Revit MEP Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit MEP Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit MEP topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

gbxml wall height

4 REPLIES 4
SOLVED
Message 1 of 5
dtiemeyer
710 Views, 4 Replies

gbxml wall height

When I export my Revit model by spaces, it creates an XML file that contains walls, openings, etc.  But the wall 'height' value is set to wherever the 'space interior fill' ends, which is usually the ceiling. Common load calculation programs need the 'floor to floor' height (or at least floor to bottom of floor above to be most accurate). Is there any way to get Revit to export this more useful value?  It is saved on the space object, as  Space > Constraint > Limit Offset.   Are there any settings for GBXML export anywhere?

Even if those settings are text files or xml settings files, I'm interested (doesn't have to actually be a dialog box full of settings).  Thanks.

My other CAD is a Cadillac and I like to Revit to the Max!
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5

Usually when you export to GBxml, only Room or Space Volume is calculated. If other Third party require wall height then you may need to ignore ceiling room bouding or create a plenum space between the ceiling and the the floor above it.

You could also try the Export Complixity on the General tab and see if one of these options will export the wall hight

export complexity.png

• Export Complexity - specifies the level of detail provided for openings, and whether shading surface information is exported. Shading surfaces are surfaces that are not adjacent to any space, and include surfaces that create a solar obstruction. Only used with Energy Analysis for Autodesk® Revit® or Export gbXML. Simple complexity is used for heating and cooling loads analysis.
    • Simple - curtain walls and curtain systems are exported as a single opening (without individual panels). Simple is more appropriate for energy analysis.
    • Simple with shading surfaces - same as simple, but with shading surface information exported.
    • Complex - curtain walls and curtain systems are exported as multiple openings, panel by panel.
    • Complex with shading surfaces - same as complex, but with shading surface information exported.

Shading surfaces are not associated with any room/space (roof overhang, free-standing wall).

• Complex with mullions and shading surfaces - same as complex, but with mullion and shading surface information exported.

Mullions in curtain walls are exported as shading surfaces. A simple analytical shading surface is produced from mullions, based on the centerline, thickness, and offset.

Alaaeldin Alsahli

Please mark Accept as Solution if your question is answered. Kudos gladly accepted. ⇘
Message 3 of 5

Hi Alaaeldin ,
Thank you for your response. With it I've come up with a workaround, however I'm hoping for something even better.
Two questions based on your response:

1) When you say "create a plenum space between the ceiling and the the floor above It" do you mean to actually add another space and mark it as 'plenum' or is there some way to divide a space and mark a portion of it as plenum?

2) When I have an architectural model (with ceilings) linked into my MEP model, is there any way to have either the spaces or rooms in my MEP model ignore the ceilings? Or is the only process to modify the architects model to uncheck 'room bounding' on all of their ceilings?
Cheers,

Dustin
Message 4 of 5

1) add another space and mark it as 'plenum' since space separator only work between walls

2) I tried to assign the ceiling to a workset and close it (didn't work)

I Tried with link visibility graphics (didn't Work)

So I guess you need to open the Arch file and uncheck room bounding for ceilings

Since I don't know what the results look like once it is imported into the program you are using, you need to test it. See which of these alternative solutions works better for you.

I guess you need to set a workflow with the architect with the new upcoming project and consider the ceiling as room bounding or not

You could always send a wishlist request to our development team about including more geometry for the GBxml

Here is the link for the wishlist

http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/index?siteID=123112&id=1109794

Alaaeldin Alsahli

Please mark Accept as Solution if your question is answered. Kudos gladly accepted. ⇘
Message 5 of 5

Great, thank you!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report