Revit MEP Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit MEP Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit MEP topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Imported /link DWG file not showing up in revit

62 REPLIES 62
SOLVED
Message 1 of 63
cesslinger
279421 Views, 62 Replies

Imported /link DWG file not showing up in revit

I have linked and imported a dwg file into my Revit MEP 2014 dwg. It is not showing up. I have checked my visibility graphics and my view range. I'm not sure what else I need to look at.

62 REPLIES 62
Message 2 of 63
CoreyDaun
in reply to: cesslinger

Have you verified V/G Overrides for Imported DWG's? Maybe the issue is Workset? Also, what options are you using to insert the DWG file; can you see it in any other Views - namely a 3D View?

Corey D.                                                                                                                  ADSK_Logo_EE_2013.png    AutoCAD 2014 User  Revit 2014 User
──────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────
⁞|⁞ Please use Mark Solutions!.Accept as Solution and Give Kudos!Give Kudos as appropriate to further enhance these forums. Thank you!
Message 3 of 63
ajax05k

I think one of the following may be the issue for non visibility of the acad file

1. Check in "Manage links" under the "Insert", for weather its status is "Loaded" or not.
2. Check "Show crop region" and "Crop view", the acad file may be outside the crop region.
3. Then check in VG after adjusting the crop region.

4. Check in View Range.

5."Temporary hide/isolate", reset it.
6. if its not visible even then click on "Reveal Hidden Elements", it should show the acad file if its loaded correctly.

Ajay K. HVAC Designer, BIM Modeler
Message 4 of 63
AJA14
in reply to: ajax05k

Hi,

Just to add to ajax.
Go to 3D view. If you see the cad, select it and move it up by 100 mm. Sometimes a cad file doesn't appear even if it is at the correct level.

Regards,

Ali Al-Hammoud
Structural Design Engineer
MZ & Partners Engineering Consultancy
Message 5 of 63
cesslinger
in reply to: AJA14

Thanks everyone for your thoughts. I found the solution under VG - Custom Revit Links - import categories.

Message 6 of 63
reid-johnson

Another thing to check is the size of the CAD drawing.  This one has tricked me before.  A CAD drawing may have an element way out in the distance that will cause the issue.  Either by zooming to extents or closing and re-opening your file, you will be zoomed out so far that the CAD drawing (and your Revit model) are a tiny, invisible dot in the middle of your screen.

To solve this, un-link or remove the CAD file.  Then in AutoCAD copy/paste the relevent info into a fresh AutoCAD document - that way you know that you don't have anything floating way off in the distance that will give you grief in Revit.

Reid Johnson

Program Manager

Message 7 of 63
mcernello

I've just struggled with this problem for the last hour. 99% chance it is a unit issue. Auto detect units generally doesn't work in Revit. Try changing the import units.

Message 8 of 63
kienbk8008vn
in reply to: ajax05k

Corrected, thanks
Message 9 of 63
00jengland00
in reply to: kienbk8008vn

I would like to piggy back on this topic.  I have linked a CAD file into Revit.  I have an overall floor plan, and I have partial floor plans for the same level.  The CAD file is not visible in the overall plan unless I turn on the Reveal Hidden Elements light bulb.  It is not colored red like most objects hidden in views.  The CAD link appears on the partial plans though.  Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Message 10 of 63
fabiosato
in reply to: 00jengland00

Hello,

Have you tried to set the view to wireframe?

CAD links sometimes hides things in the background, also check the View Range, if the bottom is zero, it may not appear, try to set -1mm.

Fábio Sato
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 11 of 63
00jengland00
in reply to: fabiosato

Total user error on my end.  I expanded the CAD file link in VG settings, and found that all objects were on one layer that was unchecked for visibility.

Message 12 of 63
bhakare90amol

ya sir some times it was happen   once go through cad check layers and x-referece  after complition of these steps u will if it's not came purge ur cad and audit it will be come ..  i hope it will work out once go through it 🙂 

Message 13 of 63
LyleHardin
in reply to: bhakare90amol

I'm having a similar issue.

I brought in a 3D AutoCAD model using Model in Place, then imported the AutoCAD dwg.

The model shows up in the 3D view and all elevations, but only a in few floor plans / levels.

Other levels are just showing grid lines. No model.

All VG, view, and other settings are the same for each level.

The heck... What's going on?

Message 14 of 63
deb6DMXE

hi

I also have trouble with this... try linking rather than importing cad file - so go to link files under the manage tab... link cad file - use an import value such as milimetres and then use centre to centre so that it appears between the view arrows.  go to visibility graphics and tick show mass, and typography under both analytical model and view attributes.

this worked for me and I have been trying things for the last hour +!

good luck

deb

@cesslinger wrote:

I have linked and imported a dwg file into my Revit MEP 2014 dwg. It is not showing up. I have checked my visibility graphics and my view range. I'm not sure what else I need to look at.

Message 15 of 63
joe
Explorer
in reply to: deb6DMXE

Hi Cesslinger - Did you find why it was not showing up?

I have exactly the same issue as yourself. Showing on some plans and sections, but not the relevant plan where it needs to cut a quarter of the way up the import mass.

Have managed to have it show when I lower the import below the plan's cut line - however I obviously need to get it in the correct location - and cut.

Never had this problem. Did you find a solution?

Ta.

Message 16 of 63
graftj

Hello,

So I have had this situation happen multiple times and have solved it by opening a new doc, copying the previous document's information and pasting it into the new file, saving that file and using that file to link into Revit. This works, but I would like to know why it didn't work originally. I looked into what was mentioned before, which was whether there was an item floating out in space. this was not the case. In fact one file from the same person was able to link, however the parts that were exreferenced were not able to, and the document that was used as a reference was unable to separately. 

Does anyone have a list of reasons why an autocad file might not import (settings, layer problems, etc)?

I would rather not copy and paste, as many people place files in specific locations.

Message 17 of 63
fabiosato
in reply to: graftj

Hello,

There are many reasons this may happen:

- If you are using worksets, this is very easy to happen, you can link the file in a workset that is hidden.

- Check the view range, usually DWG files have 0 offset from the level plane, if you have some floors they may be covering the dwg file, in this case set the dwg to a 1mm offset for example.

- In visibility/graphics overrides, check in the import categories tab if the show imported categories in this view is unchecked.

These are some things that crossed my mind now. There are more reasons.

Fábio Sato
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 18 of 63
graftj
in reply to: fabiosato

Thank you!

I believe it is because the file was in a workset in CAD. I checked the view range, 3d views, Visibility Imports Overrides, etc, and all of those appeared to be in correct order. I'll have to ask my employer how he starts particular files, as it also could be his CAD template. I may develop a quick macro in the coming weeks to automatically copy and paste all items from one file to a new one and save it, that way he only has to hit one button.

Thanks again!

Message 19 of 63
burnetkatie1

I've imported CAD furniture into my Revit model. The wireframe shows up in 3D views, floor plans, section, etc. However the furniture is NOT showing up in the renderings. I've changed the materials in Object Styles, I've ensured the boxes are checked under visibility, I've tried changing the import units, and nothing seems to be working.

Any help?

Message 20 of 63
tyler_graff
in reply to: burnetkatie1

Another option is to look into dynamo. There are a few import tool options that convert dwg or sat items into revit solids. If you look into that method, look into the add in known as spring nodes. (this is all useful so long as you are working in 2016+)

If not, you may actually want to look at creating an in place mass, then importing the furniture when you are inside the mass editor (in the project). This tends to allow you to cut CAD based solids, so I would hope it would read them as render-able solids. Often times Cad files will import, but if you do not follow the in place mass method, they float above some of revit's recognition abilities (ie, in a section that cuts through the CAD file, it won't actually cut it).

Hope that helps,

Tyler

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report