Revit MEP Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit MEP Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit MEP topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Has Revit MEP lost momentum in the UK?

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
arubus1977
1266 Views, 3 Replies

Has Revit MEP lost momentum in the UK?

The MEP industry seems to be struggling with the implementation of Revit MEP in the UK, perhaps due to many consultancies and contractors making uneducated business decisions, with regard to how they are going to move forward with BIM? Have many just bought into the hype?

Are there any firms in the UK that have tried to implement this software on a project, only to realise that they have had to pull the plug due to cost/time consideratons? Any news from companies that have had to do this would be an interesting read.

Having used the software for 6 months, I have found the software to quite simply be incomplete, poorly designed and overly complex. Yes, I appreciate that companies have to create their own content (to an extent), but come on Autodesk, if you are gong to put out a piece of BIM software, directed at the MEP market, supply content for the MEP market, but this is obviously too much to ask.

I personally know a large number of extremely talented and intelligent CAD colleagues and do not know why every one of them has struggled (and is continuing to struggle) with this software, to get a good implementation up and running, could this because they are not able, I think not, the problems are directly related to this poorly designed piece of software. Poorly designed, not a poor piece of software, as it does have potential.

The contract market rates are quickly rising in the UK due to the fact that there are not enough people proficient enough to use the software and to train the staff required is financially not a viable option for many due to the time and cost it would take to get people up to speed, a software, not skill problem.

The majority of tasks when using this software cause you to hit a brick wall, problem after problem, there should be a learning curve to a piece of software, but due to this software being the opposite of user friendly, it has no learning curve, just a vertical line.

I will personally sit back and wait with interest, to see how the workflows develop with regard to BIM and also to see how the BIM competitors to Revit MEP develop.

1. How many experienced CAD people have struggled with this software more than any other that they have learnt?

2. How many have stopped using it, due to various reasons as listed above?

3.  What does Autodesk think of the huge amount of negative information from users on the forums etc?

I can honestly see Autodesk falling flat on their face with this one, as there seems to be a large number of people that have simply 'had enough' of using this software.

I am now going for a drive in a car that was sold to me, as promised, that it would drive and handle smoothly on any given road, I'm just glad that after I bought it and looking under the hood, the car manufacturer didn't expect ME to build the engine before I could use it as it was marketed.

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
Sandleaz
in reply to: arubus1977

Have many just bought into the hype?

Not the hype of BIM (as in the mysterious database of stuff) ... but better coordination and accuracy than autocad.  Also, the drawings look better.

Having used the software for 6 months, I have found the software to quite simply be incomplete, poorly designed and overly complex.

You haven't used it long enough to make that kind of a statement.  I've encountered many "errors" in programming in REVIT and have to work around it.  REVIT is far from perfect and needs serious competition to kick autodesk's rear end into making a better product.  We don't want the software to be more dumbed down or more restrictive to the more advanced users that can use it (in favor of new users).

they have had to pull the plug due to cost/time consideratons?

Yes, it's more cost + time spent on the model/drawings for better coordination.  That's the trade off.  You can also impress your clients with pretty renderings.  The drawings themselves come out better and clearer in REVIT if you intend on using the section and 3D views that are easily created (but you must put in the effort of getting your stuff to look right / the way you want it to).

but come on Autodesk, if you are gong to put out a piece of BIM software, directed at the MEP market, supply content for the MEP market, but this is obviously too much to ask.

Do you want autodesk to create every single item that's in or not in existence that might go into your project?  They have the basic content including stuff you can't edit like ducts or pipes (at least easily).  You make your own families or find them online.  Did you want all your autocad blocks to be provided by autodesk as well?  

The majority of tasks when using this software cause you to hit a brick wall, problem after problem, there should be a learning curve to a piece of software, but due to this software being the opposite of user friendly, it has no learning curve, just a vertical line.

This underlined portion is wrong.  There's a learning curve but it's not rocket science.  It's only a brick wall to those that are unwilling or impatient to try to solve whatever they have to ... to get REVIT to do what they want it to do.  If something does not work, try something else.  Consider it an interesting challenge and when you found the solution, consider it another victory.  It's not the most user friendliest software that I've ever used, but it's not horrible.

I personally know a large number of extremely talented and intelligent CAD colleagues and do not know why every one of them has struggled (and is continuing to struggle) with this software, to get a good implementation up and running, could this because they are not able, I think not, the problems are directly related to this poorly designed piece of software. Poorly designed, not a poor piece of software, as it does have potential.

REVIT has problems, but we have work-arounds or figure out ways of dealing with those problems.  Your talented and intelligent CAD colleagues should understand that it's normal to struggle with a more complicated piece of software than what they're used to.  They're not drawings lines in 2 dimensions anymore.  There's less "diagramaticism" and more realism than they're probably used to.  

1. How many experienced CAD people have struggled with this software more than any other that they have learnt?

I struggled a bit in the beginning, but the client loved the first REVIT project we worked on, the contractors were also very happy that our stuff was coordinated.  This was back in 2008, I was very inexperienced then, and I didn't know what I was doing.

2. How many have stopped using it, due to various reasons as listed above?

I didn't and know noone personally that did.

3.  What does Autodesk think of the huge amount of negative information from users on the forums etc?

What negative information?  Some people ask for help and other people give advice.  There's not much advice I can give you other than stop complaining and try harder. 

Message 3 of 4
mmcglone
in reply to: Sandleaz

I am going to have to agree with Sandleaz.  In my experience it's the "old timers" who have been working in cad forever that have problems with Revit.  You can't sit down and work in Revit and expect Cad experience to help.  They are different beasts.  There are a few things that are harder or frustrating in Revit, but once you figure out how you have to do things it gets easier.

Message 4 of 4
wim
Contributor
in reply to: arubus1977

Revit out of the box is an extremely rough diamant. To be honest with you, we've spent a few 1000 hours to setup a complete working method with template, libraries, macros, ... for the Belgian market. You can't expect every user to do this, that's why we make our solution commercially available. Not a single family is used from the standard content, all is custom made. Get an impression of our results at http://rme-be-nl-demo-localiser.blogspot.be

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report