Revit MEP Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit MEP Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit MEP topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I Create a Parametric, Cylindrical Mesh...?

2 REPLIES 2
SOLVED
Message 1 of 3
mrgrotey
409 Views, 2 Replies

How do I Create a Parametric, Cylindrical Mesh...?

Hi there,

I have been asked to create  a family for our roof pipe cowls but have been racking my brain to figure out how to approach the mesh area under the cone.

The cowls come in different diameters/heights therefore the mesh needs to change with those dimensions.

Have any of you family gurus got any ideas on how to go about this?

(If the solution doesn't allow for that solid pillar at the front of the picture thats ok, that's not important.)

Any help would be great :smileyhappy:

cowl.JPG

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
CoreyDaun
in reply to: mrgrotey

My first thought is that it might be going a little overboard to parametrically model the mesh. It would probably be more practical to create those areas as solid extrusions (or one revolve extrusion divided by Voids), and then assign a material that has a surface hatch pattern with a similar appearance.

Corey D.                                                                                                                  ADSK_Logo_EE_2013.png    AutoCAD 2014 User  Revit 2014 User
──────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────
⁞|⁞ Please use Mark Solutions!.Accept as Solution and Give Kudos!Give Kudos as appropriate to further enhance these forums. Thank you!
Message 3 of 3
L.Maas
in reply to: mrgrotey

Corey has a point that it might be too much detail.

I probably would make the mesh as several parts.

Two or three thin rings for the horizontal part of the mesh.

Several straight  parts in a circular array to create the vertical part of the mesh.

This will allow to have your mesh parametric. Parameters for the rings and parameters the straight parts to control quantity and diameter.

Louis

EESignature

Please mention Revit version, especially when uploading Revit files.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report