Revit MEP Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit MEP Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit MEP topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Getting room tags to show - Best method

11 REPLIES 11
Message 1 of 12
dglenn9000
11786 Views, 11 Replies

Getting room tags to show - Best method

To get room tags to show I usually set revit links to custom and choose the view from the arch model that has the room tags. 

Is there an easier method that doesn't involve setting revit links to custom?  

I know I could create the room tags for every room myself. Is that the most common way? It seems like creating the rooms in the mep model is a lot of work esp if the arch is constantly changing design. Wouldn't you end up with a lot of coordination alerts as the arch changes design?

Thanks

11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12
CoreyDaun
in reply to: dglenn9000

I don't like to set the View to a Linked View, because you cannot move the tags out of the way if they interfere with our design elements. Our method is to use an actual Room Tag and tag the Rooms within the Linked Model. I create a specific View for each floor/level that serves as a 'master' Room Tag View, and then Copy/Paste (aligned to same place) the Room Tags to the other Views as needed. It is a little bit tedious, but not too bad. And regarding the architect changing the design, that would typically mess us up anyway, and moving the Room Tags is easy enough to fix.

Corey D.                                                                                                                  ADSK_Logo_EE_2013.png    AutoCAD 2014 User  Revit 2014 User
──────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────
⁞|⁞ Please use Mark Solutions!.Accept as Solution and Give Kudos!Give Kudos as appropriate to further enhance these forums. Thank you!
Message 3 of 12
abulla
in reply to: CoreyDaun

So you guys don't place Spaces at all, just use Room Tags?

Message 4 of 12
CoreyDaun
in reply to: abulla

We do, and we use the Space Naming Utility as well. We do require the Space Names for a few things (such as Panel Location on the Panel Schedules). One of the reasons that we like to use the Room Tag is that Spaces seem to get in the way a bit more when doing the design work, especially when modifying ceiling boundaries. (We control the ceiling grids for the purposes of lighting design, and therefore they are created in our MEP model.) Also, we work with a good number of different architects and it convenient to be able to just grab there Room Tag instead of recreating it as a Space Tag. Lazy...

Corey D.                                                                                                                  ADSK_Logo_EE_2013.png    AutoCAD 2014 User  Revit 2014 User
⁞|⁞ Please use Mark Solutions!.Accept as Solution and Give Kudos!Give Kudos as appropriate to further enhance these forums. Thank you!
Message 5 of 12
abulla

Ah got it, makes sense. Also,

" (We control the ceiling grids for the purposes of lighting design, and therefore they are created in our MEP model.)"

Color me jealous.

Message 6 of 12
Sandleaz
in reply to: abulla

In older REVIT MEP versions, I believe you had to create spaces first --- then create space tags.  Never version allows you to just place in room tags (shortcut RT).      

Message 7 of 12
abulla
in reply to: Sandleaz

Yes, we're currently debating whether to even place spaces any more if we're not going to try and do heating and cooling loads. The only compelling reason not to that I've heard (thanks CADastrophe) is that Panel Schedules can only read Space Names.

Message 8 of 12
dglenn9000

I guess it is all dependent on the project size. It makes sense to me if the project is mid size or smaller. My current project 24 floors (17 unique, 7 typical). Not sure if in model room tags would be worth managing. I see pros and cons to both methods. On the other hand, we have a 4 level dormitory that room tags would be easy to manage.

I guess I would prefer if Revit provided a way to link/display room tags from the arch model with revit links set to host insteaded of linked views.

Message 9 of 12
CoreyDaun

Well, the major advantage I see to using Space Tags is that you can use the Tag All command on the Spaces. Unfortunately, this command does not "reach into" a linked model to Tag embedded elements, so the Rooms would have to be Tagged manually, or via the "Master View / Copy & Paste" method I previously described.

Of course, one would have to make frequent use of the Space Naming Utility. There is another situation we've encountered which involved floor finishes (I haven't any details on this) - for some reason (I believe due to the elevated "floor" of the Room) the Space would not associated with the Room, and thus would not be corrected by the Space Naming Utility. That's another reason to use the Rooms Tags, I suppose. 

A possible alternate method (which we use to show Room Numbers on demolition sheets) is to create a specific Room Tag View that has every Category hidden except for the Rooms and Room Tags (could be set to a Linked View). This View can be overlaid on top of the plan Viewports on the Sheet Views. Once overlaid, you can select the Room Tag View and hide it by element. This will hide the View Title and make that View unselectable so one cannot accidentally activate that View by mistake.

Of course, since a View can only be placed on one Sheet, you would have to Duplicate (as dependent) this View once for each Sheet in which you need to overlay it.

Message 10 of 12
Sandleaz

I guess it is all dependent on the project size. It makes sense to me if the project is mid size or smaller.

No it doesn't.  It depends on whether you want your drawings to show room tags in good locations or room tags in bad locations.  There's not much work to tag rooms in REVIT ... what about tagging your other pipes/ducts/equipment or having notes?  Do you avoid that as well because there's more work involved.       

My current project 24 floors (17 unique, 7 typical). Not sure if in model room tags would be worth managing. I see pros and cons to both methods. On the other hand, we have a 4 level dormitory that room tags would be easy to manage.

Do you care how your drawings turn out?

I guess I would prefer if Revit provided a way to link/display room tags from the arch model with revit links set to host insteaded of linked views.

Again, are you going to work around how the architect's views work, where the architect's room tags are?  Are you going to locate your pipes/ducts/equipment to not be in conflict with the architect's room tags?  What if the architect deletes their views you're linking?  Are you going to blame the architect for that?  Or are you simply going to force the architect to make the views in their architectural file(s) to fit your needs and harrass the architect about putting room tags in correct locations?  

Message 11 of 12
dglenn9000
in reply to: Sandleaz

There's not much work to tag rooms in REVIT ... what about tagging your other pipes/ducts/equipment or having notes?  Do you avoid that as well because there's more work involved.  

Again, are you going to work around how the architect's views work, where the architect's room tags are?  Are you going to locate your pipes/ducts/equipment to not be in conflict with the architect's room tags?  What if the architect deletes their views you're linking?  Are you going to blame the architect for that?  Or are you simply going to force the architect to make the views in their architectural file(s) to fit your needs and harrass the architect about putting room tags in correct locations?  

Yes, I would say tagging hundreds of rooms for each disciplines (Mech, Plumb, Fire Pro, Telecom, Lighting, Power) and then repositioning them so tags are not covered in each view CAN be a big task if required to do it multiple times on big job.

Due to budget constraints I cannot warrant spending hours on things if there are more efficient solutions for. That is why I started this post. My intent was to find out if there are other methods and see what others are doing, not for you to get up tight about room tags being covered by duct or pipe. Relax! 

Message 12 of 12
Sandleaz

Yes, I would say tagging hundreds of rooms for each disciplines (Mech, Plumb, Fire Pro, Telecom, Lighting, Power) and then repositioning them so tags are not covered in each view CAN be a big task if required to do it multiple times on big job.

Due to budget constraints I cannot warrant spending hours on things if there are more efficient solutions for. That is why I started this post. My intent was to find out if there are other methods and see what others are doing, not for you to get up tight about room tags being covered by duct or pipe. Relax! 

dglenn, i've dealt with some ridiculous deadlines and witnessed some atrocious project management from folks that gave me the work.  It's probably what you're dealing with as well.  However, I hope you're not responsible for every discipline's (that you mentioned) drawings --- that's a lot of work to be placed on 1 person.  I'm responsible for only my drawings (aside from coordination, design, calcs...), and I make them as best as I can even if the time I am given is nowhere close to being reasonable.  Whether or not someone else's drawings look good, is not of my concern  --- that doesn't mean I don't point out any apparent errors I see on other people's drawings.   

The thing is --- if you're worried about saving time placing room tags in every room --- does that mean you have time for everything else or is there incompleteness in other parts of the project --- if you sacrifice doing this task, everything else is OK?  Lets say you have 6 sets of drawings x 24 drawings per discipline x 200 rooms per drawing to tag.  That's a grand total of 28,800 rooms to tag.  At 1 room tag per 2 seconds (this is very conservative, once you go into room tagging mode, you don't have to type RT after the first time ... it's all left clicking from there) --- you need about 16 hours to tag 28,800 rooms.  If you can get a few more people to help you, that would be even better.  After you get that done, you know you have room tags in good places and can move them around easily if you need to.          

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report