Revit MEP Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit MEP Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit MEP topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How can I assign color to pipes as a material, not by filter?

16 REPLIES 16
SOLVED
Message 1 of 17
guillermo.barra
4078 Views, 16 Replies

How can I assign color to pipes as a material, not by filter?

I need assign color to diferent types of pipes and ducts, but as the color of material, not by filter. I need to see these colors in every view and not apply filter for it. Also I need this for exporting to navisworks as a model with colors and not exporting files by filters and then applying colors to them.

Can anyone help me?

Tags (1)
16 REPLIES 16
Message 2 of 17
luna.ye
in reply to: guillermo.barra

Hello guillermo.barra,

In the “Mechanical Settings” dialog, please click “Pipe Settings”-“Segments and Sizes”. Click “Create New Pipe Segment” beside the segment list to open the “New Segment” dialog. Then you can set the material of pipes.

Click a duct system, and click “Type Properties”. In the “Type Properties” dialog, click “Edit Type”, choose the “material” in “Material and Finishes”. Click OK. Then you can set the material of duct system.

Hope this helps.

If my post answers your question, please click the "Accept as Solution" button. This helps everyone find answers more quickly!

Luna Ye
Product Support
Message 3 of 17
guillermo.barra
in reply to: luna.ye

Hi Luna ye

Your advice did work, thank you so much !!!, but now i need a solution for the pipe fittings, they don't adopt the color of the pipes. Do you know how can i fix this problem?

I hope you can help me
Thanks
Message 4 of 17
luna.ye

Hello Guillermo,

About the pipe fittings, please select the fitting and edit the family, select the Sweep, in the “Properties” dialog, click the small squares on the right side of “Material”, it will appear a dialog named “Associate Family Parameter ”.And please click the “Add parameter”, add a parameter named “material”. Click “Ok” and load into project. Then you will find there’s a choice about material in the “Type Properties” of pipe fittings.

If my post answers your question, please click the "Accept as Solution" button. This helps everyone find answers more quickly!

Luna Ye
Product Support
Message 5 of 17
guillermo.barra

Thank you. I got pipes and pipes fittings with material assigned to them, but I can't assign material to the ducts yet, I clicked on a duct system and then i clicked " Edit Type" on properties, then in the " Type Properties", I got lost. Where do I have to assign the material? I hope your help.
Message 6 of 17
luna.ye

Hello Guillermo,

Please make sure you click a duct system and click “Type Properties” of the duct system, not a duct. Please check the setting in the attachment.

Luna Ye
Product Support
Message 7 of 17
guillermo.barra

Thank you Luna ye, I finally applied material to ducts, thank you so much for your help. i really appreciate it.

Message 8 of 17
guillermo.barra

Luna ye

Do you know how to do the same with cable trays? , I tried to applied the same criteria to found a solution, but it didn't work for me, if you know how, I would be glad that you share it with me.

Message 9 of 17
luna.ye

Hello Guillermo,

I’m sorry that it couldn't add material to cable trays like pipes or ducts in Revit. So please try “Override Graphics in View” or paint or filter. There’s a discussion about it.

Thanks.

Luna Ye
Product Support
Message 10 of 17
guillermo.barra

Luna ye

Your advices had been very usefull, I really appreciate it, but I have a last question.

I need this to see colors in Revit in every view , not applying filters for every section view that I create, for this needing the way you recommended me works perfectly for pipes and ducts, but also I want to see these materials in Navisworks.

It works for pipes when I export the file to Navisworks, but it didn't work for the ducts, they look with no color on them in Navisworks. If you or someone else know how can I see the material of ducts immediately when exporting to Navisworks I will be grateful. Thankyou

Message 11 of 17
luna.ye

Hello Guillermo,

Could you please tell me what the export format is, NWC or DWF? It’s both ok for pipes and ducts when using External Tools to Navisworks. Please try to use External Tools in Add-Ins.

And in the Export Scene As dialog box, there’s an Autodesk Navisworks Settings in bottom. Please use the options to adjust the settings for future exports of NWC files from Revit. You can find more details in this help.

Hop this helps.

Luna Ye
Product Support
Message 12 of 17
guillermo.barra

Luna ye

I'm using External Tools in Add-Ins, exporting in NWC format, I'm trying with differents options in dialog box but still I'm not getting ducts with colors in Navisworks. Which options should I choose for it?

Message 13 of 17

Luna ye

When exporting the file as a DWF I can see the material as well as I wanted, that's functioned perfect for me, it keeps property information and everything, so thankyou so much, but if you know how  to adjust the settings when exporting by "Add-Ins" in order to see duct's materials it'll be usefull for me anyway. Thankyou

Message 14 of 17
luna.ye

Hello Guillermo,

In Navisworks Settings, please mark the “Try and find missing materials” box and check the “colors” of “Reduce Precision” in the NWC page. For me, the color of ducts is ok when I use the default value in Navisworks Settings.

May I know this is occurring with all files or only a particular model? If for all files, please check if the software is the latest version, you can find the updates from here. If just for one model, please try to change another material to see if works. If fail, could you please attach little part of model in post? Thank you.

Luna Ye
Product Support
Message 15 of 17
guillermo.barra

Luna ye

Here are the attachments with the test files I'm working on, I did what you said, but I got the same issue, hope you can find out what I'm doing wrong, thanks 

Message 16 of 17
luna.ye

Hello Guillermo,

Thank you for your attachments. From your attachment, I found that the model was created in Revit 2013. Unfortunately, I have just tried the colors were both ok in Revit 2014. I’m sorry that I didn’t try to do it in Revit 2013. In the previous version before Revit 2014, it will lose the ducts’ color when exporting to NWC. And it was modified in Revit 2014. So please try to export to DWF or export to NWC by using Revit 2014.

Hope this helps.

Luna Ye
Product Support
Message 17 of 17
guillermo.barra

Luna ye

Ok , i'll download the trial version of revit 2014 then i'll try do the same, maybe that's the solution, anyway the dwf format it's ok, for my needing. Thankyou so much again.

Guillermo

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report