Revit MEP Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit MEP Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit MEP topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How can I create a cable tray that is curved in plan?

5 REPLIES 5
SOLVED
Message 1 of 6
BalajiHTI
1825 Views, 5 Replies

How can I create a cable tray that is curved in plan?

I want to create a cable tray by an arc. But I can create only straight lines. Is there any workaround otherthan splitting it with regular intervals and modelling it originally as an arc / spline?

Cable Tray as an ARC OR SPLINE.JPG

Tags (2)
5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
bvm76
in reply to: BalajiHTI

what you could do is to create a special equipment/generic model to represent this curve tray using sweep tool.
Please mark Accept as Solution if your question is answered!
Thank You.
Message 3 of 6
BalajiHTI
in reply to: bvm76

That is an option but it can not have branches of the cable tray. It will not trim or extend with normal cable trays if I used In Place Families.

Message 4 of 6
bvm76

Cable tray are system families which you can't create/customize
Please mark Accept as Solution if your question is answered!
Thank You.
Message 5 of 6
BalajiHTI
in reply to: bvm76

Yes, I realized it lately. Thank you for the information. I think Revit will only enable options that can actually be created/constructed practically. Thats a good restriction.

Message 6 of 6
smbrennan

@bala8vijay wrote:

Yes, I realized it lately. Thank you for the information. I think Revit will only enable options that can actually be created/constructed practically. Thats a good restriction.

I think system familes can tend to get too complicated. While they're easy for us to visualize, it may be hard for a computer to process - or Autodesk hasn't put the time into allowing us that flexibility - and that comes from not enough people voicing their opinions. So first things first, use the link in my signature to provide product feedback. They listen - and I've been getting a lot of responses lately for the feedback I've submitted in recent months.

Now, for the comment about products that are constructable/practical - well I would love to be able to create a new cable tray that more closely represents the tray that's being installed. If it's basket, I want to shot that. Whalebone, ladder rack, etc. However, the only workaround is to make a parametric family (i've seen generic models, electrical equipment, cable tray fittings - pick your poison).

So again, I urge you to please not settle on workarounds and assume Autodesk have everything figuired out - because they don't. They wouldn't be in business anymore if they did. Submit the request to Autodesk. The more people that do so, the better. 

Shawn B.

||    
To help improve Autodesk Products, please Click Here to Vote for ideas and submit your own.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report