Revit MEP Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit MEP Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit MEP topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

import SketchUp file

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
clippincott-CL
4252 Views, 7 Replies

import SketchUp file

Not sure if this is the place to post this, hopefully it is.

I am trying to import a SketchUp (skp) file into the Family Editor to use in a lighting family I am creating in Revit MEP. So far, I just keep getting an error message that says, "Cannot open ...." and it lists the path and file name of the .skp file.

I am using the "Import/Link > CAD Formats" command to do this. I have checked to make sure that both files have the same units (inches), a common origin point and the .skp file is purged. I'm not sure what else I should do to get this file to import.

If anyone has any suggestions I would greatly appreciate it.
7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8

Does no one use SketchUp? It seems like it will be a great program to create content for families with, if I could just get Revit to accept the .skp file.

If anyone knows why Revit may not be able to open the .skp file I'm working with, please let me know.
Message 3 of 8

depends on what you are creating, if it has ANY dimensional control required, don't bother with Sketchup. And in 95% of most other instances, you get better results, contrl and functionality creating and modelling in Revit
Message 4 of 8

I have a similar question. Visa Lighting gives you Revit Hosted Files. How can I bring the 3-D graphics into my current Lighting Fixture family, so that I don't have to re-create the custom parameters that we have.
Message 5 of 8
aacorley
in reply to: clippincott-CL

What file formats can Sketchup Export to?
Message 6 of 8

Any format that Sketchup exports to (like DWG) is just as useless as the original SKP file - In Revit terms. There is no way you can manipulate or change the object once it is imported to Revit.
And don't forget level of detail either - ask yourselves 'what am I trying to achieve here'

You will be FAR better off modelling in Revit with no imported geometry. If you go down the 'its easy to do stuff in sketchup' route, you'll end up with a big unmanageable mess that not even yourself will thank you for

hth

Simon
Message 7 of 8
Anonymous

Try importing in the 3D space and make sure it is set to Auto Detect instead of mm, feet etc. I think what is happening is Revit is having trouble converting numerical data. Then use ''scale' to edit it's height, size in case it didn't import with the right dimensions
Message 8 of 8
Anonymous

I successfully imported my sketchup files by saving them as older versions, like version 8

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report