Revit MEP Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit MEP Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit MEP topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Importing 'usable' Revit Building Models

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
jmabrey
397 Views, 3 Replies

Importing 'usable' Revit Building Models

Is there any way to import a file from Revit Building that has all of its individual parts (walls, doors, etc) intelligent for equipment placement in Revit Systems? I imported a building model and when I try to place an object, there are no reference dimensions to walls. This also affects placement of "wall based families" since the program can't find any walls to place it on. It appears that the imported model is just one solid block. Am I missing something?
3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
KyleB_Autodesk
in reply to: jmabrey

I believe that you are indeed missing something. With the RB model linked in you can use the Copy/Monitor function to bring those functional injects into your RSY model. This is covered in a recent post on RSY workflows at http://discussion.autodesk.com/thread.jspa?threadID=481312.

Let us know if you have additional questions.

Cheers,
Kyle B
RSY Product Support

Kyle Bernhardt
Director
Building Design Strategy
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 3 of 4
jmabrey

Great! I just finished copying the entire structure over and now everything is selectable. I wish the default setting for copying options was set to 'copy original type' however, since I just spent the better part of an hour changing all the wall types to original instead of generic 8"

Thanks for your quick response and helpful info!
Message 4 of 4
Martin__Schmid

I haven't tried this to verify if it works, but it may have been because those wall types didn't exist in the host file. On the File menu is Transfer Project Standards... perhaps if you use that to transfer all the wall types to the host drawing from the linked drawing first, then use the copy function, it will copy the appropriate type.

There is an alternative workflow that would limit the need to copy/monitor all the walls & other host elements... thereby reducing your need to manage objects that are not in your discipline, and limiting file 'bloat':

Instead of using wall hosted elements, ceiling hosted elements, etc... you could use face hosted elements. These elements will find the face of the object in the reference file... and move if the reference object moves.

For example... take a look at the Electrical Device "Receptacle: Standard" (i.e., in the Systems-default.rte project template)... when placing this family/type you aren't prompted for a wall... but rather options for vertical face, any face, or workplane... providing the flexibility to place this family wherever, but still retaining the association with another object... even through the link.

HTH,
Martin Schmid, P.E.
Autodesk Consulting

Martin Schmid
Product Line Manager
Mechanical Detailing and Electrical Design
Architecture, Engineering, and Construction
Autodesk, Inc.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report