Revit MEP Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit MEP Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit MEP topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help with nested family

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
Secttor
585 Views, 6 Replies

Help with nested family

Hy. As you can see I have a Host and a Base which I want to "attach" each other (the base is under). I'm not so interested in linking parameters as I'm interested in further Void-Revolve on both (already attached). Is this possible?

- So I need to find a way to stick both into an assembly and after apply a void feature.

Thanks for any suggestion.

Capture.JPG

Revit MEP - Electrical Certified Professional
Revit MEP - Mechanical Certified Professional

Draftworks.wordpress.com
6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
BIMgirl
in reply to: Secttor

As far as I can see from your screenshot, they're two single families (not nested yet)?
Open the 'Host' Family and load the base into it, then place it where you want it to be related to the host and use the cut tool to combine the two geometries.

Just curious, why are you nesting? Creating the two geometries inside of one family and constraining them may be easier than nesting (and should reduce your family file size)!
Lejla Secerbegovic - Architect and Revit Expert
http://bim-me-up.com
Message 3 of 7
Secttor
in reply to: BIMgirl

Yes.. those were not nested yet.

Got your point.. but creating two geometries inside one family gives me the chance to void-revolve on both attached each other?

Thanks a lot!

Draftworks.wordpress.com
Message 4 of 7
BIMgirl

I'm sorry I don't quite get what you mean by "void-revolve on both".... ? 

I somehow thought the object you named "host" was to be cut by the second object (void).

Maybe you can try to explain it in more detail, unless of course someone else here has already understood the problem and can help! 😉

Message 5 of 7
Secttor

Well.. I'll try : 

1. Succeed with the added component and it looks like this :

02.JPG01.JPG

2. I'm trying to fillet the selected edge (which combines the existent and added component) with void-sweep but no luck. Any tips for doing this?

03.JPG04.JPG

3. The same is available for this interior edge.. which was obtained with Void-Revolt by using this procedure :

Capture 3.JPGCapture 2.JPG

Capture.JPG

Anyway : I wish to build something simmilar to this .. but with above problems .. Smiley Sad

Capture.JPG

Draftworks.wordpress.com
Message 6 of 7
BIMgirl

Oh now I get it! Are you sure this level of detail is really needed in your model? You must consider that if you build up a model with this level of complexity /detail, it may get very 'heavy' and huge. There are of course cases where this is needed / wanted, but I just wanted to point out that you should rethink if it is really necessary. 

Anyway, I wouldn't recommend using too many voids to cut your shape the way you want it; for creating such complex shapes you'd typically use a set of curves and create a swept blend. You can imagine this as cutting through the wash basin several times and then connecting these lines with a lofted surface.

Depending on the form, you can combine this method with revolve or sweep - actually it's possible to get quite far without using voids.

I think you can recognize the method in this image I found through Google:

Americanstandard.com 012 - espositoa Murro Wall hung sink with rear overflow and recessed self-draining deck.jpg

Each line you see is a 2d profile which is connecting to the next on a path using a swept blend. Hope this helps, sorry for replying only now, I wasn't online for a couple of days! 

Message 7 of 7
Secttor

Are you sure this level of detail is really needed in your model?

I must get used with difficult passes 😉

Thanks for tips!

Draftworks.wordpress.com

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report