to: fabiosato

Im the only user.

Message 19 of 21
fabiosato

Hello,

Have you checked if these empty values are really empty? You can try to check Itemize Every Instance for checking.

If it is an instance parameter, every new component may have it empty.

Fábio Sato
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 20 of 21
denise.lollar
in reply to: fabiosato

I created an itemized schedule thinking the missing values might be due to instance parameters, unfortunately that wasnt the issue either. 

I was also having problems with columns flexing in the opposite directions no matter how I created them, turned out the levels in the template were switched. My beams were not cutting back like they were supposed to either and they wouldnt unjoin when I needed them to, so I downloaded new template files from my Autodesk and this seems to have taken care of the issue

I Reinstalled all of my templates and remade the families. Everything is working as it should now.

I think maybe our firewall corrupted the install so I used an external hard drive to download them outside of the firewall and install them on my system.  

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report