Revit MEP Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit MEP Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit MEP topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

images in schedules not working

15 REPLIES 15
SOLVED
Message 1 of 16
revitworkbench
6824 Views, 15 Replies

images in schedules not working

Ok, so I am really excited about the images parameter in revit 2015, but as soon as I tried it, both as a family and shared parameter, it didnt show up in my schedules. I tried JPG and PNG. and after loading the family it doesnt show up in the Image manager either. 😞 What gives? Any advice would be much appreciated!

15 REPLIES 15
Message 2 of 16

Sorry for stealing your thread, I have the same problem. I watched some of the videos and read the explanation and I'm convinced i did it all as required. Nothing shows up in Schedule.

I even followed the requirement to include "Family" and "Family type" in schedule. Nada.In the project the type properties will show the image file will show up under "Type image". So it all looks like it is right.

But I found a workaround. I created a shared parameter for the image, included that in my family in schedule, and that shows up just like that.

I noticed in the schedule view (not on sheet) the shared image (magenta) shows up with the file name. The hard-coded type image shows an empty space (blue). So for some reason that image doesn't make it into the schedule. My example is a plant family and schedule.

Hope this helps. But it would be really great if someone could tell how we can use the original Revit image parameter so we don't have to add a shared parameter.

This is a great feature, though. Doing a Landscaping plan as HVAC engineer who has no clue about plants, that needs to be reviewed by people who have no clue about plants, having images really helps.

Revit version: R2024.2
Message 3 of 16

Not sure if your problem was resolved. but I noticed after my above workaround that some parts of the schedule didn't update. I had to reload the updated family multiple times. but then all of a sudden the pictures showed up in my schedule. and even when updating family, they pictures showed up immediately.

not sure if Revit just had some issue fully loading the family data into the model. So try to reload the family.

Revit version: R2024.2
Message 4 of 16

Yeah, I tried that but still no cigar. Are you loading a PNG or a JPG or something else?

Message 5 of 16
xammax001
in reply to: revitworkbench

Hi Guys,

had same issue, not sure if you guys got it solved or did something else.

but i found in the Schedule - Fields - (tick box) Include elements in links

when i clicked the tick off the box, then i could add my images to my schedule.

hope you guys found an answer to this.

Message 6 of 16
robert.klempau
in reply to: xammax001

Hello @xammax001, @revitworkbench and @HVAC-Novice,

See the bonus at the bottom of this post! Smiley Happy 

But first this:

There are two parameters that you can use:

• Image (Instance parameter)
  • Type Image (Type parameter)

Image (Instance parameter):

Load your images first.

goto the Manage Tab and select Manage Images.

Click add an import all your images at ones for an image folder.

For instance you project images folder.

Than go to your schedule and add the Image parameter to your schedule.

Select the small button on the back of your Image field and select a image from the image manager.

You can add some more images here if you like.

Select an image and click OK.

Do that for al the Image parameters in your schedule.

Type Image (Type parameter)

This parameter is inside the family.

when you edit the family you can add the image there for every type in your family.

Note that you need to add the Type Image parameter to your schedule to see them.

Drag the schedule on a sheet and see the result. 

Bonus:

In the link below you see how I use Dynamo and Excel to add images to my project.

Autodesk Community post: schedule data elbows

Article: The Power of Dynamo: Link Images to Duct Fitting instances

Duct fitting schedule on sheet.png

Hope this helps.

If my post answers your question, please click the "Accept as Solution" button. This helps everyone find answers more quickly!

Kind regards,
Robert Klempau
Senior Consultant AEC
Cadac Group AEC BV

Message 7 of 16

This all looks fantastic, except I have already created 10 shared instance parameters for my Mechanical equipment families and Id like to schedule those instances. Following your instructions, you state that this is not possible. I notice that the built in instance parameter is the only one that links to the instance manager directly. However, is there a way to just find that location (manage images directory), and put that directory into my created image instance parameters? If not, then can I some how do this with dynamos help? Thanks, and great answer! BTW since I already linked all of my images to my families, shouldn't there be a button that imports all linked image files, that would be a LOT easier since I have hundreds of ME equipment.

Message 8 of 16

Hello @revitworkbench, @xammax001, @HVAC-Novice,

I did some tetst in Revit 2015, 2016 and 2017.

Unfortunately, the image functionality in Revit 2015 is not working properly.

You can use the build in 'Instance' parameter image, sort your schedule to get a list of unique objects and add the images.

You can add a shared parameter to your schedule of type 'Image' but you are not able to select a image from the Image manager.

Also when I added the shared parameter 'my image' into a 2015 family I get the message that the type is invalid.

Invalid input for Type Image.png

So the conclusion is that in Revit 2015 only the build in 'Type Image' is working properly. 

In Revit 2016 and 2017 it all works fine.

So my approche with the Dynamo script is the solution for Revit 2015.

I will change the script so you ca use it based on the family catagory, family name and family type.

If my post answers your question, please click the "Accept as Solution" button. This helps everyone find answers more quickly!

Kind regards,
Robert Klempau
Senior Consultant AEC
Cadac Group AEC BV

Message 9 of 16

Hello @xammax001, @revithero and @EnergyProfessional,

As I mentioned before here is the Dynamo script and the Excel file I promised.

Steps to take:

1. download the attachment and unzip it.
  2. create a folder with all your images. (same size. not too big and not too small)
  3. open the Excel file and fill in the Column A, B and C.
  4. open your project.
  5. go to the Image manager, click add, go to the image folder and load all your images at once.
  6. close the image manager.
  7. start Dynamo
  8. load the script
  9. change the family Category and change the path where to find the Excel file.
  10. Clik Run and magic happens Smiley Wink

see also my Article: The Power of Dynamo: Link Images to Duct Fitting instances

Kind regards,
Robert Klempau
Senior Consultant AEC
Cadac Group AEC BV

Tags (1)
Message 10 of 16
xavnow
in reply to: robert.klempau

Painful workaround but when I added the image to each family type within the family, it seemed to work.

Message 11 of 16

Hi

saw you dynamo file I need to do what you did but for door and windows. I ran it without any result so I can't really figure out how you got the images?

First, you need to extract frontal or 3D View images of the elements and then attach it to the string with is called image in that family. Were in dynamo script do you create the Image?

Message 13 of 16

I am not able to get random type images to stay in the family when they are loaded. they are between 150x150 and 300x300  pixel jpg. Some work and some don't but it is random and not reliable. SOOOOO I can move forward until i resolve how to make the legend. That said. Revit should generate type schedules with images by default. It is the BIM era. I even bought a plugin to do this L4R Lurtis. It doesn't work either.

Message 14 of 16

So Legend cant tag components

Schedule Images disappear at will and look terrible.

Plans can't auto tag unless you use a label which you still need to show in a legend which has to be made manually

All of Revits attempts at visual communication are pointless.

Ive been full time revit since 2008 and it is crazy I and everyone is dealing with this crap.

Message 15 of 16

So Legend cant tag components

Schedule Images disappear at will and look terrible.

Plans can't auto tag unless you use a label which you still need to show in a legend which has to be made manually

All of Revits attempts at visual communication are pointless.

I've been full time revit since 2008 and it is crazy I and everyone is dealing with this crap.

Message 16 of 16
RobDraw
in reply to: revitworkbench

You're preaching to the choir.

Rob

Drafting is a breeze and Revit doesn't always work the way you think it should.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report