Revit MEP Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit MEP Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit MEP topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grounding Connectors in Revit

5 REPLIES 5
SOLVED
Message 1 of 6
rahulbabucs
4958 Views, 5 Replies

Grounding Connectors in Revit

I have been creating BIMs for BURNDY LLC, which manufactures connectors for splicing, tapping, terminating, conducting or grounding. I would like to know the possibility and probability of such connectors to be used in Revit Projects.

Revit has the following system types for Electrical Connectors:

•          Data
  •          Power – Balanced
  •          Power – Unbalanced
  •          Telephone
  •          Security
  •          Fire Alarm
  •          Nurse Call
  •          Controls
  •          Communication

I am unsure as to which of the above mentioned types I should use to classify the Burndy Connectors into. I have attached a few specification sheets of the products that I intend to create in Revit Family Creation.

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
CoreyDaun
in reply to: rahulbabucs

Hello, and welcome to the Discussion Groups!

The Electrical Connector in Revit does not represent a physical connection. Rather, it determine what type of electrical system the element can be connected to in the Project environment. The physical connections are represented by Conduit Connectors.

Corey D.                                                                                                                  ADSK_Logo_EE_2013.png    AutoCAD 2014 User  Revit 2014 User
──────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────
⁞|⁞ Please use Mark Solutions!.Accept as Solution and Give Kudos!Give Kudos as appropriate to further enhance these forums. Thank you!
Message 3 of 6
rahulbabucs
in reply to: CoreyDaun

Thank you for your expert opinion. So, what I infer from your reply is that physical connections can be made only using Conduit Connectors. Burndy Connectors are primarily used for connecting and terminating wires. Therefore, will it find relevance in Revit Projects? 

For your reference, I have attached a few images showing how wires are connected using Burndy Connectors.

Message 4 of 6
CoreyDaun

In Revit, the Wires do not physically exist. Wires are represented by data (in Tags and Schedules) and/or by drawings Wires which are annotations, meaning that they behave very similar to Text, where it exists only in the View in which it was created and does not exist as a model component in the Project. Currently in Revit, even Conduit and Cable Tray do not contain any Wiring information, and are pretty much dumb elements that are created for modeling purposes.

See Revit help for more info on Wiring: Adding Wire

Corey D.                                                                                                                  ADSK_Logo_EE_2013.png    AutoCAD 2014 User  Revit 2014 User
⁞|⁞ Please use Mark Solutions!.Accept as Solution and Give Kudos!Give Kudos as appropriate to further enhance these forums. Thank you!
Message 5 of 6
CoreyDaun

Additionally, that level of detail is typically discouraged in Revit. Modeling down to the screw is not really indented in Revit; that would be more in Inventor's domain. Creating Families with extra fine detailing tremendously bulks up the file sizes, and if tens of thousands of these will exist in a Project... no good. Extremely fine details are best handled by using parametric data rather than actual model elements.

Message 6 of 6
rahulbabucs
in reply to: CoreyDaun

Thank you so much for your valuable response. It was very helpful for me. 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report