Revit MEP Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit MEP Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit MEP topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Importing DWG architectural files into Revit

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
NicholasWard
490 Views, 4 Replies

Importing DWG architectural files into Revit

I have a fairly sizable set of floor plans in DWG format and want to convert them to Revit. Tracing over the walls is reasonably quick (compared to tracing in CAD) because Revit seems to recognise the CAD walls and snaps the new ones to them. However, it'll still take me a couple of weeks to trace the whole thing into Revit. Is there an automatic way of converting CAD lines into Revit files? Or third party software I can buy to do the conversion?

Cheers,

-Nick

Jrobker
in reply to: NicholasWard

Quicker than tracing would be the pick tool. Just define the edge and pick the line.

I don't know of any 3rd party software.

"It's hardware that makes a machine fast. It's software that makes a fast machine slow."

Message 3 of 5

You are probably already aware of this but be aware of your Autocad 0,0 in relation to Revit's Project survey point and shared co-ordinates (if you are going to use them. Try and get a survey point somewhere on the site rather than  thousands of feet/metres away in any direction. Also try and set a common project base point between your self and any other disciplines working in Revit/3D with you.

I would also set my project units to have a high precision for lenghts and angles as I found that Architect's appear unable to draw walls perpendicular or parallel even though there are tools in Autocad. It would be worth spending a little extra time up front making sure that walls are square (unless design ontherwise) by doing a few check angles otherwise later on Revit will snap/align itself to the objects and you will for ever get the warning of "Element is slighlty off axis and may cause errors" and then the knock on is fittings not showing correctly, systems not connecting, etc. You know drill with Revit and its sensitivity.

This is something I spent ages trying to rectify on a project as the architect had minutely different grids between floors and the knock on effect was time consuming and boring to fix!! we are talking 0.0004 of a degree but enough to make Revit have a tantrum!!

Hopefully not teaching you to suck eggs but trying to save you a nightmare later on.

If my reply answers your query, please use the Accept as Solution.
Please give Kudos as appropriate to enhance the value of these forums.

Thank you!
Message 4 of 5

How do you change the precision of the units in Revit? It's something I was told in passing at a course, but for some reason didn't note down...

Manage-Project Units then select Angle and custom the rounding. I have attached a screenshot for ease

If my reply answers your query, please use the Accept as Solution.
Please give Kudos as appropriate to enhance the value of these forums.

Thank you!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report