Revit MEP Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit MEP Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit MEP topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help calculating Net Electrical Load & Service Size in Panel Schedule

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
pedro
5959 Views, 3 Replies

Help calculating Net Electrical Load & Service Size in Panel Schedule

This is an example of the Electrical Load Calcs we typically submit on a Single-Family project:

Net Load.PNG

I'm open to suggestions on improving it. I have a pretty limited understanding of the Electrical side of things but am learning a great deal by trying to handle all of this within REVIT. 

I've gotten this far with my panel schedule within REVIT so far:

currentpanelsched.PNG

What's highlighted are currently calculated values that I think could be replaced with actual project parameters but I'm not sure how. What's boxed in blue are just text that I also think could be replaced with project parameters. What I've done so far would work to finish the example I have above if I could then calculate sums of cells within the schedule but that doesn't seem to be possible, so I need to redo this with parameters.

I've been trying to get demand factors figured out as our load calcs seems to assume a 40% factor after 10,000 VA. I've set that to the demand factors within my project for HVAC, Power & Lighting - Dwelling Unit. Do I also need to go into each family and set that same demand factor within them? Is there a better way to do this?

Also if anyone has any idea how I can eliminate those blank rows at the bottom of my schedule I'd appreciate it.

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
GeeksCollaborative
in reply to: pedro

Pedro,

If I am reading this correctly, it sounds like you could setup your demand factor to be incremental by load and say that 0VA to 10,000VA is at 100% where the remainder is taken at a percentage (Oh well, reading it again it sounds like you've already done this).

Yes, you would have to go through and update all of the connected componenets to reflect the appropriate load classifciation; which in turn is using the appropriate demand factor. If you edit the families and make those a type parameter it would help speed up that process, then rather than editing the individual isntances, you could edit each type. I'm not sure if there is a tool out there that would do that for you but I'm sure someone has made one, somewhere.

You can pull the actual total demand factor (total percentage being calculated) of that load classifcation and show it at the bottom but you would need to modify the panel schedule template settings, not just the template. They are a bit particular as I'm sure you've found.

Those bottom lines may be for schedule notes and can be simply removed from the template. Either that or they are blank lines looking for load class information. Edit the template, then reapply the template to the schedule. If you need help with this I'm sure I could help you out.

Message 3 of 4
Chris.Aquino
in reply to: pedro

At this time, having demand factor of 100% for the first 10,000 VA and 40% for the isn’t something that Revit has functionality to support. Any calculations would have to be done manually.

As for Demand Factor, for convenience you can set them in the family.

One thing to note is that Demand Factors in the Project take precedence.  E.g., if you have a Demand Factor in a family called XYZ, and a Demand Factor in the project called DF, but configured completely differently, Revit will ignore the one in the family, and use the one in the Project. 

Chris Aquino
Adoption Marketing Manager | BIM Collaborate Pro
@Aquinotecture

Message 4 of 4

Chris,

Is the attached image not an example of the incremental load?

Shawn

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report