Revit MEP

JAOliveira
Message 1 of 13 (335 Views)

Incremental Value with drive conditional formula

335 Views, 12 Replies
07-26-2012 05:19 AM

Hi everyone,

I am trying to create a few parameters to add to my mechanical equipment family (AHU) in Revit MEP.

The idea is to create/generate automatically a new reference number to each AHU add to the project.

How can I create a parameter that is subject to a unique reference number (new parameter) that increments the reference each time I add a new AHU.

I am looking for a solution using a conditional formula but unfortunately I can't find a correct solution!

Any ideas or suggestions?

*Expert Elite*
abulla
Message 2 of 13 (327 Views)

Re: Incremental Value with drive conditional formula

07-26-2012 07:12 AM in reply to: JAOliveira

This is probably not the answer you're looking for, but the built-in parameter "Mark" will automatically increase as you place components.

*Expert Elite*
CADastrophe
Message 3 of 13 (322 Views)

07-26-2012 07:22 AM in reply to: JAOliveira

I believe that abulla is right in that the Mark Parameter will increase as described, but for it counts ALL elements. There is no other viable parameter that will behave like this.

If you create a Schedule, and under the Sorting/Grouping tab, check the box for "Itemize every instance" and then duplicate tag values will be very obvious in the schedule. It's very easy to change these from the schedule, too.

Corey D.                                                                                                                  ADSK_Logo_EE_2013.png    AutoCAD 2014 User  Revit 2014 User
──────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────
⁞|⁞ Please use Mark Solutions!.Accept as Solution and Give Kudos!Give Kudos as appropriate to further enhance these forums. Thank you!
Valued Contributor
Sandleaz
Message 4 of 13 (318 Views)

07-26-2012 08:56 AM in reply to: JAOliveira

The idea is to create/generate automatically a new reference number to each AHU add to the project.

Generated by REVIT?  Why?  I am sure any time you create an element, REVIT assigns a unique ID to it ...

How can I create a parameter that is subject to a unique reference number (new parameter) that increments the reference each time I add a new AHU.

Again, if it's not a user input, why are you trying to track it if you are at all?  I don't know if you can create a parameter and allow REVIT to insert a randomly generated value ... but I am sure there's a random function somewhere or you can program one in.

I am looking for a solution using a conditional formula but unfortunately I can't find a correct solution!

Any ideas or suggestions?

I am not sure what you're trying to calculate.  You have to be more specific/clear about what you're trying to do.

Contributor
dannyv79
Message 5 of 13 (311 Views)

07-26-2012 11:19 AM in reply to: JAOliveira

I think the intent is to assign a number in sequentail order (not randomly assigned) to each AHU as it is placed. For Ex. adding 5 AHU's to the project would in a perfect world achieve the desired result of 1,2,3,4 and 5. By assigning each AHU a "designation" you can do things such as tag each as such: AHU-1, AHU-2, AHU-3, AHU-4 and AHU-5.

Again another desired result, (which I am not sure can be acheived) but I too would like this feature. When deleting AHU-3 the result would be AHU-4 and AHU-5 then become 3 and 4.

Using the Mark value does increase with each addition of any Mechanical Equipment (or any category) which will skew the numbers if the AHU's are not placed all at the same time. Also the mark will not reduce the number if one is deleted, and finally I do not use Mark values because when manually changing the number to be what you would like the potential for Duplicate Mark Value errors increase.

I have been trying to achieve this result as well and have not yet found a good solution.

JAOliveira
Message 6 of 13 (292 Views)

07-30-2012 05:31 AM in reply to: abulla

abulla wrote:

This is probably not the answer you're looking for, but the built-in parameter "Mark" will automatically increase as you place components.

Abulla,

Thanks for your reply.

I am aware of the built-in parameter "Mark" that automatically increases when you place any component...

But the problem is if for example you add an AHU, FCU and after AHU.. The mark for this elements will by placement order 01 (AHU), 02 (FCU) and 03 (AHU)... So imagine this in a big project! Make sense?

JAOliveira
Message 7 of 13 (290 Views)

07-30-2012 05:45 AM in reply to: CADastrophe

CADastrophe wrote:

I believe that abulla is right in that the Mark Parameter will increase as described, but for it counts ALL elements. There is no other viable parameter that will behave like this.

If you create a Schedule, and under the Sorting/Grouping tab, check the box for "Itemize every instance" and then duplicate tag values will be very obvious in the schedule. It's very easy to change these from the schedule, too.

CADastrophe,

Thanks for your reply.

I am also aware that I could create a Schedule in Revit and easily change "Mark" parameter and update to correct reference that I was looking for. Is this a easy solution but I am just trying to challenging it a bit more!

But the idea, is to create a 2 or 3 parameters (or less if not necessary) to add in mech equip family and associate these new parameters to a conditional formula will generate to a new reference.

Unfortunately my "relation" with conditional formulas is not the best and that why I am looking a idea/suggestion to figure out a solution!

! :manembarrassed:

*Expert Elite*
CADastrophe
Message 8 of 13 (287 Views)

07-30-2012 05:58 AM in reply to: JAOliveira

I understand your aims, but unfortunately it isn't possible with Revit's current functionality.

Though, I do think that this would be a decent Wishlist item and don't imagine that it would be too difficult to accomplish for the programmers. However, this must me an optional function, which would make it's incorporation complicated. As a couple of examples why: I have seen such labeling as "EF-1" and "EF-1A", an existing unit may be labeled "AH-5" but is the only AHU referenced in the Project.

Anyway, I would not expect to see any kind of advancement like this implemented, seeing as though there are so many other useful concepts that have been thoroughly ignored for years.

Corey D.                                                                                                                  ADSK_Logo_EE_2013.png    AutoCAD 2014 User  Revit 2014 User
──────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────
⁞|⁞ Please use Mark Solutions!.Accept as Solution and Give Kudos!Give Kudos as appropriate to further enhance these forums. Thank you!
JAOliveira
Message 9 of 13 (286 Views)

07-30-2012 06:00 AM in reply to: Sandleaz

Sandleaz wrote:

Generated by REVIT?  Why?  I am sure any time you create an element, REVIT assigns a unique ID to it ... 

------------------------------------------------

Again, if it's not a user input, why are you trying to track it if you are at all?  I don't know if you can create a parameter and allow REVIT to insert a randomly generated value ... but I am sure there's a random function somewhere or you can program one in. 

-----------------------------------------

I am not sure what you're trying to calculate.  You have to be more specific/clear about what you're trying to do.

Sandleaz,

Thanks for your reply...

I know but this unique ID is generate automatically and without any rules and I've already exemplified in a post above. Is this useful? Maybe will be better if we could control that or maybe create a new option!

The idea is not Revit to generate a automatic "serial number" to each component... Is only to happen with the some speciifc families with the new parameters.

Example:

I add a new and first FCU from the project where the ID/reference from the new parameter that we create is 001, the second to be 002 - we could just simple create a text parameter, where we could just type the new reference or we could create something "smart" that will recognise the previous FCU as 001 and will automatically give 002 to the second, 003 to the third and so on...

JAOliveira
Message 10 of 13 (283 Views)

07-30-2012 06:08 AM in reply to: dannyv79

dannyv79 wrote:

I think the intent is to assign a number in sequentail order (not randomly assigned) to each AHU as it is placed. For Ex. adding 5 AHU's to the project would in a perfect world achieve the desired result of 1,2,3,4 and 5. By assigning each AHU a "designation" you can do things such as tag each as such: AHU-1, AHU-2, AHU-3, AHU-4 and AHU-5.

Again another desired result, (which I am not sure can be acheived) but I too would like this feature. When deleting AHU-3 the result would be AHU-4 and AHU-5 then become 3 and 4.

Using the Mark value does increase with each addition of any Mechanical Equipment (or any category) which will skew the numbers if the AHU's are not placed all at the same time. Also the mark will not reduce the number if one is deleted, and finally I do not use Mark values because when manually changing the number to be what you would like the potential for Duplicate Mark Value errors increase.

I have been trying to achieve this result as well and have not yet found a good solution.

dannyv79,

Thanks for your replay...

Yes, is that what I am looking for and I know that is not a easy and clear solution but I am sure is possible to combine a few "new" parameters, add a formula and get the precious solution!

How did you try to find a solution? What have you done?

Maybe together we can achieve what both need!

Announcements
Are you familiar with the Autodesk Expert Elites? The Expert Elite program is made up of customers that help other customers by sharing knowledge and exemplifying an engaging style of collaboration. To learn more, please visit our Expert Elite website.
Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions or visit the Installation and Licensing Forum to get help installing your software.