Revit MEP Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit MEP Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit MEP topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Has anyone used Revit MEP for an entire Central Utility Plant (CUP)?

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
plawton5092
1448 Views, 4 Replies

Has anyone used Revit MEP for an entire Central Utility Plant (CUP)?

Has anyone used Revit MEP to design an entire Central Utility Plant (CUP)?  How did it go?  We're looking at a 52,000 sf CUP and we want to hear about hurdles ...

Thanks

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
Jrobker
in reply to: plawton5092

Hurdles?

It's more like a pole vaulting with your shoes tied together while using a balsa wood yard stick to vault.

Well...not really...kinda.

Most HVAC equipment is so custom that the chances of you finding the families are pretty much nil.

You have to be knowledgeable and efficient in family making so that your families work right (if you are sizing with revit).

The families must be parametric because equipment changes atleast 7 times during the design.

As far as the modeling, it's actually pretty easy, because we typically have plenty of floor to ceiling height.

Coordination is easier, routing is easier and the construction documents look nice.

When I say easier, I mean than modeling the HVAC for a hospital with 12' FTC height with ALL disciplines crammed in a corridor.

The tricky part is finding or creating all of the different valves, pressure reducers, flow meters, etc (symbology) that suits your project and your company standards.

Now, 52,000 sf isn't going to be easy, but it can be done.

If I were on that revit team, I would rather work on the CUP than the main building systems design.

The image attached is a small chiller plant I'm currently working on.

Every pump, chiller, HX, etc in this building I had to model.

I could not find 1 piece of equipment (family) that I could use.

Good Luck.

"It's hardware that makes a machine fast. It's software that makes a fast machine slow."

Message 3 of 5
Ghassan76
in reply to: Jrobker

Dear Sir, I am really a very glad to see this attached pic showing alot of pumps connected to more than one chillers. Please would you help and explain to me how we can connect more than one pump to the same pipe system with chillers and fan coils. The flow factor for pump is not show in the family parameter. When i inspect the system the total flow is correct up to pumps and then it will be zero, for chillers also the flow is zreo but it is well connected and no proplem with fan coils.

please send me your e-mail

ghassan76ha@yahoo.com

Message 4 of 5
plawton5092
in reply to: Ghassan76

Well, we don't use any of the 'engineering' functions in revit, as the program is too unreliable, and autodesk has no incentive to make it useful in that way.  As the engineer of record, of course, we DO have several incentives to get it right, so we use other tools for the engineering, and revit for the graphics.

Best of luck to you.

Message 5 of 5
Ghassan76
in reply to: plawton5092

If Revit cannot do it who will?

I think there should be some way to connect the equipments together.

Anyway, thanks a lot for your response.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report