Revit MEP Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit MEP Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit MEP topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ies data with new light fittings.

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
bgarch
538 Views, 4 Replies

ies data with new light fittings.

I am creating a new light fiiting.
Under the family types I can apparently enter an ies data file name. However when I enter a file path under the formula heading (the only field I can enter data into) I get the error meassage "the following is not a valid family parameter"

Does anyone know how to use this parameter?
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
Martin__Schmid
in reply to: bgarch

I don't believe that it takes a full path. I believe that you must only enter the filename, i.e., 9743218.ies.

First, make sure you copy the .ies file to the location specified for .ies files in the C:\Program Files\Autodesk Revit Systems\Program\Revit.ini file... by default this is:

IESFileLocation=C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Autodesk\Revit Systems\IES

HTH,
Martin Schmid
Autodesk Consulting

Martin Schmid
Product Line Manager
Mechanical Detailing and Electrical Design
Architecture, Engineering, and Construction
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 3 of 5
bgarch

This does not work for me. I still get the 'not a valid parameter" error message.
I must point out that I am using Revit building.
I presume that the prinicples are the same as for Revit systems. The reason that I have posted here is that I have not had any response from the same post is the building forum.

Is there any documentation at all from Autodesk on how to use this option? for the "Electrical-lighting" family types, I cannot infact enter anything in the parameter column only the formula column.

I see that you say "I don't believe" does this mean that you do not know definatively that this is the case?

Is there anyone out there actually using IES files?
Message 4 of 5
Martin__Schmid

Hi Guzilla--

As Jason Martin pointed out in your other post, this functionality is the domain of Revit Systems, not Revit Building.

I said 'I don't believe' becasue the last time I was working with this functionality was a few months ago with an earlier Beta version... I was posting on my recollection of using the feature assuming the functionality hadn't changed.

HTH,
Martin Schmid
Autodesk Consulting

Martin Schmid
Product Line Manager
Mechanical Detailing and Electrical Design
Architecture, Engineering, and Construction
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 5 of 5
bgarch

Thank you very much for your input. Sorry, I just assumed that the functionality was there as the parameters were there.
I find it very confusing/frustrating that there are often items/parameters that appear in the software but are not actually usable.

I was just making sure that this was the domain of Revit systems as I find the documentation of some features very light.

Thank you again for your time.

Guzilla

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report