Revit MEP Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit MEP Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit MEP topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to label demolished pipes in 2013 Revit MEP

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
zachrohlfs
2401 Views, 7 Replies

How to label demolished pipes in 2013 Revit MEP

So Revit 2012 was better at this than 2013.  The pipes used to keep the system abbreviation which is now gone.  No idea who thought this was a good idea but it was not.Smiley Mad

But that is besides the point.  Does anyone know of a way besides going through and using type comments for all of this?  Used to have to do this with pipe networks then thankfully we did not.  Now it seems like we are going backwards again.

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
norcaljess
in reply to: zachrohlfs

Can you change the system name to include "Demolition"?  Then filter by System Name contains Demolition?

Message 3 of 8
zachrohlfs
in reply to: norcaljess

Yeah, so when you demo a pipe in 2013 it retains nothing of its former self except that it is a pipe now of an undefined system type.  It is basically one step smarter than a detail line which isn't saying much and in some ways the detail lines are smarter.

The only solution I have at the moment is using the type comment section, but this is not a good solution at all since it is error provacitive and takes a lot of time.  The other thought is using dumb text but again same problems.

If there are any Autodesk people out there reading a hot fix would be nice, since saving backwards isn't an option. Smiley Frustrated

Message 4 of 8
norcaljess

Gotcha, I see what you mean.  What if you create a new Pipe Type for Demolished pipe & filter by the Pipe Type?  I know that's not fun either, but at least you could "parameterize" the pipe.

Message 5 of 8
zachrohlfs

I thought about that too and basically anything that I am thinking of becomes a point where it is bothersome.  Currently I am considering modifying the pipe segement material and grabbing that for the tag.  That seems to stay constant throughout and it is something I think that can be assigned to a system type.  Still need to dig into this more.

Is there a place, where we can make suggestions, or a place where we can make our voice heard about things we would like to see in Revit?

Message 6 of 8
norcaljess

Yes, there is a Revit MEP Wish List forum where you can post your wishes like this.

Also, I noticed that when you demolish a pipe in 2013, it makes the pipe a "Part".  You could create a piping Part Label.

Message 7 of 8
BCERBimMan

I do not see where it makes it a "part". When I demo something it still says its a pipe, just stripped of any usable information! Whats the deal with that Autodesk? Come on, you are suppose to be improving things, not breaking **** that works already!

Jason Peckovitch
BIM Manager | Mechanical CAD Design | Father | Car/Tech Guy
BCER Engineering Inc - Denver, CO
Message 8 of 8
Shervinski

This has been very frustrating for me since the system type and classification for every kind of pipe gets locked to undefined and now cannot be filtered out by specific system types (say I want to show only my demo'd domestic piping one one sheet and my demo'd sanitary piping on another...).  It also disconnects the pipes from each other which must be because they are 'plumbing parts' and cannot combine into systems.  This also messes up the existing phase floor plans since any demo'd pipe belongs to the undefined systems in ALL phases, even phases prior to demo.  To make it worse, if you do change the phase demolished from 'none' to 'new construction', the only way you can get those pipe properties back is ctrl+z.  My current solution is only to create a filter for demo'd pipes and filter them to include only system class of 'undefined'.  Now this will allow you to override the visual graphic properties of the demo'd pipes, but you still cant differentiate system types.

To Autodesk:  Revit 2014, this issue still persists.  Please focus your attention on the issues of demolishing items and phasing.  This has continuously been a problematic experience everytime I work on a renovation project with Revit...

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report